DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 4.7L Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Whether you go with a simple muffler swap leaving the single 3" exhaust in place or do duals after the muffler with say 2.25" or 2.5" pipes, the results will be very similar. Technically I'd say the duals will give more power if you use say 2.25" pipes because you have enough pipe diameter to move the same volume of gas as the single 3" pipe, but since you split it into two smaller diameter pipes you should have higher velocity. The results will be mildly different though. Plus, if you have a local shop do dual tailpipes they will most likely not use mandrel bends (which the factory pipe has) and these crush bends that they use will probably negate any improvements that you gain. The pipe will also likely not be stainless like factory.

I've seen dyno comparisons of a properly sized y pipe setup vs a properly sized x pipe setup and there was less than a 5hp max gain with the x pipe setup. IMO, the couple hp gained is offset by the extra weight of the extra pipe. Not to mention the added cost. IMO the only reason to add duals is for looks.

There is probably some change in sound as well, since it's coming from two different spots (think about mono speaker vs. stereo), but this is so technical there's really no way to "calculate" or figure this out without simply doing it and seeing if it sounds good to you...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

And yes you are going to heck for even thinking about it

Old 03-21-2012, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:44
THasse is on a distinguished road

Snrusnack, I have to argue you some on a couple of your points. Having a free-er flowing exhaust does actually lose some of your low-end torque. The thing is, it will only be noticeable in situations where you are towing though at lower speeds, like maybe a camper through the mountains. Some back-pressure is needed for heavy torque, but most people don't find themselves in an environment where it's really needed. You mentioned spending time on the drag-strip, that's a high-rev (i.e. horsepower) environment more than torque. Unless at your drag strip a lot of guys don't get the tires spinning at take-off, then they definitely need torque!
I grew up on a farm, everything we do requires excessive torque, I will however qualify this by saying a lot of my info comes from diesel uses, but a lot of the physics are the same.
For the o.p. I would still lean toward the free-er flowing exhaust and I doubt you will notice any significant torque drop with the y-pipe mod. Unless this is a towing vehicle, a lot of towing and you may notice some. I still plan to do it to mine.
One last thing, Snrusnack, you mentioned that there would not likely be any hp noticed from duals out the back of the muffler. I'd agree with that, you're talking very little actual area there between the muffler and tailpipe. At that point, the exhaust gases are cooling, slowing down and have already passed through the restrictive parts. That would mostly be for looks after the muffler, unless you've moved it further forward anyway...
Old 03-21-2012, 03:05 PM

True that at the drag strip high rpm's are more often seen than low rpms. Still though, back pressure(which is another word for restriction, basically) is not helpful for making more torque at any rpm, even low rpm's, even idle. I'm not sure where this "myth" comes from, but just about everyone out there believes it is the case. It really doesn't make sense if you think about it, an engine is an air pump that will output more power (and torque) by moving a greater volume of air(and fuel) through it, how would restricting the exhaust flow help to move air in and out of the combustion chamber faster/more efficiently? It won't under any circumstance or at any rpm, it is always going to hurt power potential (and torque output).

What you may have experienced on farm vehicles, or towing, or whatever else you may have done that used lower rpms is that there is not much difference at low rpms with a restrictive exhaust vs free flowing exhaust. It's not nearly as critical at low rpms. For example, say with a stock restrictive exhaust an engine may make 100lbft at 1500 rpm and 200 lbft at 4000 rpm. Then say the same engine with free flowing exhaust may make 102lbft at 1500rpm and 220lbft at 4000rpm. Basically no noticeable difference at low rpm, but a fairly significant and noticeable difference at high rpm.

I'd say that this may or may not be true for other types of engines such as diesels, 2 strokes, rotary's, etc. but for 4 strokes it definitely holds water.

You don't have to believe me but I'm just putting information out there from what I've learned and from what I've seen in my experiences.

Diesels run at extremely low rpms and they still get power increases from free flowing exhausts. Just another example. And I think some restriction is required for power potential with 2 strokes but that has something to do with the fact that it's a valveless engine, and the rate of flow in the exhaust has a significant effect on the rate of intake flow, engine rpm potential, etc. In other words 2 strokes are more relient on "exhaust tuning". 4 strokes rely on cams and valve springs, the pressure in the exhaust really has almost nothing to do with it and is only a restriction.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:09 PM

I've yet to see anyone prove me wrong by showing a dyno that shows a more restrictive muffler producing more torque at low rpm's than with a free flowing muffler, all else being equal...

Old 03-25-2012, 04:10 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Rep:10
micar71 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. When I get the $$$, I'm going to leave everything stock and just change out the muffler. I just want a deeper tone, but not so much that I have a droning headache 100 miles down the road. I'm not concerned so much about the + 1 or 2 hp gain. I'm more concerned about the loss of hp and torque.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:53 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I've posted this a couple of other places already but I think it applies here so I will post it for you too. I swapped from a Flowmaster Super 44 (chambered and therefore atleast slightly more restrictive) to a Magnaflow 18" straight-through design muffler on my 2006 4.7L and immediately noticed a definite slight increase in low end pull. The exhaust was entirely stock otherwise with both mufflers. I personally like the sound of the Magnaflow better too. You say you want a deeper tone, no loss of power (maybe a gain), and no severe drone...my recommendation is Magnaflow all the way.

And to whomever it was that asked about a single exit, stock appearing exhaust with an aftermarket rumble....no, there is nothing wrong with that at all. It's an economical way to get a great sounding exhaust and lots of folks do it. I have had that on a couple of different trucks and always got compliments.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

I had the gibson catback dual swept side on my 04 Ram 1500 QC SLT (4.7) after 2k miles and I loved it. Perfect all around driving and noticeable power increase all around with the K&N CAI as well. I towed a 33 footer back and forth to Florida with it and it was a great puller for me. Good luck with yor exhaust choice, keep us posted on any increases and get some pics of the change if you can
Old 03-26-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
I've posted this a couple of other places already but I think it applies here so I will post it for you too. I swapped from a Flowmaster Super 44 (chambered and therefore atleast slightly more restrictive) to a Magnaflow 18" straight-through design muffler on my 2006 4.7L and immediately noticed a definite slight increase in low end pull. The exhaust was entirely stock otherwise with both mufflers. I personally like the sound of the Magnaflow better too. You say you want a deeper tone, no loss of power (maybe a gain), and no severe drone...my recommendation is Magnaflow all the way.

And to whomever it was that asked about a single exit, stock appearing exhaust with an aftermarket rumble....no, there is nothing wrong with that at all. It's an economical way to get a great sounding exhaust and lots of folks do it. I have had that on a couple of different trucks and always got compliments.
Magnaflow it will be. My mother-in-law has FM on her Mustang and it sounds like a high pitch popping - trying to enter the rumbling zone. Irritating as hell to listen to while driving.

I was the one asking about stock exhaust with aftermarket mufflers. Thanks for your input. I just wanted opinions. I like the appearance of my truck.

I do have one question for everyone. My factory exhaust sounds more throaty when I start it up. It did not sound like this when I first bought it. Some time around 5,000 miles is when I noticed it. It sounds cool. But then again, after having driven a V6 for 18 years, anything sounds cool. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonsnorth View Post
I had the gibson catback dual swept side on my 04 Ram 1500 QC SLT (4.7) after 2k miles and I loved it. Perfect all around driving and noticeable power increase all around with the K&N CAI as well. I towed a 33 footer back and forth to Florida with it and it was a great puller for me. Good luck with yor exhaust choice, keep us posted on any increases and get some pics of the change if you can
Yes Sir, I will post some pics, but it will be some time down the road.