DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 V8 4x4
Rep:10
RedRam99 is on a distinguished road
Default Gas Mileage :(

Hey guys, im looking for some advice to help me get some better gas mileage out of my 5.2. I was getting only 9 or 10 mpg, then i cut my muffler out and patched in pipe, its a full tailpipe, cat and o2 sensors are still there, now im getting 12mpg. Maybe once a month my check engine light comes on, i had it scanned and it said an o2 sensor was bad, im kinda thrown off by it only coming on once a month, but i guess i should replace it anyways. I have a vaccum leak, i dont know if that would cause it too or not. Any advice as far as a cold air intake or anything that would help? thanks guys!
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Fresh 02 sensors, from a dodge garage, not an aftermarket seller, 200 degree thermostat, narrow non agressive tread tires, clean air filter, 5w30 motor oil, airgate, ventshades, as well as anything else to make the front and sides of your vehicle not resemble a brick wall rolling down the road, and don't carry a ton of junk in your 'trunk', as any extra weight has a fuel cost associated with it. what your driving habits are, also means a lot...
Old 03-08-2012, 08:53 AM

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Fix o2 do tb mod just do a k\n drop in filter keep rpms arround 2000. No jack rabbit starts or stops keep fuel injectors clean. Now I know some of that can be tough. Especaly being its a4x4 and probebly an auto. Mine will average high 16 to mid 17 but its not a 4x4 nor auto
Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 AM

Now mine also is un modified that is soon to change my goal is the 20 mark. I think I can do it hell I averaged 26 mpg with a 91 s10 4 bngr that was auto\ had 265,ooo miles on it.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Vehicle: 2007 1500 Mega Cab 4X4 3.73
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:185
namretsud has a spectacular aura aboutnamretsud has a spectacular aura about

High flow cat and new o2 sensos will help. My 5.2 was about 12 and by installing a cai, magnaflow cat to dual exhaust I have got it in the 17 range. One of the biggest problems I have heard of is the Mopar death flash on the ecu. I have a friend that has a 99 and he does all his own work and has never had the death flash done and runs midgrade gas who gets 23-26 on the highway. The death flash was done to aleaviate the detonation on the engine with 87 gas but can be avoided with mid to high grade gas. If one was able to replace the ecu with a non flashed ecu and run mid grade fuel we would all be better off.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namretsud View Post
High flow cat and new o2 sensos will help. My 5.2 was about 12 and by installing a cai, magnaflow cat to dual exhaust I have got it in the 17 range. One of the biggest problems I have heard of is the Mopar death flash on the ecu. I have a friend that has a 99 and he does all his own work and has never had the death flash done and runs midgrade gas who gets 23-26 on the highway. The death flash was done to aleaviate the detonation on the engine with 87 gas but can be avoided with mid to high grade gas. If one was able to replace the ecu with a non flashed ecu and run mid grade fuel we would all be better off.
What is death flash? A programer is on the list for mine. Along with cat and exhaust, tb mod spacer and drop in filter. But with a programer will I have to worry about death flash? I don't need to run higher fuel or street race it. Just more pull when needed and better milage.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:05 PM

Vehicle: 2007 1500 Mega Cab 4X4 3.73
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:185
namretsud has a spectacular aura aboutnamretsud has a spectacular aura about

The death flash was something Ma started doing after these trucks had been out a short while. The original flash had detonation problems on 87 gas that was causing premature engine failures. What it does is retard the timing and change the fuel imput to take away the problem. It was more of a quick coverup rather than fix the real problem and in doing so it affected true hp, torque and gas mileage all of which went down.From my understanding of the tuners they work their magic from the base flash and improve from there, and with the deathflash already in place that is what it works from. If one had the original flash you would see even more performance than what the tuner already give you. I currently have the Superchips tuner on mine and did notice a difference and I am only running the 87 tune. I hate the thought of filling up with premium fuel so I don't run that tune but have tried it and saw even more than the 87 but they say that if you run the perfomance tune without premium fuel that you can damage the internals.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Good to know for now my mods will be external till it dies