DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
Redlongbed is on a distinguished road
Default Electric Fan Concerns

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 with the 5.9 and I just recently had a 16" electric fan installed. I am worried that the fan being that it is small, and mounted directly on the radiator, will not be able to keep my truck cool. It has thus far, but it is winter time so it's cold and I haven't towed anything or hauled anything or done any off-roading yet where the motor would be getting hot. The mechanic that put it on said he would be a little worried about that also. The guy on the Trucks episode that I think a lot of people saw used a 16" fan so I figured this would be ok but now I'm second guessing. Does anyone have any experience with a 16" electric fan and if so have there been any issues keeping the truck cool? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Color: Silver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
dustimusprime is on a distinguished road

I have been running a 16" fan made by SPAL on my 2001 5.9 4x4 since July and I have noticed that it works much better than my mechanical fan. The fan sounds like a shop vac when I turn it on and sucks a crazy amount of air (rated atover 3000 cfm according to SPAL). I installed mine in my garage and use a 40 amp fuse; as of now, the only drawback I have noticed is that with the fan running at idle my alternator cannot keep up with the current draw. Over all, it is a good investment and somewhat of a modernization to the truck.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Color: Blue and Silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:27
Brad750 is on a distinguished road

Ive got a generic 16" the previous owner bought at autozone and it works just fine even in the summer. I haven't towed with the truck yet but he claimed to have towed another ram that was a pulling truck a few times and it done fine.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Redlongbed is on a distinguished road

I have had the opportunity to do some towing, hauling, off-roading, city driving and driving in the snow. The fan has performed well and kept the truck cool through all of these conditions. My only complaint is that I got this fan for the fuel mileage gain and have yet to see any gain in fuel mileage!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
Trim Level: Base
Color: Maroon
SPAD3 is on a distinguished road

Where is the best place to pick one up? Are they easy to install?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew Cab
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
MF2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlongbed View Post
I have a 2002 Ram 1500 with the 5.9 and I just recently had a 16" electric fan installed. I am worried that the fan being that it is small, and mounted directly on the radiator, will not be able to keep my truck cool. It has thus far, but it is winter time so it's cold and I haven't towed anything or hauled anything or done any off-roading yet where the motor would be getting hot. The mechanic that put it on said he would be a little worried about that also. The guy on the Trucks episode that I think a lot of people saw used a 16" fan so I figured this would be ok but now I'm second guessing. Does anyone have any experience with a 16" electric fan and if so have there been any issues keeping the truck cool? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

What kind of fan is it? Who is it made by?

I had a Permacool 16" fan on my old 95 Ram and it was borderline in stop-n-go traffic during the summer. It was ok if I was going above 45mph during the summer. My experience is the shroud is a key piece of the puzzle to help direct the air through the radiator.

As for the mpg gain you were expecting......any gain will be neglible at best. It pretty much allows the engine to rev up a little quicker because of less draw on the engine from the bulky OEM fan. I personally never saw any noticeable gain with this on any of my vehicles. I got the best bang-for-the-buck with a good tune (cough cough....SCT....cough cough)
Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Color: Silver
dustimusprime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAD3 View Post
Where is the best place to pick one up? Are they easy to install?
JC Whitney, Summit, Autozone all carry them. Some will charge you out the a$$ for a kit that is made to fit your vehicle but those aren't worth it. 16" or a dual 14" keeping the original fan shroud will cool you down just fine. I do recommend getting a heavy duty relay; an electric fan pulls tons of amps and its better to pull the juice through the relay rather than a toggle. There are adjustable thermostats you can get, I have a fixed one that is rated to kick on at 195. Overall, instalation is easy and accomplished with tools that most shade tree mechanics have in their garage but, I spent alot of time on my install because I am an OCD freak when it comes to my truck.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge QC 4x4
Color: Pearl Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
seltzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF2000 View Post
My experience is the shroud is a key piece of the puzzle to help direct the air through the radiator.
100% correct. A fan without a shroud is just a fan. Keep in mind, there a couple different fans for different applications. There are pusher fans, and puller fans (designed to pull air through the radiator). Make sure it has some sort of shroud on it or you will be overheating!