DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Jamie71 is on a distinguished road
Default Code 442???

Hey there, i posted awhile back about not having any heat and defroster not working along with a odor in the cab. Well i am getting a code 442 and a code 420. What is the code 442, i saw in the ram manual it is the evaporative emissions control unti and says something about a leak, if so where should i look and what to look for. Thanks and any help would be great

Jamie
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

Take off your gas cap, check the gasket for problems. Look at the neck of the filler, check it for dirt. Clean it all off, put the cap on and turn it until it clicks 3 times. Most of the time that's all that is needed. If the gasket was torn or looked bad, stop at the nearest parts place and get a new one (usually under $5) and replace it.

I had to buy a new gas cap, i spent a few extra $$ & got a locking cap

P0420
Normally this code is generated by a faulty converter. You do need to verify that there are no exhaust leaks prior to the post cat o2 sensor. I would also verify that the sensor wiring is all intact and not rubbing any metal items. There is always a chance that the o2 sensor could be giving a faulty reading, but in most cases this will also set an o2 sensor trouble code. You may want to visually inspect the catalytic converter for any heat marks, dents, and even go as far as tapping on the converter with a hammer. If there are any rattling going on, it is likely the converter failure though.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So the code 442 has nothing to do with the heater core or no heat and defroster, just asking.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie, i suggest that you go to youtube
there are a load of videos having to do with Dodge light truck heaters

3 vids are made by Heatertreater
they are trouble shooting videos
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Paultocologist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Jamie...did...you...check...the...thermal...relay? ?? I'm pretty sure I posted in your original thread.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name

Last edited by Warlock III; 02-23-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hey Warlock, no I didnt check the thermal relay, wheer is that located and what is the pic of? Still trying to figure out where the smell and no heat/defrost is
Old 02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Paultocologist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Inside the cab, passenger's side. Passenger's left toe should be pointing at it. Check the plug and pull the 2-7mm screws that hold it in and wiggle it out. If it's bad it can cause an odor.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name