DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
dhellman is on a distinguished road
Default Need some help and advice

Does anyone know where I can find Bilstein 5100's front and rear for a good price? To level out the front end of a 2011 1500 4X4 outdoorsman. Or is it better to go with a lift kit?

Last edited by dhellman; 02-26-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I would definitely go with the Bilsteins rather than a spacer kit. I just installed all four on my 2006 quad cab and I love them. This should help make up your mind.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/...WebArticle.pdf

As for the best place to get them....it seems like they are pretty evenly priced everywhere I looked. Summit Racing or shockwarehouse.com seem to be about the lowest I've seen.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Pearl Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
seltzer is on a distinguished road

Great link on the shocks! Some seriously good information there.

It doesn't say whether an alignment is needed afterwards though, but I'm guessing yes?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you for the info. What is your clearance now? But do you know if it will cause the death wobble? Due to being an outdoorsman package?

Last edited by dhellman; 02-26-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 PM

starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by seltzer View Post
Great link on the shocks! Some seriously good information there.

It doesn't say whether an alignment is needed afterwards though, but I'm guessing yes?
Yes, an alignment is required after installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhellman View Post
Thank you for the info. What is your clearance now? But do you know if it will cause the death wobble? Due to being an outdoorsman package?
I just reread your original post and I guess I should have clarified...by lift kit did you mean an actual all the way around suspension lift kit or were you talking about a spacer-type leveling kit? My response was geared towards choosing between the Bilsteins and a spacer leveling kit. Obviously I recommened the Bilsteins hands down. As for an actual lift kit, it really just depends on what you want to do. If you are just looking to level the front, I still recommend the Bilsteins. They are a top-quality product and will level the front safely at a fraction of the cost of an actual suspension lift kit.

As for my clearance....I assume you mean what size tire could I clear now? I knew I was going to be leaving the stock 275/60/20 on so I only set my Bilsteins at 1.4" of lift. Most people go with the full 2.1" on the third gen trucks or the full 2.8" on the fourth gen trucks. I'm happy with mine because it still has a very, very slight front rake so that it won't squat when I haul something and the stock tires don't look too small. I did measure before and after and it seems to have given me exactly the amount of lift that it said it would at that setting. I'm sure I could very easily clear 35" tires with only my 1.4" front lift.

As for the death wobble question....I don't know about the fourth gens but I know that some of the third gen trucks reportedly have a slight vibration in 4x4 from the factory as a result of the stock suspension geometry. Some have reported that this can be slightly intensified by a leveling kit. It seems to be hit and miss....some have it, some don't. I personally have never noticed it before or after the level. I also don't know if or how the front suspension on an Outdoorsman differs from a regular fourth gen Ram. I would try some googling because I bet there is info out there on this topic. Also, maybe someone with a little more info will chime in.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:10 AM

Well this doesn't apply to me so I don't know why it interested me so much but it did, lol. So I did some googling of my own.

It seems to be a point of contention among some but most people agree and measurements seem to show that the Outdoorsman has 0.7" of front lift from the factory over non-Outdoorsman trucks due to using a longer strut. If you were to use the Bilsteins (which I obviously recommend) you would be taking that 0.7" of front height away when you remove the stock strut. So if you installed the Bilsteins set at 2.8" of lift you would actually only gain 2.1" of lift compared to what your truck was with the stock Outdoorsman struts. I read several posts from a guy on a couple of different forums (name was second_life or something like that) that did this exact thing and stated that he only got 2.1" out of Bilsteins set at 2.8". I also read a few posts from people claiming to be running a 2" spacer-type kit (which would actually make it sit 2.7" higher than other Rams) on an Outdoorsman with no issues.

I would suggest you measure the difference between the front and rear of your truck and see how much front lift you are interested in trying to make. I measured from the ground to the lip of the fender when I did it. Also think about whether you want to try and get it as close to dead on as possible or whether you need a tad of front rake left for hauling, towing, etc. I still have roughly 1" of front rake in my truck but most of the time, depending on how I park, it looks near dead level to me.

In conclusion, I recommend the Bilsteins set at whatever height you decide you want and I think you will be happy and very seriously doubt you will have any issues. Good luck and sorry for the long posts....boy, I sure do like to talk, lol.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 02-27-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Starquestbd22 thank you so much for the good info. I think I will take your advice and go with the Bilstein 5100 set at 2.8 so it would leave me at 2.1 and a 1" rake for hauling. Once again I really appreciate the work that you did.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:23 PM

No problem. Glad to help. If you haven't already I would recommend that you google (google knows all, lol) for some photos of fourth gen trucks with the Bilsteins at various settings. You will probably find that most people set them at the max but some do go for the next to last setting. That way you can see the difference and decide what you like best.

Just something to keep in mind....if you go with the highest setting (2.8") on your truck you will be getting 2.1 inches of lift compared to what your truck was before just like you said. But you will be getting the full 2.8" of lift compared to any other stock non-Outdoorsman Ram. I don't know that there will be any rake left with the full 2.8" lift. The second to last setting may be better if you want a little rake left. It would only be 1.4" higher than your truck now but it would be 2.1" higher than a stock non-Outdoorsman. You will have to look at some photos and decide how high you want it.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
teucopper is on a distinguished road

I got my set on ebay. it came with all four for 300.00 The seller was topgunz customs. they shipped the shocks and rear blocks in about a week and a half.