DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:309
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

yea there are a few race shops around here i have been hounding, it hurts not having my camaro with me/running to say look here is what i do, as its gotten me a few jobs in the past lol.

The crappy thin in SoCal is there are 30 people for every job opening and most kids out here my age are total dbags so most people wont give me a second look for any sort of serious job cuz people before me have wrecked it lol.

this was more of a vent thread, but man ugh! haha

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I once got the job I wanted over all the other 'qualified' candidates (I was the only candidate without the qualifications) by making a bold offer to the business owner.
I claimed my experience would be a greater asset to him, then all the qualification papers and offered to work for 2 weeks for free. At the end of the 2 week period, if he did not believe i was the right person for the job, that I would leave graciously and it would not cost him a cent in wages. If at the end of the 2 week period he felt that I have proven my worth and wanted me to stay, then we would negotiate a mutually acceptable compensation package for my continued employment.

He accepted the offer, and at the end of the 2 week period, I was informed that I had the job if wanted to stay, and he handed me a paycheck for the 2 weeks. I informed him that the 2 week period was 'free', that I had given my word. He indicated that not only had I proven my worth, but by stating that I was prepared to 'honor my word' gave him even more reason to ensure I did get paid for the period and had already earned a raise.

Quite simply, I knew I could do the job if given the chance, but was also mentally prepared to walk away with nothing and thank him for the opportunity.

Not saying this is a sure fire way to get a job, but it's how I got the job I wanted when all the cards were stacked against me.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'd hire a skilled worker over someone with an education and no experience any day. 1 year of experience is worth 2 years of education, JMO. And having gone through and getting an education, I can confirm that I've learned much more in the field than in the classroom.

Keep at it and you'll find something. I'd put emphasis on references. A man who tells you of his own greatness is worthless. A man whose greatness is told by others is priceless.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman - Rambox
Color: Black Crystal - Gray
Rep:83
wvcoolvinilla will become famous soon enough

I was out in your neck of the woods for a conference lasyt year and was not impressed with the SoCal I saw. I was stationed at George AFB west of LA after I got back from SEA in 1979. I could not believe how much things have changed. Keep up the faith and things will come your way.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
A man who tells you of his own greatness is worthless. A man whose greatness is told by others is priceless.
Well said Sean.
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
A man who tells you of his own greatness is worthless. A man whose greatness is told by others is priceless..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbass View Post
Well said Sean.
.....X2!

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 03-02-2012, 08:44 PM

Vehicle: 2006 raqm 1500 trx4 hemi
Trim Level: trx4
Color: blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:20
09nitetrain is on a distinguished road

i live in the welfare capital of the world. meriden ct, and i'm 27 been working in a garage since i was 16 turning wrenches part time. its the owner and i that are left and its pretty scary. the shop went from doing 1500 to 2000 a day five days a week to like 300/500 a day now for the last few weeks. we see hundrends of cars a day drive by, we hear exhaust systems falling off, breaks squeeking. belts squeeking. stuff leaking out from under the hood as they sit at the stop light. then on tv there saying the economey is doing and a 2 man shop in a town 35000 people has 1 bay with a car in it and the other 3 empty. all my friends moved out of state for jobs and im left and im about to do the samething
Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Farm living gives you experience the contractors need,
i was hired by CalTrans in 1970 & stayed with them until 2003
all i had was dairy farm experience & i had worked for a guy that built houses for a summer

Try putting in a application at CalTrans, they may or may not be hiring, but their list is usually a year long & then starts all over. I think the year always ends in June, but i may be wrong
There are 2 depts to apply to, Highway worker & Equipment shop

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/jobs/civil.htm
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 03-03-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001 dodge ram
Trim Level: Single cab short bed
Color: Vader Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:48
Dodge891 is on a distinguished road

I was talking to My boss at Home Depot and they are hiring 10,000 people nation wide, thats how i got my job their 2 months ago. I dont know much bout californias hire rate, but I would try there