DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram 1500 ST 2WD
Trim Level: ST
Color: red
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
mattgindy500 is on a distinguished road
Question 07 st 2wd new struts?

hello everyone this is my first post on this site. i have a 07 st 2wd v6 that i have had since new. ever since i've had the truck it has rode as my one friend said like a hay wagon. It has always since new been a stiff riding truck. this is not my frist truck and i know they should not be this harsh as my dads 96 chevy 1500 rides way better than my 07, anyways i'm 99% sure the front struts are bad. when i go over bumps in the road at 55mph the front end feels like it bounces up and down. also when i dont have the radio on i can hear alot of squeeking going on at fast or slow speeds, would this be the strut mounts are also bad? or some kind of front end bushing? also my next question is if the struts are bad is there any company that makes a better riding strut that is a direct bolt in? Also do the springs and strut mounts for the strut need to be replaced at this time as well??? I rember when I frist had the tuck I could slide under the front end to do oil changes without jacking the front up, now i have to because the front bumper is to low. The truck now has 78,000miles on it if that matters. also i have had to have the left tie rod end replaced twice becuase it wore out and the right side done once as well. If anyone has input on a better riding strut over stock I would love to hear it as my wife and friends hate riding in my hay wagon.
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Blueline41 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like bad struts, and if you're wearing on the tie rod, your mounts could be crap as well. I'd say go with the Rancho 9000X or the Bilstein F4-BE5-6927-H0. I had the Bilsteins on my '03, and it really improved the ride noticeably. I mean, the 3rd gen Rams are NOTORIOUS for a crusty suspension, and there's not a whole lot you can really do, to be honest. It's never going to ride like the 09+ Rams, but you can make some improvement with a good set of struts.

If you can swing the cost, go with the Bilsteins (IMHO). The Ranchos are pretty popular from what I understand, and seem to be well-liked as well. I'd definitely see about getting those mounts done too. Your springs should be okay at 78k, I wouldn't think those would be bad, but take a look while you're under there and see if you show any unusual wear or anything to be sure.

That's my .02
Old 03-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

thanks for the help i was thinking everything you said. as far as these after market struts Rancho 9000X and Bilsteins are these something a local repair shop would order or a dodge dealer would order. or is this something so aftermarket i would have to buy them and take them to a shop and have them replace them. also with these two struts do they have there own strut mount or would a new one from dodge work for these? thank you.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Blueline41 is on a distinguished road

As far as I know, the OEM mounts should be fine. I would check with a local shop to see what they can do for you price-wise, but your best bet might be to order them online and take them to the shop to have them put on (if you're not installing yourself).

I've been doing reading on struts, and I think I'm gonna go with the Bilsteins, so if I find a ridiculously good price I'll let you know. But my first step would be call the local shop and get them to quote you a price for your struts. That way you can compare side-by-side with any website you might find them on.

Good luck!!!

And like I said - if I find a fantastic price on them, I'll let ya know!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

besides replacing the front shocks what other parts an pices in the front end should or would need replacing to make the front end stop sqweaking and make the front end feel tight and not like its going to fall off. also if anyone could guess what it would cost to replace the front shocks on my truck if i had a repair shop do it minus the cost of the shocks as i'm not sure what brand i would go with yet. thanks.