DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:206
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation *URGENT* Bed Removal

I have some help coming tomorrow to lift the bed off, all bolts are out, filler neck is loose...tail lights are out but wires are still connected to the bed across the back? Is this correct? I thought removing the taillights and disconnecting the lights/dropping the wire down was all but apparently the wires run from one side to the next and both sides still go into the frame?WTF? am I missing something? Thanks for your help in advance as I need to have it ready as I have a short window with help.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:26 PM

sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Ok, think I got it, had to pull all the push connections mounted to the lip on the bed under the tailgate area and feed the tail light wires through a channel on the bed so all the wires are free. I took the 3 torque screws off the filler housing which I assume will clear in the body behind the bed as it is lifted. Gonna walk it off so I have complete access to everything... I was trying to be my brute self again and lift up on the bed.... Oh no, my neck begged to differ...lol That hurt, so Im done for the night. Got a couple helping hands tomorrow and one saturday if I need it... so hopefully all goes smooth. Ill try to get some pics as i go.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 96 dodge ram 3500. 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 1996-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 215hp 440lb/ft(manual), 180hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:10
Nitro1 is on a distinguished road

Don't forget the ground strap towards the front of the box. Have a couple wooden horses ready so you can set it down without bending over. 4 people should have no problem. just remember to lift up over all the stuff. shocks are piece without that box there. Enjoy
Old 02-10-2012, 12:18 AM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Depending on how much mileage you have on the truck , this is the time to do the fuel pump . It's gonna be right there . I'd hate to see you put it all back together and in 2 weeks have the pump fail .
Old 02-10-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
Depending on how much mileage you have on the truck , this is the time to do the fuel pump . It's gonna be right there . I'd hate to see you put it all back together and in 2 weeks have the pump fail .
Its exactly why the bed is comming off, the fuel pump is shot. I bought the new one and my god these things are a monster !!! I replaced them in cars before but nothing this big...wooooo
Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 ram 5.9l
Trim Level: laramie
Color: white
Rep:10
NOTHINSEASY is on a distinguished road

Dude, I've been following your expierience with this for the last few days. I'm Steve, I'm in Edson alberta and am having the same problem. I just bought this 95 3 weeks ago. It started up excellent for the first 10-12 days. Then one morning it chugged and coughed , but it started. It was good for a day or two, then more chugging.On like the third day of difficult starting , I killed my battery. After 20 min of chugging with a booast it fired up. Once running it was fine all day. The net morning it killed my battery again so I quite trying and came to this forum. I'm no mechanic, or rich. so i sussed it must be fuel pump, and bought a used one for $100. It came from a truck with 240000km, but the brand was airtex which I know to be an aftermarket pump, the plastic housing is clean so I assume the pump was fairly new to the truck it came from.My tank has $60 premium gas and injector cleaner in it as I thought the chugging could have been gunked up works and such. So dropping the tank is not good. I thought about tilting/removing box. But It's just me. So I'm going to cut through box to get at pump. I know i have to cut through a rib, But I will bolt a piece of something back in place, and lay a sheet of plywood in box on my bedlinner. I came up with this on my own, but then saw a youtube video were some guy named Mike did the same thing. This is a secondary , garbage/material truck for my small carpentry company. So I'm confident the fix will suit my needs well. Plus if used pump fails, I just have to pop the hatch and easily change to a new pump when $300 dosen't hurt as much. while diagnosing problem I wanted to confirm lack of fuel so I incorrectly tried to see if fuel was coming through the line at fuel rail. So I removed brteather and had a friend look down the butterfly flappy thingy's(remember, not a mechanic). He couldn't see no fuel, because the damb thing fired right up, no chugging at all. And yesterday, after haveing the thing on a charger all night, and the hood opened to the morning sun. it fired up with very little chugging. I drove it to dump to clean garbage and ice out of bed, and made a few stops to check on price for gas line pressure gauge(no go , a couple hundred bucks). And of course , because I'm Canadian a stop at Tim Hortens for coffee. And it ran fine the whole time. I did not shut it off as I was already tempting a tow bill if it quit.Through the whole ordeal are temp is around -15 to +5(sorry for metric)........Could this be an air temp sensor problem($38) I can return used fuel pump. In your expierence and those who may be reading. Is it common for a dead fuel pump to work intermitantly, or when they are gone is that it, they won't work again. I kind of feel if i could force it to start today it would work all day for me. So what do you think , dead pump, or bad sensor. Thanks Steve
Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 PM

Well, I had the relay go out first. Replaced that and it ran fine until I parked it that one day and the next morning it wouldnt do crap... I have heard the pumps come and go at times especially in cold weather. My new one is an airtech as well. it was $236 with tax here, the Dalphi was $336 before tax but were exactly identicle so I got the cheaper airtech. It fired right up after installed. I didnt get any pics as it decided to snow and ice today so I was just busting ass to bet it done while I had some kids from my step daughters school here to help ( her boyfriend and his friends ) moved the bed off and sat it back on, I already have everything in place and bolted... ready for the road now.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

@ nuthinseasy... You must check fuel pressure, FIRST !!! making a gauge assembly is no big deal, the connection is a tire valve connection type thing, that the core sets in a little deeper that that of a tire. my gauge assy is from afixaflat can. with a longer hose and a gauge. You could, I suppose, unscrew the valve core on the pressure check either a little, or all the way, (I'm pretty sure it unscrews like a tire valve core) or, what I did was mushed up the squishable part of a pop rivet, to get the core pushed in when your psuedo gauge assy is connected. I spent so much money figuring out my intermittent pump problem years ago, it was embarassingly pathetic. now, I know better... Yeah, mine died in the winter, idle was generally ok, unless it was having one of its tantrums, which were generally initiated by 1. stopping for a sign, light, etc, then the pump not working, 300 feet down the road, and the engine leaning out (rotten feeling in the pit of your stomach ) or 2. going downhill as in to a river bridge, (and getting off the throttle) then going up the opposite side, the same thing as '1.' 20 minutes of sitting, and it would run fine again, albeit for only a few miles. a gauge beneath your wiper will tell all the secrets. I'll guess I had $2000 in figuring out the problem, cuz everything pointed at ignition, because the ECU was compensating for lean conditions by adjusting timing, etc, leaving me with backfiring, (both ends) running on select cylinders, etc. The one that really threw me off was that when it started and the pump began working, it ran like it was clearing out from being flooded, black smoke and all...(this was the ecu readjusting to having normal fuel again, I guess)