DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-15-2012, 03:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Hemi Crew
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearlcoat
Rep:10
MoparDude is on a distinguished road

Holy crap we're going sideways here! Next thing you know we'll be posting pic's of the Furd! Yikes! I'm about one post away from never coming back here!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:29 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparDude View Post
Holy crap we're going sideways here! Next thing you know we'll be posting pic's of the Furd! Yikes! I'm about one post away from never coming back here!
I wouldn't want you to leave so I guess I better not post them then. And I certainly wouldn't want anyone dissing my sons freind or truck because of me.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

LOL I don't like the F150 body style in general, but I saw a quad cab (maybe they call it crew...?) blue and black F150 yesterday, looked like a "sport" model all color matched, with the ecoboost emblem on the fender, I thought it was a good looking truck.

No where near as good as the ram sports though...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
wvmtb is on a distinguished road

Dang, this is a long thread...Guess I will put my $0.02 in.
When I was truck shopping. I test drove them all and compared the specs. I was upgrading from a Tacoma (daily driver) and an older F150 (used to pull my travel trailer) so pulling power was a big factor. After looking at specs & prices for me it came down to the F150 or the Ram 1500. I kept flipping back and forth. I couldn't decide so I went with the next important thing. Which looks better? So yep, I ended up with the Ram 1500 Sport. I liked it better inside and out. Don't know how that eco would have pulled my camper but I know I get a smile on my face when I'm cruising up these West Virginia mountains with out worry in my Ram. I know it's not a fair comparison, but it would out pull that old f150 5.4 Triton any day. But in all fairness I'm sure the Eco would have done the job also. But IMO I wouldn't look or sound as good doing it with a V6.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: big horn 4x4
Color: black
Rep:14
bighorns is on a distinguished road

well I just purchased my 2012 bighorn quad cab....was looking at an ecoboost. To get something similarly equiped with a center console shifter (absolutely hate column shift) I had to spend minimum of 8k more for the Ford. How long would it take me to save 8k in gas???????? Ford can keep there truck......
Old 03-15-2012, 10:13 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
well I just purchased my 2012 bighorn quad cab....was looking at an ecoboost. To get something similarly equiped with a center console shifter (absolutely hate column shift) I had to spend minimum of 8k more for the Ford. How long would it take me to save 8k in gas???????? Ford can keep there truck......
He he....thats a good one, lol!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:01 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Hemi Crew
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearlcoat
MoparDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
I wouldn't want you to leave so I guess I better not post them then. And I certainly wouldn't want anyone dissing my sons freind or truck because of me.
Hahaha... It's all in good fun... but don't get any funny ideas... lol
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 F150
alacey is on a distinguished road

Well, it's been almost two years and told you guys I will update you on the Eco like I told you I would way back in this thread as most siad this engine will probably blow by then. I have over 50K on the truck now with only one issue in the engine bay that would put the truck in limp mode and shudder about 15K miles ago. It ended up being a bad coil and I have not had a problems since.

I have met a lot of people that think this engine will explode soon because they think it is high strung and runs in the high rpm all the time because it is a V6 or because the turbo's make the engine run hot all the time. Neither could be further from the truth about the engine and if you actually drove or towed with one, high strung would not even be a thought. With normal driving and towing this truck lives below 3K rpm. Unloaded with normal driving, I barely get to 2.5K rpm unless I purposely go WOT. So no, it does not stay in the high rpm all the time if at all even with 3.55 gears and aggressive 33"(+1 from stock) Duratracs. As far as the heat myth, it is no different that any other truck. I have the android Torque app to monitor my temps when driving and it stays between 190F and 200F unloaded. The highest I have seen it was at 213F towing 8k lbs up a grade 5 hill in 5th gear at 2200 rpm this past summer. It only stayed there for a short while until the thermostats kicked in and it went back down to 192F. Even my catalytic converter temps have never gone above 1600F while towing.

I also added a custom tune to the truck from 5 Star Tuning adding around 60+RWHP and over 115+RWTQ. His tunes are awesome giving me the performance and shifting I want while still being safely to tow the max weight the truck can tow without having to switch to a tow tune. Hell, I just like it for the adjustment of the DBW system and quick torque converter lock up alone. Better shifting and throttle response while adding gobs of power for only $400, I'll take it. The stock Ford tune is overly conservative to keep the engine too safe as most of the tuners like SCT and Superchips have been saying. Which is why even their canned tunes are adding over 50+RWHP and 100+RWTQ. I guess that is why the racing guys on the Ford forums are able to get into the low to mid 13's in a 4wd 4-door in the 1/4 mile with just a tune.

That being said, there is still something I miss about my old Hemi every now and then, the exhaust note. I will admit that this thing is very quiet and is rather welcomed most of the time, but there are those few times that I just want to let her rip and hear something other than jut the tires squealing and turbo whistle. Although I have grown quite addicted to the turbo whistle after my Airraid intake install.

I will give you another update later down the road as promised so those that told me my engine will blow up still have something to look forward to if it does. I hope ya'll are loving ya'll's trucks just I am loving mine so cheers fella's and keep being truck/car fanatics like me.

Last edited by alacey; 11-30-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Black Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
walc is on a distinguished road

alacey,
Thanks for the update.
Glad to hear your F-150 Ecoboost is doing well.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

Alacey, good to hear the Ecoboost is doing well. Its a great truck and engine. I can't stand completely blind fan boys who down a product, but have no experience with it. 80% of the posts in here are along those lines.

The only thing I can say that the Ram has over the Ecoboost is the exhaust note. A turbo V6 will never sound as good as a V8, but that's just how it goes...