DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
CountryD is on a distinguished road

SO, the dealer called me today and told me to come back in so they could take some more pics to send to Corp. Hopefully this process is moving forward, I just hope that Corp takes care of this. I will give another update monday with what the dealer tells me.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew cab
Trim Level: SLT/Big horn
Color: Black
Carnut2 is on a distinguished road
Default Paint

I saw your pictures on the silver paint and I'd be going nuts! I have a black 2012 crewcab that I have brought back twice for paint issues. 1) large glob of clearcoat on bottom of drivers door. They had to sand down and reclear the door. 2) brownish,gold very small flecks of paint under clearcoat on front edge of hood. Not enough paint! They had to repaint the ENTIRE hood and reclear it. Thats just plain BS. Finished product was better than factory, but the aggravation is not acceptable. The more I dig into this forum the more problems I find with paint issues. Chrysler better get their act together or they'll be in the tank again!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut2 View Post
I saw your pictures on the silver paint and I'd be going nuts! I have a black 2012 crewcab that I have brought back twice for paint issues. 1) large glob of clearcoat on bottom of drivers door. They had to sand down and reclear the door. 2) brownish,gold very small flecks of paint under clearcoat on front edge of hood. Not enough paint! They had to repaint the ENTIRE hood and reclear it. Thats just plain BS. Finished product was better than factory, but the aggravation is not acceptable. The more I dig into this forum the more problems I find with paint issues. Chrysler better get their act together or they'll be in the tank again!
Hell, Im going crazy over this crap. They shouldnt put out a product like that. I have since found a few more spots on the left door and hood, so it may look like they could repaint the entire truck. If they give me crap I will take legal steps then.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 PM

So heres another update on my Paint issues. The dealer called me this morning and asked me to bring it in for more pics. He said they had a special light installed in their shop, because several people have came in and complained about "paint Imperfections". So, I take it over there and sure enough, they rolled the truck into a bay and turned on this light and WOW!!, they said the entire truck will have to be repainted. The hood has big spots, the entire bed and both doors on the passenger side.

So, he took alot more pics and then CORP callled me this afternoon and told me that they had filed a penalty to the dealer that I bought the truck from, that they should have noticed this before shipment of the truck. Also told me that the scratches that the truck has, it shouldnt have been sent out that way either. They told me they would call be back next week with details on the re-paint. Said that the entire truck will be repainted. Also, said that they will give me a Line-X spray in bedliner for my troubles. So, we'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:27 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryD View Post
So heres another update on my Paint issues. The dealer called me this morning and asked me to bring it in for more pics. He said they had a special light installed in their shop, because several people have came in and complained about "paint Imperfections". So, I take it over there and sure enough, they rolled the truck into a bay and turned on this light and WOW!!, they said the entire truck will have to be repainted. The hood has big spots, the entire bed and both doors on the passenger side.

So, he took alot more pics and then CORP callled me this afternoon and told me that they had filed a penalty to the dealer that I bought the truck from, that they should have noticed this before shipment of the truck. Also told me that the scratches that the truck has, it shouldnt have been sent out that way either. They told me they would call be back next week with details on the re-paint. Said that the entire truck will be repainted. Also, said that they will give me a Line-X spray in bedliner for my troubles. So, we'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks.
My 2010 mineral gray in the right light was terrible, you could see where the metallic was getting spit out of the gun, I just call them blotches. The hood was the worse, looked liked it was painted in someone's garage in a windstorm.

My dealer didnt need any special lighting, I bought the truck at night and it was raining on top of it. Couple days later when I washed it the first time I was like WTF. Besides that there was some primer showing under the clear on a couple edges, fisheyes, dirt in the paint, clear runs, lot of stuff.

They offered to repaint the whole truck and I was pretty pissed off, I wanted another one, until I walked the lot and they ALL had crappy paint jobs if you looked close. I paid over 10K off sticker, they couldnt give these things away at the end of '09, so instead on gambling on an unknown I just left it. The good news is that after three years of sitting outside and never being waxed it was still shiny, nothing peeled off or rusted and I was satisfied with that.

Not to make you feel any better but my old 60K Escalade in pearl white was horrible, when the sun hit that thing the right way it looked like some giant animal pee'd across the side - terrible. Same deal, GM said they would repaint it and they did, and it did look a little better. But I also had the joy of watching the clear peel off in two years and several edges start to rust. Plus I had to bring it in several times to get parts re-buffed out because scratches (under the paint/clear) would start showing up.

Myself I hate getting a new car repainted, my wife's new GC had some transport damage on the tailgate and it was repaired by the dealer's bodyshop (one of the better ones around) and I can notice it right away, my wife cant and thats what matters.

Good luck with it, I have learned over the last 30 years or so of buying new cars/trucks that there is no such thing as 'perfect' paint, even my old 2011 BMW M3 was far from perfect, plus it would scratch if you just looked at it..
Old 04-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012
Trim Level: Express
Color: silver
thrillseeka is on a distinguished road
Default Same issue

Country D, i have a 2012 with silver metallic. I have the same exact issue. Noticed it 1 week after i bought the truck in November. Notified the dealer and the chrysler body shop. Its been a back and forth process.

They Approved a full repaint but i argued that i paid for a brand new truck. and i want a brand new truck not a repainted one.
After some back and forth, I talked to the district manager for the area and he said he would replace my truck.

I should be getting my replacement some time next week. Seems to be very common to have paint issues with these trucks.
I bought mine in el paso texas. I wonder if it has something to do with the factory in mexico.

Last edited by thrillseeka; 04-03-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Tequila Sunrise
Rep:15
itshertruck is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to itshertruck

I guess I should count my lucky stars that so far, after 2 years of ownership, countless washes, waxes and buffing, the only things that I have noticed are the are the ones that my kids have assisted by way of the stop signs and what not. I will try and take a much closer look for discoloration in my paint. Thanks for the heads up everyone.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillseeka View Post
Country D, i have a 2012 with silver metallic. I have the same exact issue. Noticed it 1 week after i bought the truck in November. Notified the dealer and the chrysler body shop. Its been a back and forth process.

They Approved a full repaint but i argued that i paid for a brand new truck. and i want a brand new truck not a repainted one.
After some back and forth, I talked to the district manager for the area and he said he would replace my truck.

I should be getting my replacement some time next week. Seems to be very common to have paint issues with these trucks.
I bought mine in el paso texas. I wonder if it has something to do with the factory in mexico.

I dont think they would give me a new truck since mine has 1100 miles on it. I also dont want to have it repainted silver, but I doubt that they would paint it a different color. Any thoughts?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: grey
Rep:17
edd5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillseeka View Post

Is your truck a regular cab or a 4 door? Of the 1500 series only the regular cabs are built in Mexico. All of the 4 doors are built in Warren Michigan. The painting equipment in both factories is robotic, but the Mexico plant has newer equipment and is a newer facility. Environmental control is everything when painting, and its tough to achieve in a big factory. The Mexico location actually has a drier more stable environment than Michigan. Lousy winter weather in Michigan can result in bad paint jobs as the factory paint line AC & vent system struggle to deal with temperature & humidity and in the process blow dust and crap around. However if the QC inspectors are doing their jobs properly they won't go out like that. Bottom line, the Mexico built trucks generally have better paint. My mineral gray RC SLT has very nice paint albeit with the usual slight orange peel you get with the modern clear coat paints. A good machine polish by a competent body shop or detailer will even take most of that out if I want. But hell, its a daily driver truck, not a show car.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 PM

Mine isnt a daily driver though, I have a little car for a small commute to and from work. Ive had the truck almost 2 months and only 1100 miles. Obviously with my truck QC failed and they shouldnt have shipped the truck that way. Mine was also built on a Friday, LOL. I just hope that CORP comes through and gives me a total repaint, because the quote the dealer sent in is from a FANTASTIC auto body shop here. They do great work.