DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SR5
Color: White
Engine: 1995-1997 318ci (5.2L) Natural Gas V8 200hp 430lb/ft
Rep:10
jbsails is on a distinguished road
Default Dash Cover Overlay...Anyone ever done this?

My dash is cracked and in pieces...not pretty. The truck is new to me (I just bought it this weekend!), and I want to repair this eyesore.

I have seen the hard dash overlays advertised in different spots on the net...I am pretty certain LMC Truck has them.

So...my choice is to purchase one or...go to the junkyard and try to find a decent dash for swap out to mine. This is the least desired as I have no idea how big a job that is.

Has anyone else got this dash problem and have any of you done the hard cover overlay? I would appreciate any insights you may have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cracked Dash.jpg (110.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Drivers Side Exterior Fr. Qtr.jpg (77.3 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:11
GreenGoblin is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forums. The cracked dash is part of the Dodge Ram owner experience. When looking for Rams last summer it became apparent quickly that this was a common issue.

I went with an aftermarket cap, decent fit and quality, but not OEM looking at all. However, 100x better than the way it looked before.

I looked at the junkyards also, but most of those were in pretty bad shape or cracked when I tried to remove them.

The next alternative is to fully replace the dash with an OEM replacement dash, which more time consuming and more expensive, but looks great in contrast to the cap.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Former Senior Member

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Here's a thread on one and some member comments: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=97023

Anything you find in the junkyard is gonna be just about as bad as yours. Even if it isn't, I wouldn't waste the 5-6 hours pulling one, then the 5-6 hours pulling yours, then the 6-7 hurs putting it back in.

I've done it once...once.

Last edited by Warlock III; 01-17-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
GearHd6 is on a distinguished road

That is so strange. What causes it? The dash in my 96 2500 was like brand new when I sold it a couple weeks ago. I had the truck for 13 years so I know it was never replaced. I've heard of them cracking but never knew why.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Former Senior Member

Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
That is so strange. What causes it? The dash in my 96 2500 was like brand new when I sold it a couple weeks ago. I had the truck for 13 years so I know it was never replaced. I've heard of them cracking but never knew why.
^^My thoughts exactly^^

I've worked in scrap yards for years and have only seen ONE out of the hundreds, if not thousands, that wasn't cracked. Any advise on winning lottery numbers? Maybe your luck will wear off on me.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
GearHd6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock III View Post
^^My thoughts exactly^^

I've worked in scrap yards for years and have only seen ONE out of the hundreds, if not thousands, that wasn't cracked. Any advise on winning lottery numbers? Maybe your luck will wear off on me.

LOL, I'll be keeping those winning lotto numbers for myself.

I always thought the cracking was a rare occasion seeing mine looked perfect. I guess I was just lucky like you said.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

It was due to the material used at the time, as it oxidized and was subjected to the heat cycles under the glass it became brittle, most plastics/vinyls do this, and almost all cracked. If you didn't have this happen, then you were VERY lucky. My dad's '98 2500 cracked back in '09 so it was time to trade it in for his '08 cummins; he was lucky his lasted so long.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Former Senior Member

Yep. It's an Ultra Violet Ray thing.

Chrysler's had their share of issues with UV ray. I think one of the worst ones was paint starting in the early 70's. The UV rays would penetrate the clear coat, and as it was reflected off the paint, it would get trapped and cause the paint to peel and/or blister.

It's my understanding that a similar thing happened with the dash pads and the windshield. The rays would pass through the windshield, reflect off the dash pad, but couldn't escape back through the windshield magnifying the rays and accelerating deterioration.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 AM

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Also one thing ive noticed clean dash with soap and water once a year, treat it with a good armor all at least twice a year. And as for paint having 2 of these gen 2 trucks 95,01 it depends on where it was built the 95 has the rust race stripe. 01 dsnt I thought it might have been caused by ladders on the ladder rack but studying others noticed it was miss directed spray from factory. (uniform from end of hood to back of cab.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Former Senior Member

Any pointers on how to get the dirt out of the canyons on my dash, lol