DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion

Notices

Drag Racing Discussion Post your questions and info about how to best get these beasts down the 1320!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Also, IIRC, Transengineer told me that the new transmission (I thought it was called the 66rfe, not 65rfe...?) shifts identical to the 545rfe, it does not use all 6 speeds in normal upshifting. It was simply renamed he thinks for marketing purposes as a "6 speed".

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:24 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:514
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Also, IIRC, Transengineer told me that the new transmission (I thought it was called the 66rfe, not 65rfe...?) shifts identical to the 545rfe, it does not use all 6 speeds in normal upshifting. It was simply renamed he thinks for marketing purposes as a "6 speed".
The 66RFE is the new trans in the HD trucks

http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.p...ces-explained/

Quote:
  • Supporters III
  • 1,743 posts
Posted August 11, 2011 at 07:37 pm
The 66RFE is a new six-speed automatic transmission. It’s used behind the 5.7-liter V8 on 2012 Ram 2500 pickup DJ models and 3500 cab and chassis DD models. Note that these are heavy duty applications.

Light duty applications use the 65RFE. Except for some software differences, the 65RFE is essentially the same as a 545RFE. In fact, you can consider any statement concerning the 545RFE to apply to the 65RFE as well.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 03-22-2012, 02:39 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Ok now I'm really confused. I thought the 68rfe was the HD trans behind the hemi?

Old 03-22-2012, 02:49 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

LOL, that's another option , but either way the only 4G 1500 Ram transmission is a 545rfe with 5 forward gears and optional 2nd prime,
or the new modified version with re-worked software to utilize 2nd prime in the normal upshift and renaming it a "6" speed. for teh 12's
Dont care what they want to call it, its still an old dog turd with a new number slapped on it..

Hope the new rumored 8 speed in the mid year 13' models is a "Real" improvement over the previous turds Dodge has released.

even our 09'-10' 5 speed auto is a reprogrammed 4 speed from the 3G Hemi trans I had in my old 04' Ram.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
or the new modified version with re-worked software to utilize 2nd prime in the normal upshift and renaming it a "6" speed.
Ok well I don't actually know this for a fact as I haven't driven a truck with the "new" "6 speed" transmission, but transengineer (who designs them) IIRC told me it also does not use 2nd prime in normal upshifting. I'm pretty sure(there is a small doubt as I have a terrible memory lol) that he said it is literally 100% identical in every way to the 545rfe, they just changed the name is all.

So basically people have been saying things like "I like the older 545rfe better than this new 6 speed" and stuff like that, when it is actually identical, even the way it shifts and doesn't use 2nd prime in normal upshifts.

Again, I'm not positive but if the guy that designs it says so then I'll believe it...

Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Regular Cab Hemi Express
Trim Level: Regular Cab Express
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Hemi Joe is on a distinguished road

How much slower is a 4x4 Express in the 1/4 mile? Do they still run 14's? I have a 2012 Express 4x4 regular cab with 3:55 gears. I figure there's additional weight and drag with the 4x4 models.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:44 PM

^only one way to find out

Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Regular Cab Hemi Express
Trim Level: Regular Cab Express
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Hemi Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
^only one way to find out
Yeah, I live close to Maple Grove so I plan on finding out.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
steelercountry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
That is pretty impressive for a fairly stock Express,
Get some smaller, lighter drag radials on 17" wheels will get you even better results. High 13's for sure.
I dropped half a second when I went to 28" tall 295/45R17 drag radials on my 10' RCSB 4x4 with 3.55's
I have been looking for some 17" steelies that will fit my truck. I can't imagine what it would do if i didn't have these massive goodyears on it. I really don't want to spend a pile of money, so used ram takeoffs is my best bet, and only DR's in the back so front tires can be any low profile tire. I figure if i can do it for less than $500 then i might have a chance at convincing the wife that it's a good idea.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Joe View Post
How much slower is a 4x4 Express in the 1/4 mile? Do they still run 14's? I have a 2012 Express 4x4 regular cab with 3:55 gears. I figure there's additional weight and drag with the 4x4 models.
4x4 is about 300 pounds heavier, so 3 tenths slower.

Every hundred pounds = 1 tenth.

Not to worry though I turned my 10' RCSB 4x4 with 3.55's into a 13 second beast with just intake, exhaust, tires and a tune.