DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 4.7L Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007' 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:19
Tex is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Flowmasters: True Dual vs. Single in dual out

My husband is currently in Afghanistan and has expressed his desire for true dual flowmasters on his 4x4 Hemi 1500 Ram. I have a 4.7 1500 Ram 2WD and I'd like the same. Problem: The mechanic said it might not be possible to put the true dual kit on with 2 cats and no tips. This is also a project that means the world to me as a surprise for my husband before he comes home. He currently thinks it'll happen AFTER his return.

So, questions on which is better for gas? Sound? Performance? Any advice is appreciated!! I'm not the type to settle for less and you get what you pay for. I have an awesome shop willing to do the true dual for just under $500 for each truck [I've got a friend who's got a 4x4 jacked up 1500 Ram like mine I'm bringing in with me to have the same done on her truck]. So a 3 truck job makes for a great bargain with mechanics.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:48
ShiftJockey is on a distinguished road

Not sure what the tips have to do with it. The physical issue is that due to the fuel tank location, it limits the room you have to run a true dual system, with dual cats, dual mufflers, etc.

It can be done but it takes some planning and the pipes will be so close that you may not have room for a crossover or x-pipe.

To get around that, a lot of folks use a single in / dual out muffler with a bit larger Y-pipe to remove the restriction you find with the stock piece. Then you have a nice muffler in place, two tailpipes going out the back and the tips of your choice.

One concern for both trucks that you should be aware of. When you remove the stock system you end up removing the stock resonator at the end of the tailpipe. You could experience some resonance (drone) with an aftermarket system that you won't like at all. One way to avoid that is to make sure the shop puts on some resonators at the back. Later on, if you want to try it, you can cut out the resonators and see how it goes.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Resonators? I've never heard of those. I'm willing to get the single in dual out for the ease of it all but my husband is all for the true dual. He's got me hooked on the idea as well.

I'm curious about the true dual if we were just getting them for performance? No lift on either vehicle. If he's out in the woods hunting in the truck will there be any problems with true dual instead of the single in dual out? I really appreciate the info!!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:15 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I moved this thread into the 'Mod Zone' in the 4.7L exhaust section. I think you will get more response here. If not, it is at least a great place to read about what others with the same engine have done with their exhaust......and there are a lot of posts here.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I hope some of this info helps:

"True duals" does not increase performance. If you keep your stock exhaust but cut out the oem restrictive y pipe, and install a good free flowing one (magnaflow makes one, so does flowmaster, etc...) then swap out the oem muffler for an aftermarket one, it will perform better than "true duals". The crossover (connection between left and right cylinder banks) helps improve exhaust flow.

Now duals with an x pipe or h pipe connecting them together would perform better than "true duals", and likely better than the y pipe setup, but only better thanthe y pipe by maybe a couple hp, so it's really not worth the extra expense and weight. I always have thought the extra weight offset the couple hp gained.

Mufflers:
There's nothing wrong with flowmasters if that's what you want, just be aware they are chambered mufflers, not free flowing, so although they are a slight improvement over oem, they do not perform as well as a straight through type muffler (magnaflow, dynomax, etc...).

Your best bet for mpg, performance, and cost will honestly be a good y pipe (2.5" dual inlet/3" single outlet) to a muffler of your choice (straight through type will perform the best). You can do duals by using a muffler that is 3" single inlet/2.5" or 2.25" dual outlets.

Sound is very subjective. I like the sound of a y pipe and magnaflow, plus it costs less and performs well. Some like flowmasters though. And some just have to have the sound of true separate dual pipes. Not having a crossover(y, h, or x pipe) will hurt performance though.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
I moved this thread into the 'Mod Zone' in the 4.7L exhaust section. I think you will get more response here. If not, it is at least a great place to read about what others with the same engine have done with their exhaust......and there are a lot of posts here.
Brad, thank you for the move. I actually came looking for my post to update. I can actually check this area for more mods. Thank you again.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I hope some of this info helps:

"True duals" does not increase performance. If you keep your stock exhaust but cut out the oem restrictive y pipe, and install a good free flowing one (magnaflow makes one, so does flowmaster, etc...) then swap out the oem muffler for an aftermarket one, it will perform better than "true duals". The crossover (connection between left and right cylinder banks) helps improve exhaust flow.

Now duals with an x pipe or h pipe connecting them together would perform better than "true duals", and likely better than the y pipe setup, but only better thanthe y pipe by maybe a couple hp, so it's really not worth the extra expense and weight. I always have thought the extra weight offset the couple hp gained.

Mufflers:
There's nothing wrong with flowmasters if that's what you want, just be aware they are chambered mufflers, not free flowing, so although they are a slight improvement over oem, they do not perform as well as a straight through type muffler (magnaflow, dynomax, etc...).

Your best bet for mpg, performance, and cost will honestly be a good y pipe (2.5" dual inlet/3" single outlet) to a muffler of your choice (straight through type will perform the best). You can do duals by using a muffler that is 3" single inlet/2.5" or 2.25" dual outlets.

Sound is very subjective. I like the sound of a y pipe and magnaflow, plus it costs less and performs well. Some like flowmasters though. And some just have to have the sound of true separate dual pipes. Not having a crossover(y, h, or x pipe) will hurt performance though.
I appreciate the information on the pipes and mufflers. I ended up going with the 'single in dual out'. The sound and performance are more than I expected. I feel like I've got a pair of my own. I will be having the same put on my husbands truck next week and having more mods put on from there. Thanks again.