DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Off-Road
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Mopartruckin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
Next time you need a rebuild just fedex it to me! Problem solved! Staples that was easy!

Like I said before their should never be a reason to have to bring a rebuilt transmission back, if it didn't work the first time someone needs to be fired!

Trust tme when I say I will do just that. I appreciate all your insight.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopartruckin View Post
Trust tme when I say I will do just that. I appreciate all your insight.
I don't think you want to appreciate me tell you that your have been ripped off. But I know what you meant. Anytime you have any questions I'm always here to answer them!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Teach yourself, thats what I did. I rebuild motors, rear ends, the whole inchlada! But I specialize in the transmission because it's easy and fun. Rear ends I'm not great with, everything in a rear end has to be perfect. With a transmission the adjustments are very simple a caveman can do it. Which reminds me I'm surprised that the shop you took it to didn't replace any washers or spacers.... Hmmm
So how did you teach yourself, get a book, and open 'er up. Thats how I learned motors. Started in highschool. Also, what about t-cases? Would think after 170k that its probably getting sloppy, also I wonder how the limited slip is holding up? Might need to go through that unit as well
Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So how did you teach yourself, get a book, and open 'er up. Thats how I learned motors. Started in highschool. Also, what about t-cases? Would think after 170k that its probably getting sloppy, also I wonder how the limited slip is holding up? Might need to go through that unit as well
Well I memorized were all the components go and I read many documents and studies about transmissions and read about all the defects associated with these torque flites. But in all how I thought my self was by just removing the transmission and rebuilding it. Honestly, I have no clue how I thought myself, I just said ok time to rebuild the transmission, went underneath took it out rebuilt it then put it back in 2 days later and so far I have put about 1000 miles on it and their haven't been any problems. I corrected a manufacture defect which cured my 2-3 shift issue, I corrected my 3-4 shift issues, I corrected so many problems and the transmission just shifts quickly and firm yet smooth. I guess you can say I'm a prodigy, but I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, I'm just telling you the truth, honestly you learn alot from just tackling it. If you ever see a torqueflite broken down it's easier then it looks, surely when you see the parts blow up on the web it's scarey but when you actually do it with your hands it is like 1/10th of what you see on the web. Anyway's to answer the real question.

With a transfer case certainly at 170K it's going to get messy, if it's belt driven then the belt wares out if it's chain driven then usually it stretches, much like a timing chain or belt! If you have a transfer case that utilizes a gear system then sometimes people use the wrong fluid and the gears ware out. I prefer to use in a transfer case atf+4 because it has a high friction modification then DEX, so little less gear ware.

For LSD's around 150K is when things will go bad actually sometimes around 120K, most rear axles either they be LSD, OPEN, whatever will start to have issues in the 100,000-200,000 mile range, it just happens. My axle is having trouble now making some nasty grinding noises bearings shot the whole thing. But it happens, especially if you tow.
The clutch pack in a LSD will usually burn out somewheres in the middle 100K range, but it depends on how often it's used! And of course how well you take care of it, changing the fluid regularly, use of heavy weight gear oil and certainly the friction modifier.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 02-19-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Well I memorized were all the components go and I read many documents and studies about transmissions and read about all the defects associated with these torque flites. But in all how I thought my self was by just removing the transmission and rebuilding it. Honestly, I have no clue how I thought myself, I just said ok time to rebuild the transmission, went underneath took it out rebuilt it then put it back in 2 days later and so far I have put about 1000 miles on it and their haven't been any problems. I corrected a manufacture defect which cured my 2-3 shift issue, I corrected my 3-4 shift issues, I corrected so many problems and the transmission just shifts quickly and firm yet smooth. I guess you can say I'm a prodigy, but I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, I'm just telling you the truth, honestly you learn alot from just tackling it. If you ever see a torqueflite broken down it's easier then it looks, surely when you see the parts blow up on the web it's scarey but when you actually do it with your hands it is like 1/10th of what you see on the web. Anyway's to answer the real question.

With a transfer case certainly at 170K it's going to get messy, if it's belt driven then the belt wares out if it's chain driven then usually it stretches, much like a timing chain or belt! If you have a transfer case that utilizes a gear system then sometimes people use the wrong fluid and the gears ware out. I prefer to use in a transfer case atf+4 because it has a high friction modification then DEX, so little less gear ware.

For LSD's around 150K is when things will go bad actually sometimes around 120K, most rear axles either they be LSD, OPEN, whatever will start to have issues in the 100,000-200,000 mile range, it just happens. My axle is having trouble now making some nasty grinding noises bearings shot the whole thing. But it happens, especially if you tow.
The clutch pack in a LSD will usually burn out somewheres in the middle 100K range, but it depends on how often it's used! And of course how well you take care of it, changing the fluid regularly, use of heavy weight gear oil and certainly the friction modifier.

Yeah thats pretty much how I learned to build engines, my dad has been a hotrodder since the 60's and we just said, ok its time to rebuilt the motor in the 57', I want this..this..and this out of it so lets order parts. I was 11. I think I was 12 when I built my little chev 305 I got out of my uncles barn, then my 350, 327 and I a few I helped with friends through the years like a 455 for my best friends boat suzuki samuri etc. However I always had the machining out sourced. I dont get the least bit intimidated by that, but when it comes to trannys and t-cases diffs etc. I alway had a "guy" for that. So to my disservice never took time to learn. My t-case is chain driven, I am not hearing any "slap" but just want to go through everyting and rest assured she's good to go.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah thats pretty much how I learned to build engines, my dad has been a hotrodder since the 60's and we just said, ok its time to rebuilt the motor in the 57', I want this..this..and this out of it so lets order parts. I was 11. I think I was 12 when I built my little chev 305 I got out of my uncles barn, then my 350, 327 and I a few I helped with friends through the years like a 455 for my best friends boat suzuki samuri etc. However I always had the machining out sourced. I dont get the least bit intimidated by that, but when it comes to trannys and t-cases diffs etc. I alway had a "guy" for that. So to my disservice never took time to learn. My t-case is chain driven, I am not hearing any "slap" but just want to go through everyting and rest assured she's good to go.
Some transfer cases have a chain tensioner. But it should be fine, as long as you take care of it then no worries. You are lucky to have worked on engines like those, I haven't the chance yet!