DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Well I decided to stop my order for the moment....not sure what to do.

The guy says the dampeners (old style vs new) are identical except the hub diameter is 0.005" smaller on the new one. He thinks it will still seal to the front main oil seal. I don't really know what else would matter, it's not like they calculate a certain amount of weight for the balancer to go with a specific engine, right? It's just a hunk of weight....or am I wrong? I didn't think it was "designed" that in depth. I thought it was just "throw a hunk of weigh on that crankshaft...." type thing.

Obviously it has to be designed to fit properly and all that, but it looks like it does (as long as the oil seal still seals). But from a weight/balancer standpoint....I don't see how it could be an issue. I don't know much about this topic though...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:24 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:29
chambers is on a distinguished road

Well the early designs, I think on the hemi caused engine failures, the 4.7 was missing the keyway originally too which is also bad. I'm not sure if any failures resulted on the 4.7 one's. If the damper was applicable to the newer 4.7's I would think that they would have already been marketing them for some time now. Another company that makes them is ATI, they make higher quality one's, better balanced for higher rpm. Maybe shoot them an email or call since they also make one for the early 4.7's.

Take a picture of your crank pulley, I'll take a look at mine (the oem one) and see if they're the same or as close as ASP claims.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Ok I'll snap a picture maybe this weekend.

I decided to hold out and save another $175 for the ATI one. I'll get it sometime in the future. From what I can tell (not positive) the ASP one is a "dead weight" and the ATI one is a real balancer with a rubber insert, inertia ring, etc. So it will definitely do the job. I'm not chancing it on the ASP which appears to be a solid chunk of aluminum.

Maybe in a couple months I'll get the ATI.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 AM

I was finally able to get a hold of Nick at airram. I'm going to definitely hold out and try the ATI dampener instead of the ASP pulley. Probably (hopefully) in about a month or so (it is more $$$).

Nick offered me the same deal; I'll buy it and try it out, if it doesn't seal/fit then he will accept a return.