DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Spud67 is on a distinguished road

Yes the 430N RHB is a Garmin based unit and it is right on the money with routing. I was at the dealership today and tried a RHB in the showroom in a new 2012 van and it routed from Regina, SK to Swan River, MB absolutely the way I would normally travel. Also it routed the same as my Garmin Legend handheld GPS.
The 730N RHR has Enhanced GPS , that is what is in my Longhorn and from Regina to Swan River, it routed an extra 300 kms on a 400 km trip.

I talked to the service guy and he said there is an update coming in the Sspring of 2012. well I saw that info too, NAVTEQ websites shows that update due in the spring. Well, sorry, I don't beleive and map update from NAVTEQ is going to solve this issue. Unless the update has many more verified roads.

The fight is not over, I will go until they find a fix for this problem or they will install a 430N RHB and make a few monthly payments for me in leiu of the cost difference.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500
Color: White n Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
beechguyjim is on a distinguished road

Garmin is the best you can get , you can put all kind of custom POI files on it, They show the new roads and major changes before anyone else you can buy a lifetime update and get map changes four or five times a year. It's not the Navteq data that's bad it is the software from MYGIG or Harmon that is the worst I have ever seen.
I am in the thick of it with Ram and the dealer my new 3500 Longhorn came in with the 730N junk in it, my saleman that I have ordered 7 trucks from over the years knows that I wanted Garmin when it came in with the 730N junk he said he would change it out like he allways takes good care of me, then later that week he fell at the dealer and got hurt bad so he is out for about three months. I talked with the sales manager and he is blaming the salesman that is not there to speak for himself.
I got in touch with Dodge and there say they are going to see what they can do to switch it to the 430N
Old 01-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500
Color: White n Gold
beechguyjim is on a distinguished road

Update:
Dodge customer service and the dealer Royal Gate Dodge in St. Louis have given me the middle finger.
The dealer will sell me the 430N and give me a big 10% off the retail cost and only charge $95.00 per hour to change out the radio, This 2012 3500 will be the last truck or service I ever buy from Royal Gate Dodge.......

I guess customers that have spent over $300,000 over sixteen years walk into the dealership every day. I am going to ask my lawyer if I can put a sign in my back window saying ask me before you buy from this dealer and drive back and forth in front of there store.

Maybe there is a dealer out there in St. Louis that would like to have my Biz.....
Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

No new updates on this problem from my dealership service department. I emailed Navteq again to see what is included in the new update due out in the spring. The reply was:

"Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. Each update will include hundreds of thousands of new roads and points-of-interest. Many of the road additions are street-verified data. The more data your system has the better its ability will be in routing. I hope you found this helpful."

On thier web site I input the same start point at Weyburn, SK to the destination of Swan River, MB. It routed the same way that the 730N in the truck routes the trip. Both are 800 kms on a trip that should be 450 - 500 kms, looks like they are both using the verified data where Garmin and Magellan GPS unit appear to use all the data supplied by Navteq, including the in process data.

Everyone that has the 730N radio in your unit and have found routing to be out of wack for trips you take - complain to the service department. Let's get this fixed. In the parts of Canada that I may travel it would be nice to have this expensive navigation system work as well as my handheld Garmin. I don't want to have the garmin sitting on the dash of my Longhorn.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Back to the dealership again on Monday to talk to the sales rep. I bought the truck through as well as the sale manager. I will also get the service department manager involved if I have to.

I want the POS 730N replaced with the Garmin based 430N and a credit for the different applied to by big loan.

I will update what happens.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue pearl coat/Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:13
gysnst2 is on a distinguished road

I like the 430n garmin nav but I don't use the nav that much. I do like the HUD on the nav unit. I think that's great. My mother in law bought a 2011 town and county mini van it has the 730 in it. I love the interface. I love the fact I can dial right for the touch screen. I Like the voice commands. This is what the 430 n is missing. So far the nav seemed on par. But like I said I don't use the nav very much. I have not used a gps that has worked the way I wanted it to. Every. Every. I have used some pretty high tech gps's. Google maps with satellite view is all I ever want. I hate gps's that cannot do satellite view.

Also their is an update out for the 730.. Search around the Internet I saw it somewhere.

Let me add that I still cannot get the travel link to work on my 430n even with the updates. Actually it was working but it was not working before the update no it does nothing but ask me for a subscription service.
AVS bug guard, Mopar rubber mud flaps, Mopar vent visers, Snugtop cap, Remote tailgate lock, 392 LS, VHT tail lights, 9" LCD headrests, Debaged sides, tinted 20% front 35% rear, cabin air filter mod, topguncostumz 2,25 rear lift coils, bilstein 5100 set at 2.8, and bilstein 5100 rear shocks

Last edited by gysnst2; 02-06-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well, the dealership will not change out the 730N to the 430N because they will have to buy the 430N and they will not get a credit for the 730N plus they have to pay the lobor cost to have a service tech change out the system.

They are willing to download the NAVTEQ update when it is available in the spring and give it to me so I can try it. I wasn't going to pay $150 or $200 for the NAVTEQ update just to find out it didn't make a difference in the routing accuracy of the 730N.

I loaded the latest update from MyGig in the unit right after I bought the truck and found the update on MyGig forums website. The latest update from MyGig did not make a difference. I have been dealing with MyGig support as well but there is nothing they can to because Chrysler makes all the rules how the MyGig uses the raw data from NAVTEQ.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:11
SilverSport2011 is on a distinguished road

I have it in my 2011 Ram Sport I cant even type a destination in, it only comes up with some many letters and numbers that you can use sure would be nice to have one that I could use! It wont load my pics or music either to put on the hard drive
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Well I hope all everything got worked out for you.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 02-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500 Laramie
Trim Level: laramie
Color: White
River7rat is on a distinguished road
Default Another Crappy GPS

Hey Spud67,
I have the 2010 version of the same crappy GPS. This thing will direct you off a perfectly good highway onto some goat path to take you 100 km out of your way to get you onto another highway. I also have a portable Garmin that I use that is way easier to use and way better at choosing routes. I have complained to my dealer in Weyburn and they realize it is a lousy unit, but they don't seem to care enough to do anything about it. What suprised me is that they told me that starting in 2011 they used a garmin system that was much better. Now I find from you that the 2012 still has the Crappy system. The only time I try to use mine is in the city, but even then it is so user unfriendly. You know a street address and try to get there and it comes up and wants to know the postal code! I'm trying to drive there, not mail them a letter!!