DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough
Default Grumble grumble dash speaker rant/question

Has anyone found dash speakers that wont freaking blow up?

Im on my 3rd set. First was Kicker KS35s, were great on a stock h/u switch to a Pioneer, poof crackle rattle nasty sound ugh okay whatever they were like $25 anyway

Replace those with a set of JL Audio C2s survived the pioner. Were great at high volume levels(nothing stupid, windows down freeway listening volumes). Take Pioneer out put stock back in same deal. TAke stock out put in Kenwood they make it 2 weeks, tops... just off the headunit amp.

I found a deal on a local pair of Polks For $15 which is what i have know, but its like im just waiting to start to hear the crackling/grindling horrible sounds from them...

Does RF make 3.5 speakers? I have them in all four doors and love them and they are handling over RMS and tons of abuse with no problem... it sjust the pesky 3.5s and I need that front stage with the ammount of bass I have... shoot me please?

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star w/ 26L pkg
Color: Brilliant White Clearcoat
Rep:65
MoparMike10 will become famous soon enough

My buddy had the same problem is his Ram, any amplification would blow them out and he resorted to using bass blockers from some tweeters which kept them from sounding awful, but now you just can't hear them. He was using Boston 3.5" which were only rated at 35w, and that could be part of the problem. The 3.5" speakers that fit don't take any power, he is considering enlarging the dash holes and running a 4" which will provide more choices for higher power. You could run a tweeter, or super tweeter, in that spot with a mounting ring, but it is not the ideal spot for a tweeter with the reflections from the windshield and all.

ETA: An EQ or signal processor would help, allowing you to tune those speakers at a lower gain and correct the time alignment. Running them at a higher crossover cut off will keep the lower notes from making them sound muddled too.

Audio - Pioneer AVH-P4400BH - PPI Phantom 900.4 and 1000.1 - Boston Pro 60s - Hybrid Audio Legatia L3s - 2x Image Dynamic IDQ10s
Mods - GroundForce 2/3 lowering kit - 24" Color-matched Wheels - K&N Intake - Katzkin Leather Interior

Last edited by MoparMike10; 03-08-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:167
rtkman has a spectacular aura aboutrtkman has a spectacular aura about

I haven't had any issues with my Pioneers.. Mine aren't amped. I just amped the doors.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:03 AM

SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

IVe been thinking about going super tweeter there, it seems like it would be the easiest thing.

I also kinda wanna just build a pillar pods and run like a 5.5/tweet combo and take the dash ones out but I dont have the skill for that and none of the audio shops around me i trust enough to try it

1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Grey
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 850lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep:51
Ghostknife will become famous soon enough

Once again, you shouldnt have left Michigan, I could have recommended a place to go. Oh well . id try the rockfords but i would also get a crossover too. it will definately help
Old 03-09-2012, 06:44 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star w/ 26L pkg
Color: Brilliant White Clearcoat
Rep:65
MoparMike10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
IVe been thinking about going super tweeter there, it seems like it would be the easiest thing.

I also kinda wanna just build a pillar pods and run like a 5.5/tweet combo and take the dash ones out but I dont have the skill for that and none of the audio shops around me i trust enough to try it
I want to build pods into my pillars too, probably with a 4" component set. I have never built pods before but they seem doable, might look into buying some spare pillar panels just so I don't mess up the stock ones while I am "learning".

Audio - Pioneer AVH-P4400BH - PPI Phantom 900.4 and 1000.1 - Boston Pro 60s - Hybrid Audio Legatia L3s - 2x Image Dynamic IDQ10s
Mods - GroundForce 2/3 lowering kit - 24" Color-matched Wheels - K&N Intake - Katzkin Leather Interior
Old 03-09-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostknife View Post
Once again, you shouldnt have left Michigan, I could have recommended a place to go. Oh well . id try the rockfords but i would also get a crossover too. it will definately help
You needed to tell me this before I left not when I'm 2300 miles away!!!! Lol

Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMike10 View Post
I want to build pods into my pillars too, probably with a 4" component set. I have never built pods before but they seem doable, might look into buying some spare pillar panels just so I don't mess up the stock ones while I am "learning".
I've thought about that too. Trimming the a pillar and inside of the handle and using the outer rim for shape to fiberglass around

Old 03-10-2012, 03:15 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road

Run aftermarket wires to dash and then run off of head unit. That is only thing running off my head unit and I haven't had a problem with them running at full tilt quite often with about two years now. Polk DB speakers. When I was running of factory headunit I put a 6ohm resistor on them to keep them from overpowering everything else. Now with them hooked straight to deck and everything else amped it sounds killer.

If you have amps in the truck built in factory then you are likely blowing them because the factory ones you removed are 8 ohm and you are installing 4 ohm speakers( I assume) with is doubling the amp output and frying the speakers. But this is all stipulation without knowing exactly what audio setup you had in the truck prior to your installing aftermarket head unit.
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 AM

I have the base plane jane system with no amps. Right now my doors are all running off of RCAs to their own amps and the dash is the only thing running off the h/u.

Im seriously debating doing the Apillar thing. My speaker pods in the doors cant keep up with my DCs AT ALL and I think an A pillar setup would def help out a lot..

Im a little short on $$ right nowfor more audio crap, but ill keep everyone posted when i finally figure everything out