DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 ram 1500 4x4
Color: primer gray atm
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
wulfgar is on a distinguished road
Default Spongy brake pedal fixed

Well about a week ago I changed the front brake pads. Since I changed them my pedal would go from spongy to almost right. I bleed the brakes twice. They still didn't feel right for new pads. Well this morning I checked my fluids and I added a little brake fluid and topped it off. The brakes felt great after I dropped my daughter off at preschool. I went to pull it to the gas station and my truck wasn't stopping very good then all the sudden the pedal went all the way to the floor and I had no brakes. Glad I was in town doing 30. Parked it and I started checking out my brakes. I found that I had blown out my rear steel line. It had rotted through at the clip on the frame. About a foot of it had almost completely rusted away. I patched the line with a new 12" section. Have to wait for the parts store to order my new line. Took me about and hour or more of bleeding out the air and the old murky brown fluid. The brakes feel a lot better now. Still doesn't feel as stiff pedaled as I think it should be but 100% better than before the pad change. One question about ABS. After the line blew I seen the yellow ABS light and red brake light. I noticed that in the fuse box under the hood I am missing the two ABS relays did the 94 1500 4x4 have ABS? I took a few pics that I'll post in a few. Love this forum. Thanks everyone
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

You will need to open a bleeder on a front caliper and really dynamite the brake pedal, to get the fuse recentered. close the bleeder before letting up on the pedal... this oughtta work. your next line to blow will be behind the gas tank, just shove a new one behind the tank, the old one won't hurt anything, then the drivers front, then the long one to the passenger front... thats the order both of my trucks brake lines rotted...
Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Right on at least there only about 8$ per. All my other lines looked rust free. Felt up the rubber ones and didn't feel any soft spots. But I'm sure something else will come up. Oh wait something did my wheel u- joints. Didn't even think about it when I replaced the driver side wheel hub. The worst part of that was the dang spindle nut. Took me 2 hours with a 1/2 impact and two bottles of propane and two snapped 1/2 breaker bars. Thank god my neighbor is a full service shop that I can use for free.