DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
Lol! Dude I was sincere! I went back and re-read through the thread and agreed that you also posted very useful info. Which I learned something from
Don't be an Emo!
You actually took a rep point away from me, I had 44, I got 43 now... But don't worry about it, we're even. I'm not a emo, I'm a very serious person.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:33 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
Helpful Info trust me!!!

But I have a automatic transmission, those suggestions still apply??

Also, with all this great info, you think these ideas will actually solve the high rpm over heat???

I can cruise all day long, but if I punch it and hit 85+ the gauge will creep over past normal and keep climbing until I slow down, I'm guessing! I'm to scared to see if it would actually over heat as this is my everyday driver and some what of a family vehicle!

Replaced my radiator last weekend...Went with (KOYO) and also flushed the system for 10 minutes
The fan clutch was replaced two weeks ago...went with some Oreilys brand. Was told the belt looks fine...
The T-stat was replaced a year ago, fail safe or not, obviously it's some flow if it cools down after low rpm!
Water pump was replaced a year ago as well by a mechanic.

My next step is the T-stat and water pump because I didn't do it, so maybe it's screw in some way...Idk!!

All I know is that, it doesn't over heat at a stand still, or cruising at normal rpm...only high rpm!!!
The first thing that came to mind about your overheating issue above 85MPH would be the transmission fluid is causing the engine coolant to heat back up, this only applies if you have a transmission cooler in the engine radiator. My engine overheated one time because the transmission fluid got to hot, whenever I see anyone install an external transmission cooler I always tell them other then to make sure the fluid travels against gravity but also to install the cooler on the pressure line, this is so it can cool the fluid down before it enters the stock cooler in the engine radiator. Many race teams have their setups like this, but it's also a good configuration because it allows me to remove the anti-drain back valve without the worry of drain back

The next thing that comes to mind is the water pump is no good, I read somewhere that many of the new chryslers no longer use steel blades in the water pump but use some kind of plastic.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: Dodge ram 2002
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Gearhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
The first thing that came to mind about your overheating issue above 85MPH would be the transmission fluid is causing the engine coolant to heat back up, this only applies if you have a transmission cooler in the engine radiator. My engine overheated one time because the transmission fluid got to hot, whenever I see anyone install an external transmission cooler I always tell them other then to make sure the fluid travels against gravity but also to install the cooler on the pressure line, this is so it can cool the fluid down before it enters the stock cooler in the engine radiator. Many race teams have their setups like this, but it's also a good configuration because it allows me to remove the anti-drain back valve without the worry of drain back

The next thing that comes to mind is the water pump is no good, I read somewhere that many of the new chryslers no longer use steel blades in the water pump but use some kind of plastic.
Oh okay, I never seen a transmission cooler, what does it look like? I know their are two condenser looking things that are mounted in front of the radiator, and one of them have two hoses coming from the transmission. Would that be it? if so, what could I do to eliminate this issue?

The water pump is fairly new, but it could be going out do to all the components not working properly allowing over heating issues!! That is actually a NAPA part, I heard NAPA auto parts are the best....

And also to clarify, the water pump does have plastic blades, Chrysler doesn't make them with steel, so you are correct my friend...

Last edited by Gearhead; 03-21-2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Forgot to add..
Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Oh okay, I never seen a transmission cooler, what does it look like? I know their are two condenser looking things that are mounted in front of the radiator, and one of them have two hoses coming from the transmission. Would that be it? if so, what could I do to eliminate this issue?

The water pump is fairly new, but it could be going out do to all the components not working properly allowing over heating issues!! That is actually a NAPA part, I heard NAPA auto parts are the best....

And also to clarify, the water pump does have plastic blades, Chrysler doesn't make them with steel, so you are correct my friend...
I honestly don't know if you have an external cooler, your best bet is to get under the truck and trace the cooler lines from the transmission.
As for the water pump, Napa sell great parts but statistically when you produce a number of products you're going to run into a couple bad ones not that yours is but...
Old 03-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: Dodge ram 2002
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Gearhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
I honestly don't know if you have an external cooler, your best bet is to get under the truck and trace the cooler lines from the transmission.
As for the water pump, Napa sell great parts but statistically when you produce a number of products you're going to run into a couple bad ones not that yours is but...

Absolutely! I don't doubt that at all, the only thing I can do is take if off and inspect it!

Now for the transmission cooler, there is two hoses coming from the trans, up to the front of the radiator, going into a black mesh looking condenser thing. It's two individual pieces mounted to the radiator....

Could I clean it, to dislodge anything that could be clogged? Or am I gonna have to purchase a new one? those things are 150 bucks, and up! Maybe I can get one from the junkyard....
Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Now for the transmission cooler, there is two hoses coming from the trans, up to the front of the radiator, going into a black mesh looking condenser thing. It's two individual pieces mounted to the radiator....
Sounds like you have an external transmission cooler (separate from the radiator). You could use light water pressure to clean it off, don't "scrub" it or anything, you don't want to damage it. Since it's a separate cooler, this is almost certainly not causing a hot engine.

You also most likely have a power steering pump cooler in the same area in front of the radiator, I bet if you trace the lines from the power steering pump they go to another external cooler.

Sounds like you have a good thermostat (stock is 195 deg F by the way). If you used an oem replacement from autozone that should be fine. A 180 thermostat is a good idea, but is not the fix for your problem, something else is going on.

Sounds to me like you have a newish, clean, and not clogged radiator.

Also sounds like you have a new water pump, which is almost certainly not defective (although possible that it could be...).

Your heater core sounds like it may be clogged. This won't affect engine overheating though.

If your radiator hoses are not clogged, and the engine does not have a clog in it, then you must have air in the cooling system.

Also sound like your clutch fan is good.

Did you purge the air out after refilling the coolant? Air in the system will definitely cause sporadic heat spikes. You need to park the truck so that the radiator is the highest point(put it on a slight incline, or jack the front up a few inches). Then remove the radiator cap, start the engine, turn the heater on, select the floor vent setting, put the fan on high, and make sure the heat is set to HOT. Then monitor engine temperature let it get as hot as it will get (to operating temperature). While it's running you can "hit" the radiator hoses or squeeze them to try to dislodge any trapped air. At some point the thermostat will open (at about 195 deg F) and water in the radiator should go down and enter the engine. You can then refill the radiator to full, then fill the expansion tank to full, replace radiator cap and then after a few heat cycles of running the truck you may need to add a little more coolant again.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Absolutely! I don't doubt that at all, the only thing I can do is take if off and inspect it!

Could I clean it, to dislodge anything that could be clogged? Or am I gonna have to purchase a new one? those things are 150 bucks, and up! Maybe I can get one from the junkyard....
Sounds like you do have an external cooler, it's possible their is air in the cooling system. That or the block is clogged but I don't think it would be, it's rare and it takes alot of time and neglect to let the cooling system get to that point.

Try taking the radiator cap off and turn the vehicle on with the heater on max and squeeze the top radiator hose and then add some coolant and let the engine reach temp. This usually does the trick when you have to purge air. Alot of time their isn't enough coolant surrounding the thermostat for it to open.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:58 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The only thing that's throwing me off is that usually if there's air in the system, it gets hot when sitting and cools when moving. He's saying it's fine when sitting and gets hot when giving it gas. Seems odd...?

Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
The only thing that's throwing me off is that usually if there's air in the system, it gets hot when sitting and cools when moving. He's saying it's fine when sitting and gets hot when giving it gas. Seems odd...?
Well all of use together kind of knocked alot of suspects off the list.
It could be possible that either the radiator is restricted of air or internally, or not likely but he might have to much alcohol and not enough water. The next thing could be that the drivebelt is router wrong causing the water pump to pump backwards...
Old 03-21-2012, 05:12 PM

Yeah but if that was the case other things (PS pump, AC compressor, alternator) would spin backwards probably. Unlikely like you said.

Gotta be either air or a clog I'd think.