DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1992 Dodge Ram W3500
Trim Level: SE
Color: Brown/ Red
Engine: 1989-1993 360ci (5.9L) Cummins diesel I6 160hp 400lb/ft
Rep:10
BillyWayne is on a distinguished road
Default Auto Trans

I just bought a 1992 Ram w350 diesel. I pull a 10500 pound boat in the mountains of Colorado. This pickup has an automatic with overdrive. I have heard these autos are not to good. Are there things I should do or not do? Any changes I can do to make it better? The tranny is working good now but I hate to have it go out on me this summer. Any help on this would be great. Thanks Bill
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWayne View Post
I just bought a 1992 Ram w350 diesel. I pull a 10500 pound boat in the mountains of Colorado. This pickup has an automatic with overdrive. I have heard these autos are not to good. Are there things I should do or not do? Any changes I can do to make it better? The tranny is working good now but I hate to have it go out on me this summer. Any help on this would be great. Thanks Bill
The old torque flites are actually very well built, my 46RH from my 95 ram van had close to 125K miles on it and I decided to rebuild it because I was going to be doing some serious towing and wanted to make sure that it will be bullet proof. Anyways the frictions and steels didn't have indications of ware and I measured the thickness of every friction and steel and they were to manufacture spec still, I replaced them with alto reds and koleens though. The only issue with these transmissions other then heat is that the sloppy assembly, the total end play on most of the tf's they made wasn't near the sweat spot, it would either be to tight or to loose, generally I try to get .06" when I rebuilt a torque flite. When I measured mine it came in at .08" which is only .004" from it's maximum allowable end play, after the rebuild I got it to .059" which is perfect. An other problem is the planetary gears, they really mis-used them, for example in my van and some pickups they used a 3 pinion rear planet when they should of used at minimum a 4 pinion, the rear planet needed replacement and the only thing this van was used for up to manybe 6 months ago was highway driving. I upgraded to a 6 pinion and it runs much smoother.

For you I would recommend you slap an external transmission cooler. It will aid in cooling dramatically, another thing you could do is to remove the anti-drain back valve. Helps with volume. And of course regular fluid and filter changes along with band adjustments.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1992 Dodge Ram W3500
Trim Level: SE
Color: Brown/ Red
Engine: 1989-1993 360ci (5.9L) Cummins diesel I6 160hp 400lb/ft
Rep:10
BillyWayne is on a distinguished road
Default auto trans

Thank you very much for your reply. I have an internal and external trans cooler so I should be good. I will change the oil and have the bands torqued before I start towing this summer. Thank you very much.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWayne View Post
Thank you very much for your reply. I have an internal and external trans cooler so I should be good. I will change the oil and have the bands torqued before I start towing this summer. Thank you very much.
Not a problem, I rebuild transmissions, engine, rear ends and everything. I also tow a 32' travel trailer. Anyway's you don't torque the bands, you torque them then loosen them, if you tow often you should adjust the bands and change the fluid plus filter every 12,000 miles but thats only if you tow frequently. Now I recommend just my experience to have the transmission flushed every 50,000 miles. If you ever have any questions I am more then happy to answer them.