DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
titanman2789 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig View Post
Has anyone considered the difference in cost when purchased new, A friend of mine was quoted 6000 more for the diesel. That's a lot of driving over the gas.
That is a good point. The diesel option listed on the ram website is about 7 grand.

Even with the DPF I still think that the diesel would get better mpg than a HD gasser. But even if it does, it's not much. So then I guess you factor in the cost of diesel over gas, you're going to have to drive a hell of a lot to recover the extra cost of the engine option. Maybe it wouldn't even be possible, assuming you had no problems with the HEMI.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: ram
Rep:10
keen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanman2789 View Post
The diesel option listed on the ram website is about 7 grand.
that's before you add the cost of adding a transmission to it - with the automatic, it's a bit over $8200 diesel option for 2012 MY.

Quote:
Even with the DPF I still think that the diesel would get better mpg than a HD gasser. But even if it does, it's not much
I've done about half a tank so far on our new '11 diesel (crew shortbed) we picked up monday - so far we're matching what my research showed we should expect - 14mpg empty for my typical commute (mix of 35/45/80 driving). (mind you, we didn't buy it for the commute - but who can resist getting some miles on a new truck?! )

The not-a-hemi 5.9 gas 2nd gen (quad longbed, 4.10) got 11-12mpg consistently for entire time we owned it (towing heavy we might hit 10mpg - towing light didn't change much)

My research indicated that the 5.7 hemi in a similar 2500 would get about the same as we got before - 12mpg.

Remember, when factoring fuel costs that the hemi claims to prefer at least mid-grade, so the price difference per gallon isn't so huge.

That said - without trying to factor in other costs (like that the diesel has a 3 gallon oil change, vs the hemi with <2 gallons) you'd save, say, $768 over 20,000 miles with the diesel in fuel costs - but it would take 200,000 miles to pay back the sticker price.

For the original question: Personally - the diesel isn't as much "fun" as the hemi when driving empty around town. Sometimes a bit more scary (pre-'12 HD trucks dont have traction or stability control) due to the turbo lag (start turning in front of traffic, apply a dose of WOT, lag lag lag -BAM- 650 torques. off throttle, try to correct the slide, regain traction, reapply throttle...). Once your up to interstate speed the diesel gets more fun - until you remember that it adds 800 pounds of weight to the front axle when you're braking and steering....

Mind you, that's 5 years of 2nd gen gas vs 15 minutes of 4th gen hemi test driving vs 4 days and a bit over 120 miles in the 4th gen diesel.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:40 AM

Vehicle: 2011 1500 & 2006 2500
Trim Level: Express &ThunderRoad
Color: Flame Red & White
Rep:15
2011lilred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen View Post
For the original question: Personally - the diesel isn't as much "fun" as the hemi when driving empty around town. Sometimes a bit more scary (pre-'12 HD trucks dont have traction or stability control) due to the turbo lag (start turning in front of traffic, apply a dose of WOT, lag lag lag -BAM- 650 torques. off throttle, try to correct the slide, regain traction, reapply throttle...). Once your up to interstate speed the diesel gets more fun - until you remember that it adds 800 pounds of weight to the front axle when you're braking and steering....

Mind you, that's 5 years of 2nd gen gas vs 15 minutes of 4th gen hemi test driving vs 4 days and a bit over 120 miles in the 4th gen diesel.
When I first got my diesel I definately noted it is a different experience. To add to keen's description, when accelerating hard and the boost kicks in then the clown in front of you slows down so you let off the throttle to go for the brake, but the turbo is still spooling so the engine is still pulling for almost a second while you are off throttle...makes you say WHOA!!

My diesel is 2WD and with the stock Michelins and the heavy front end, the truck would get stuck in wet grass - it wouldn't dig, it would just sit and spin on top of the grass, very embarrasing jacking up the truck to put boards under the tires to get out of your own front yard!! My Firestone Destination ATs solved that problem.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: ram
Rep:10
keen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011lilred View Post
My diesel is 2WD and with the stock Michelins and the heavy front end, the truck would get stuck in wet grass - it wouldn't dig, it would just sit and spin on top of the grass
bwahahahahahahahah. my '60 international 1 ton does that too, no matter what the tires. 900lbs of engine in -front- of the axle will do that for ya. sit-n-spin.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011lilred View Post
For about the first 50,000 miles after I bought the truck (new), I would hand calculate every tank and the overhead display was always within .2-.3 mpg. IMO this is an acceptable variance, because when the pump shuts off, sometimes I squeeze in another $0.75 sometimes it's up to $1.80 because I like to get it to a nice even amount. In fact, when you factor in that variable, it can makes hand calculating inaccurate by .2 to .3 mpg. I used to get about 17 mpg too, then I added the Hypertech programmer and the Airaid and the mpg took off!! They paid for themselves within the first year. In fact, it's been over 25 mpg on a trip back from NJ before. When I got to work today the overhead read 24.2 mpg. I had to drive around the base a little today and it dropped to 23.5 but by the time I got home it read 24.0 again and I haven't reset it in MONTHS. I just set the cruise and go for my commute (Stafford, VA into Washington, DC) and yes, it is a 2WD. I drove all week and still have 1/4 tank left with DTE reading 235 miles - it's all in how you drive.
Have you hand checked your mpg since you got the programer? Mine shows something like 22 mpg, but it hand calculates to more like 15 mpg. The programer screws up the overhead console and its not accurate anymore.