DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 2X4 V8
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Rep:10
FLKeysRam2004 is on a distinguished road
Default Idle/Run Issues + Oil Leakage

Hello all. I'm hoping that I am in the right sub-forum for this! I purchased a '96 Ram 1500 Sport 2x4 about 6 months ago and just now am starting to have problems with it. I went on vacation for about a week and it sat, but when I got back last Friday I used it for work to and from no problem which is about 30 miles each way. It sat all this past weekend without being started as well. When I went to start it this morning the lights came on, the buzzer sounded, (which is annoying!) and it started just fine at first. As soon as it was running it idled super low at around 200-300 rpms. I gave it some gas and it revved up no problem but almost completely stalled when the rpms went down. Needless to say I didn't take it to work, and tried when I got home. The same thing happened when I got home.

A few friends at work told me it's a possible fuel filter issue which is fine because that is relatively easy to get to (even though I've never changed one before). I'm under the assumption that I have 2 filters, one of which is inside the gas tank. I hear that's a pretty pricey fix. I have access to a hydraulic lift, and was wondering if there were any easy steps to get this issue fixed. If it doesn't sound like the fluid filter then PLEASE let me know I would appreciate it!

One more issue that I can think of right now, when I crawled under the truck after work to find the external fuel filter, I noticed a good bit of oil that had leaked from what looked to be a crankcase. It didn't seem to be the oil tank because it was back a-ways from where the oil drain plug is. It has leaked oil all over the frame, and some on my landlords driveway (OH NO!)

If it sounds like from this post that I'm a noobie when it comes to vehicles I am. I'm a engineer in the Navy but have never actually worked on vehicles other than oil changes, brakes, and tires. Any and all help with these issues I would be grateful! I apologize for the length of this post I was just trying to be very descriptive. I have added the only picture I have currently of my truck and if needed I can take more tomorrow to show what it looks like. Thanks again!!!

Perry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0373.jpg (79.5 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2007 1500 Mega Cab 4X4 3.73
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:187
namretsud has a spectacular aura aboutnamretsud has a spectacular aura about

Only 1 filter on Dodge vehicle and it is actually like a metal screen sock on the pickup. I would try running some seafoam in the gas tank and do a computer reset. This is best done by disconnecting the negative on your battery and then go inside the truck and turn the key to the start position and then off 3 times. Reconnect your battery and go for a drive. You may have to go for a couple of cold to warm drives for the reset to complete but it will help. You can pick up seafoam at most auto parts stores.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 2X4 V8
Color: Red
Rep:10
FLKeysRam2004 is on a distinguished road

Thanks namretsud. The seafoam seemed to work really well. The truck started rough at first but ran fine after that. I didn't get a chance to do a comp. reset so hopefully I wont need to. However I still have an oil leak somewhere that looks like it's coming from the crankcase. I'm gonna put it on the lift today and hopefully find out where it's coming from! Thanks again!

Perry
Old 03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2007 1500 Mega Cab 4X4 3.73
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:187
namretsud has a spectacular aura aboutnamretsud has a spectacular aura about

I would still go ahead and do the reset. My sons Dakota would not pass an e-test and did the reset and nothing further and took it back and it passed with flying colors. A reset will give the engine a chance to start back from square 1 and go from there.