DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice
Default What is required for a gear swap?

Hi all. I have read and know about ratios and limited slip and the like but I have been wondering (and am clueless) about what is involved in a total gear swap, specifically on a third gen truck. I have considered it on my 06 4.7 to try to compensate for the lack of power but I would also like to know for future reference in case I end up trading for a hemi and decide to regear it. So here are my questions...

What parts would be required to go from the stock gearing to a 4.10 or 4.56? Just a ring and pinion gearset? Would it be better or is it even an option to go with a more complete unit like the Detroit Truetrac or something similar? I would have to swap both the front and rear gears right?

Also, as for my current 06 4.7....it already has the 3.92 LSD from the factory so if I were to consider swapping it I would go with the 4.56. I don't think the 4.10 would be enough difference. Any opinions on how much difference the 4.56 would make over the stock 3.92?

Thanks and I apologize if I asked something totally ridiculous, lol.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Going from 3.92 to 4.10 is a minor change that would hardly be felt and probably not worth the cost (especially with 4x4). Yes you have to match the front and rear ratios.

I've never done it but I believe what is need is the following: Ring and pinion gears, gasket kit, wheel bearings(maybe), fluid, and if you want LSD then an LSD unit(whether it be oem or aftermarket). I think they have "master install kits" that include all the gaskets, bearings, and other misc stuff. So you'd just need the master install kit, gears, and fluid, and LSD if wanted.

It's supposed to be a fairly easy job just sort of intimidating. I've been thinking of doing it myself on my truck to try to learn something new...but am told I'd need a press for something so I don't know...lol

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 02 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
THK is on a distinguished road

If you do the change and you have a posi (OEM), dump the carrier for a good aftermarket unit. I don't trust the factory c clips.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:08 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

So other than the shims and other small pieces, the major components I would need are the ring and pinion gear set for the front and rear and a new LSD unit (if the truck wasn't factory LSD or if I wanted to replace mine)? I have read about the factory LSD c-clip issues but if you wanted to keep the stock LSD you would only need the new gear sets?
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC 4WD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
The Big Horn is on a distinguished road

If you have never done a gear swap before, you are in for a huge headache. I did the gears on my JK, took us about 24 hours of labor to get it right. The easy part is swapping the ring and pinions. Where it gets tricky is figuring out the proper pinion depth, pinion preload, carrier shims, ring and pinion pattern (they do not just lign up like "gears" do), you need an in-lb tq wrench, ft-lb torque wrench and typically something god awful torque producer to crush the crush sleeve that goes in the pinion for the rear diff, and same for front if you have a solid axle front (2500 and up). Also their is a special tool to get the measurement of backlash your gears have and needs to be dialed in. After doing it once, I will gladly pay someone to do it for me next time. Just a cautionary word.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Yukon Gear is one of this RamforumZ site Sponsors & a very good manufacturer
you should check out the sponsor list
Sometimes they give us a discount

I watched a bunch of shadetree mechanics tackle a Jeep rear end, none of them had any kind of torque wrenches or gauges. The following week the rear end grenaded again.
The shims were not replaced properly.
There should always be someone there that has done it before, even if they are retired from the business & just watch you do it
When you pay for a mechanic, you get their knowledge, labor & tools, sometimes it is worth the price
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Master Differential install kits include
Kits include Ring Gear Bolts, Shims, Crush Sleeve or Spacer, Pinion Seal, Pinion Nut, Gasket or RTV Silicone and Timken Tappered Roller Bearings were applicable.

Then you still have the ring & pinion gears

I am not trying to dissuade you, just giving you information
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-11-2012, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

It should provide a noticeable difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
Any opinions on how much difference the 4.56 would make over the stock 3.92?

Thanks and I apologize if I asked something totally ridiculous, lol.