DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:19
colingibb is on a distinguished road
Default Amp Install Complete - with Pics

Okay, so my Amp install is finally complete. I recently installed Polk Audio 6x9s (db691s) in the front doors and Polk Audio 5 1/2" in the rear (db451).

It took a while, but I just got an Autobahn 4 channel amp (A4004T) installed.

Here's what I did:

Power: brought through the plastic cover on the firewall
Remote: Connected to an accessory wire in the drivers side kick panel - was a pleasant surprise while testing that this wire actually retained power after the car was turned off along with the radio.
Ground: Connected to the Seat Bolt

Speaker Inputs: Connected the left front and right front speaker wires from behind the drivers and passengers kick panels to a PACAUDIO LOC converter. Split those wires using an rca splitter so I had four channels going into the amp.

Speaker Outputs: here's where it got tricky -- running the speaker wires to the doors. In the front, I put a hole in the rubber boot on the door side and passed the wire through it -- I also put a hole in one of the plugs on the car side and used this to pass the wire through.

Couldn't do this in the rear, because I didn't have the same plug available on the car side -- so, I picked up a 7/16 hole saw, drilled a hole through both the door and the side of the car, right under where the rubber channel is currently. Put rubber grommets in the holes, and wrapped the wire while passing it through from the door. This actually created a very professional installation.

Btw, the Amp is located under the drivers seat. Pictures are below.

Next Steps: Buy a subwoofer enclosure at D&B Sound here in Fort Wayne ($89), purchase a mono sub, and two 10" subs to install under the rear seat. This will be an easy install -- hookup a distribution block at the amp for power, splice an additional wire off the accessory wire (will probably run a switch up to the dash to turn this off remotely), ground and amp, and run RCA's from the AutoBahn amp RCA Outputs into the Mono Amp Inputs. Then connect the speakers :-)

Pictures below:

Front Door Speaker Wire

Back Door Speaker Wire

Amp Under Front Seat

Last edited by colingibb; 08-05-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Rep:19
colingibb is on a distinguished road

Oh yea, one thing I forgot to mention, this is all with the Factory Radio because I don't want to lose my free year of Sirius radio!
It sounds AWESOME, looking forward to putting the sub in there.

Oh yea, I also set the Amp to HPF and set it to the minimum which cuts off all frequencies below 50 kHz -- actually makes the speakers sound much better, the sub will cover these frequencies when I get it installed.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Very clean install. Nice job with the amp too
Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 PM

Vehicle: Blue
Rep:3944
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome job! I like DIY jobs, usually trouble free and easier for you to fix! Also no worries of someone messing up your stuff from being careless! Enjoy your new toys!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 PM

Vehicle: '08 Caliber & '09 Nitro
Trim Level: SXT CRD 2.0 / 2.8
Color: Stone White / Brilliant Black
Rep:426
LYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really nice

Great install Thanks for the pics
Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Nice , clean and hidden install .
Old 08-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 RAM 2500 QuadCab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:10
BigEdsGarage is on a distinguished road

Nice job!
I am new to the site and found it while searching for amp installations using stock head units.

I would like to retain my stock stereo for looks and for the sirius subscription. I was looking to run an Alpine 100x4 amp to new speakers (haven't decided which ones yet). I had a couple of questions.
1) Is all that is needed to run the signal to the amp a line out converter? I assume that is because the stock stereo has no rca outputs?
2) I have read elsewhere that the sound quality will be poor regardless of what amp and speakers I choose. And that line converters tend to feed noise into the amp. I am not looking for audiophile quality sound and don't plan on running a separate sub either. I just wanted a higher powered system and much better speakers to make the trips more enjoyable. Are you satisfied with the sound quality of the amplified stock stereo feeding better speakers through the amp?

Any help is appreciated!
Ed
Old 08-09-2009, 06:54 PM
erm

Nice job and it looks great!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEdsGarage View Post
Nice job!
I am new to the site and found it while searching for amp installations using stock head units.

I would like to retain my stock stereo for looks and for the sirius subscription. I was looking to run an Alpine 100x4 amp to new speakers (haven't decided which ones yet). I had a couple of questions.
1) Is all that is needed to run the signal to the amp a line out converter? I assume that is because the stock stereo has no rca outputs?
2) I have read elsewhere that the sound quality will be poor regardless of what amp and speakers I choose. And that line converters tend to feed noise into the amp. I am not looking for audiophile quality sound and don't plan on running a separate sub either. I just wanted a higher powered system and much better speakers to make the trips more enjoyable. Are you satisfied with the sound quality of the amplified stock stereo feeding better speakers through the amp?

Any help is appreciated!
Ed
1) Yes. That is exactly right.
2) A lot of newer amps will usually filter out the pop caused by turning on and off of the amp, and also any white noise that can come thru. Even alternator whine. I am using the stock radio with LOC to two amps and am satisfied with it for now.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 RAM 2500 QuadCab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:10
BigEdsGarage is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I have to pick out speakers and get the line out converter and I should be in good shape.

colingibb, how did your Polks fit in the doors? Anything to look out for like window clearance?