DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 O.R
Trim Level: Off Road Edition
Color: Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:11
Presleysdad is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 2000 1500 4x4 Trans problem

My name is Robert and I am new to this forum. I am having some transmission problems with my 2000 Ram 1500 4x4. The problem I am having is that when driving the truck normally sometimes the truck will not shift out of low until it reaches around 4000 RPM and then letting off the gas. It pulls as long as you hold the gas down and will only shift after the rpm reaches 4000 and you let off. It will not change as long as your foot is on the gas and only after the rpm's fall back down between 2500 and 3000 rpm. It only acts this way with low gear, after it changes out of low all other gears shift fine. And you might drive a few miles and have to stop, and it will shift fine out of low gear. It does the same thing when you have to hit passing gear, it will not shift out of passing gear until you let completely out of the gas. I have noticed sometimes that when you are driving down the road on a slight incline it will shift into low gear for no reason. I have owned the truck for over two years and it has always done this, it is not getting any worse, it just stays the same. The guy I bought it from had a new valve body put in the trans and it still did this same thing. I took it to a local highly recommended by a lot of people trans. shop on Monday. He said there was no codes and the trans. was not slipping any. He said he was 99% sure that if I changed the Throttle position sensor that it would fix the trans. Has anyone ever had this problem before? it's a cheap part that I can change myself. I am going to change it and see if it fixes it. Just looking for some other suggestions on what might be the problem. I love my truck and will never part with it, just need to get it fixed.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 02-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I agree with the TPS, it's a major cause of grief, and isn't too pricey, however, I would first zero out the computers, just for gee whiz, and turn the key to ign, disconnect the neg batt cable, turning the key off, and reconnecting the cable. (do this with the engine NOT running) If that doesn't cure it, I'd be buying a TPS, its easy to change, but I think you need a set of torx bits, at least on my trux. Drivers side of the throttle body, viewable looking at where the air goes into the engine, a 3 wire plug connector, don't break the lock tab. As a matter of fact, make sure it's plugged in properly, the tab has been known to be broken off, and the sensor merely LOOKS plugged in, when it in fact, is not... Good luck!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for your response, I will change it and keep you informed on the outcome. Thanks again
Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Changed the TPS sensor today, It helped some of the issues. It does not need to rev to 4000 and let off to shift. Now you can let off around 3-3500 and it will shift. It downshifts and changes gears a lot better, but now when you kick in the passing gear, it acts as if it shifted into neutral and just revs up. Let back off the gas and it shifts. It does not do this all the time, just every now and then. Acting like it shifts into neutral is a new thing, I reset my computer and have not had a chance to drive it. I did not reset it after installing the tps, so maybe thats what it needed. Is there anything else I can check?