DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
allen6006 is on a distinguished road
Question Was told i need new carrier bearings in the rearend?

I had my pinion seal replaced by a local shop last week due to it leaking.I was also hearing a winding/humming noise which is now much worse.I took it back to the shop and they said i need to have the carrier bearings replaced and the right seal was also leaking.Wonder why they didnt notice these things when they did the pinion seal??Anyway my question is how much is an entire new rearend?If im going to spend the money to fix it i want to beef it up as much as i can.What to do Oh another question is how much should the bearing and seal replacement cost?Guy quoted me at $4-500...sound about right??Def gonna get a second opinion!

TIA for the help!
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge RAM 4.8L 290ci
Trim Level: Quad Cab SLT
Color: Black
Rep:12
SuperiorStyles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SuperiorStyles Send a message via Yahoo to SuperiorStyles

for what it cost to repair you might wanna just beef it up with 4.10 or 4.56 and just add a Detroit true trac and new bearings. Do it right the first time and save time and money.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Archaea is on a distinguished road
Default Pinion bearing/seal included?

Good question, Allen6006. Let me piggyback... I had my clutch pack retainer clips explode. Didn't cause any damage (yet) so its driveable. I just ordered an Auburn rear diff to replace the stock ($480). I also ordered the bearing replacement kit, for about $125.

Does anyone know if the standard diff bearing replacement/overhaul kit includes the pinion bearing/seals or is this something separate? I'm trying to determine if the Auburn diff (Part no. 542070) and the bearing kit is all I need to have my diff completely re-done.

OK, sorry, now back to your question: One thing I've learned about these trucks, if you're going to have ANY work done on the rear end go ahead and have ALL of the work done on the rear-end. Why? Cause if it aint broke yet, its gonna break soon. Might as well save the headaches and extra cost/labor of having your rear-end worked on two or three times. Just my .02

Yes, I know. I'm not made of money either. And the rear-end deal on these Rams STINKS! But it is what it is and the rear of these trucks was designed by some intern who made $8 an hour. And Chrysler Corp denies any responsibility in spite of OVERWHELMING history of design flaws. Replace pinion seal and LSD/carrier and bearings all at the same time (gets rid of the clutch pack problem and pinion problem all at the same time). Costs about $1000 but it is still better than the $4000 per year (payments) cost of a new truck. Right!?

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-18-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7
Color: Patriot Blue
allen6006 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info!

I like to think i know enough to repair my own vehicle most of the time but one thing ive never repaired before is the rearend.Ive done wheel bearings,tranmission replacment,brakes,engine work,etc.(Not on this vehicle but several in the past lol)

Anyway, i dont have a problem with spending the money to fix it right just not sure what i need to get.Also dont know where to take it.If anyone knows of a place in Bay City or Saginaw Michigan that would be great!

Can someone give me an exact list of parts and a website maybe,i know thats asking alot but again im rearend retarted lol.Thanks
Old 02-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Archaea is on a distinguished road
Default I'm with you

Yep, I too am an idiot when it comes to rear-ends. I'm a reluctant learner on this however. I know enough to remove a few bolts and change my diff oil. But the last time I did it, I found a bunch of large pieces of metal laying in the bottom.

Some research on this forum told me that my clutch pack retainer clips had gone. And that catastrophic damage was possible if I didn't fix the problem. I also learned that the pinion seal was a problem on these trucks. So, your problem and mine are different but both common. While I have my diff replaced I am also going to have the pinion seal fixed BEFORE it breaks. You might want to ask your mechanic what your differential is- if its the stock (Dana I think) with clutch packs it might be a good idea to go ahead and replace before it becomes a problem.

And yes, it is a headache finding someone to do the work. I love my mechanic but gear work is a whole different ballgame. I called around local mechanics/trans shops until I found someone who sounded like they knew what I was in need of.

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 02 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
THK is on a distinguished road

Rear end work is not my fancy either, my c clips came ont, bearings failed, the net result was a new carrier, bearings, and labor......$1,300.00.