DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 DODGE RAM
Trim Level: SLT
Color: WHITE
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
michaelman501 is on a distinguished road
Default Towing question ?

I just purchased a 2010 RAM CREW CAB 5.7 HEMI....I pretty much bought the truck for towing our 21 foot travel trailer. The trailer has a GVW of 5500LBS fully loaded. I decided to take the trailer for its first spin this afternoon just to see how it towed. I started the truck and while it was in park i pressed the tow/haul button and a number 5 appeared on the dash. I drove for about 10 minutes before coming back home..I really didnt think i was going to feel the weight back there at all, i was suprised that the accelaration wasnt as great as i thought it would be. I have towed the trailer with my 2002 trailblazer for the last 6 months and they both seem to accelarate the same...Is there something i dont know about tow/haul mode ? My truck only has 20,000 km's and runs great with TONNES of power...Maybe i just needed to really put my fut down on the pedal, any suggestions ?

BTW this is my first post on this site, i have learned so much already just lurking the forum, this is a great site!
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Give the computer a chance to learn both your driving style and the trailer. Since the system is adaptive, if you 'Granny Drive' it will learn that and become slow and non-responsive. If you drive aggressively, it will learn that too, and respond faster and more aggressively. The gears in the rear end will make a difference too. If you have 3.21 gears, it will never be a screamer with the trailer. However, if you have 3.92 gears, you can still win the odd race with the trailer in tow.

Best thing to do right now is drive it and get to know it. Don't be afraid to test all the positions of the gas pedal. I find the position closest to the floor the most fun.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 02-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram 1500
Color: BLUE
stef0703 is on a distinguished road

When u push the tow haul button it as if the truck is in tiptronic mod .I've been told to use the tow haul when u are pulling uphill so u. An downshift
Old 02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 DODGE RAM
Color: WHITE
michaelman501 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
Give the computer a chance to learn both your driving style and the trailer. Since the system is adaptive, if you 'Granny Drive' it will learn that and become slow and non-responsive. If you drive aggressively, it will learn that too, and respond faster and more aggressively. The gears in the rear end will make a difference too. If you have 3.21 gears, it will never be a screamer with the trailer. However, if you have 3.92 gears, you can still win the odd race with the trailer in tow.

Best thing to do right now is drive it and get to know it. Don't be afraid to test all the positions of the gas pedal. I find the position closest to the floor the most fun.

Hey thanks so much for the post, i really appreciate it! I have DEFINATELY been driving like a granny haha, i am trying to see how many KM'S i can get out of this tank so i can justify buying the truck to the wife lol....I forgot to mention i have the 3.92 gears....I really just thought that it would really take off towing...I really noticed the trailer back there, it wasnt loaded at all, probably only about 4000 LBS...I just thought i would not notice it back there so much as the acceleration wasnt that great.

When in tow/haul mode do i need to use the + and - to switch gears or does the truck do it all on its own, how come when i am in tow/haul there is a 5 displayed on the dash ?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:49 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram SLT LONESTAR
Trim Level: 1500 SLT LONESTAR QC
Color: White
Rep:99
aepowell will become famous soon enough

It shifts on its own. I have the same weight camper as you(Jayco 23B) and my Ram even with 3:21 gears takes off so much faster that my old 2000 chevy 1500 with the 5.3 engine.

Aepowell Sherman,TX.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram SLT LONESTAR
Trim Level: 1500 SLT LONESTAR QC
Color: White
Rep:99
aepowell will become famous soon enough

It shifts on its own. I have the same weight camper as you(Jayco 23B) and my Ram even with 3:21 gears takes off so much faster that my old 2000 chevy 1500 with the 5.3 engine.

Aepowell Sherman,TX.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012
Trim Level: Express
Color: Grey
Rep:17
Cheatham is on a distinguished road

I was like you when i first pulled a trailer with a light foot but after a while when i had to and got into the throttle it felt as tho there was nothing there so i knew it had pulling power but i continued to feather the gas until i needed the passing power, if Dodge would stroke the Hemi and get the torque up in lower rpm band then we would have that light foot torque we or some would prefer.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Tow/Haul discussions from the past
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=96906

a more detailed explanation was done by TransEngineer
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94583

I was taught when driving even construction vehicles with automatics, such as those with the Allison Automatic, that when pulling a load, you are suppose to shift manually on take offs, you have more control of the shift points & it actually helps the transmission & engine, you just need to watch your tachometer & don't over rev the engine

When going down a steeper grade, down shifting manually also saves your brakes, likely you have seen signs that read
'trucks use lower gears' . If you are pulling a heavier trailer, that is a good rule for you too
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 02-03-2012 at 03:46 PM.