DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

I would run the 87 perf tune on 89 octane, that will be a healty gaibn over stock!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dark Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
THasse is on a distinguished road

I'm running the 87 tune on it now. I simply asked to see if there is maybe a margin that somebody else has found. I understand that they say not to run any less than 91 in a 91 tune etc, but I also know that a lot of companies will say this type of thing to cover their a$$ if something does happen. I do understand timing and how it affects the engine, what does it hurt to ask if someone else has already tried it and had no issues? I have been debating between running the 93 through to up the avg. octane in the tank so I can run it because no, 91 is NOT available in my area, and 93 is very hard to find. I have one gas station in a 35 mile radius that will sell 93, so thanks Doz for the harsh words, very appreciated. I'm simply going through ideas. I've done a lot of carburetor work, but I'm new to tuners, heaven forbid there be a learning curve. I knew before typing in the question that I'd probably get a long list of no's with the occasional wtf, but now atleast I know for sure, I've been surprised before...
Old 03-22-2012, 01:07 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dark Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
THasse is on a distinguished road

And Snrusnack, it's a 4wd, quad cab, short box, with slightly taller tires, not exactly a light truck. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:53 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

You can always datalog it to see what the timing is doing, but Dodge PCMs are very quick to pull timing out.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:49
doz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by THasse View Post
I'm running the 87 tune on it now. I simply asked to see if there is maybe a margin that somebody else has found. I understand that they say not to run any less than 91 in a 91 tune etc, but I also know that a lot of companies will say this type of thing to cover their a$$ if something does happen. I do understand timing and how it affects the engine, what does it hurt to ask if someone else has already tried it and had no issues? I have been debating between running the 93 through to up the avg. octane in the tank so I can run it because no, 91 is NOT available in my area, and 93 is very hard to find. I have one gas station in a 35 mile radius that will sell 93, so thanks Doz for the harsh words, very appreciated. I'm simply going through ideas. I've done a lot of carburetor work, but I'm new to tuners, heaven forbid there be a learning curve. I knew before typing in the question that I'd probably get a long list of no's with the occasional wtf, but now atleast I know for sure, I've been surprised before...
Be sad and take it how you want. You said yourself that you understand what octane is and how an engine works so why would it be different with a tuner? Knock is present whether its carb'ed or FI, forced induction or n/a. Its just frustrating to me that people want to spend $300+ dollars on a tuner and get a performance upgrade just to try and be cheap and ask if they can "get away" with running a lower octane.

If you did your research, youd know that most tuners have data logging. If you are unsure if you can run 89 on a 91 tune, data log as thats what its there for. See for yourself if its pulling timing due to detonation. You purchased a product that will answer your question.

Call it harsh if you want, but its reality. Too many people jumping into something they obviously know nothing about without doing their research. You can find GOBS of information between here and other sites about the question you asked. You are spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars modifying your truck and you are trying to save $.10/gallon on fuel which could potentially harm your engine and negate the money you just spent for performance modification. You are basically willing to hurt your performance and/or engine for $100/year difference in fuel cost. Seriously??? Yeah, harsh reality, deal with it ;/ Maybe you shouldve opted for a Prius.
DS Trinity w/ Jay Greene Tune (PM for info), S&B Intake, ARH LT Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back, 87mm PTB, BT Catch Can, 180* T-Stat, v6 E-Fan, 5000k RS HID, XD Misfits w/ 35"x12.5"x18", Rancho QL level, 5% tint w/ 35% full windshield

Last edited by doz; 03-22-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:26
Moose612 is on a distinguished road

I have a question on this. I understand everything stated already, but I travel often and if I were to need to fill up and the best available was 89 wherever I was driving through What would be my best option? Would running one tank really hurt it, well itd be half a tank cause during trips I fill up every half tank. Or should I take the fifteen minutes to retune?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^you'd likely be ok, just would need to listen for detonation/pinging. If your scenario happened to me I'd fill up and listen closely, if it sounded fine I'd continue driving (with an alert ear), if it pinged I'd change the tune. Also, I wouldn't drive it hard (heavy throttle).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:19 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue/Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:36
MadSoul87 is on a distinguished road

I believe there is away to pull back the 91 tune to run with 89 fuel. I am not fully sure on the ratios for that and I know I saw it somewhere on here. Pretty sure it was in the DSP section so dive on in there and see what you can find. That is where I founded all my information on my Trinity before I pulled the trigger on it. Dig in and see what you can come up with and good luck with whichever route you go with. Keep us updated.

My Build Page
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102923
Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:49
doz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose612 View Post
I have a question on this. I understand everything stated already, but I travel often and if I were to need to fill up and the best available was 89 wherever I was driving through What would be my best option? Would running one tank really hurt it, well itd be half a tank cause during trips I fill up every half tank. Or should I take the fifteen minutes to retune?
One tank wont hurt it. Youll be fine. Like has been stated, itll pull the timing and you probably wont even notice it. I personally wouldnt do it daily. Where do you travel that only has 89? Is it higher elevations? If thats the case, then it might not even pull timing as the air isnt as dense and higher octane isnt needed.
DS Trinity w/ Jay Greene Tune (PM for info), S&B Intake, ARH LT Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back, 87mm PTB, BT Catch Can, 180* T-Stat, v6 E-Fan, 5000k RS HID, XD Misfits w/ 35"x12.5"x18", Rancho QL level, 5% tint w/ 35% full windshield