DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Hemi Crew
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearlcoat
Rep:10
MoparDude is on a distinguished road

Just a FYI blurb, Adjusting front toe without knowing what you're doing will only chew up tires. What you first need to look for on the alignment sheet printout is if you have any thrust line issues, this is basically your toe position at the back end of the vehicle. What most people don't realize is the rear alignment is what is responsible for projecting you in a straight line down the road. Your front wheels just point you in a direction. If there are no issues with the thrust line, or it's less than .25 of a degree, then look at the front end. Camber and Caster have to be in spec, and generally should be within .5 degree from the left and right sides and on the same side of zero, either (-) or (+) for camber, and the same tolerance for Caster, with Caster always being positive on our trucks.
If that's all good, then look at your toe. Toe should only be adjusted to factory spec. If its a slight fade to the left or right, and toe is in spec, caster can be adjusted to compensate for a slight fade. Any good alignment tech knows this. Rule of thumb is a vehicle will always pull to the side with the least amount of Caster. IE: 3.0 degrees left, and 3.8 degrees right, the truck will have a slight pull/fade to the left. Less weight on the steering axis is the reason for this.

If you go and start playing with toe, you will effectively scrub your tires like an eraser on paper. I know I'm not looking forward to replacing mine anytime soon!

Good luck...

Last edited by MoparDude; 04-05-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

so, did goodyear make good on the tire?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: 1500 ST W/CCP 26C
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
dgrazulis is on a distinguished road
Default Laser alignment rack showed rear axle out of alignment

I installed the Hell Bent 2" leveling kit on my 1500 4x4 Express. I have a residential plow hitch that added about 75# to the front end, and dropped the front end about 1/4", so it needed some help.
Anyway, after installing the kit I took it to a reputable alignment shop where they have a laser rack.
Much to our amazement, the rear axle was not parallel to the front, and did not have any adjustment with which to correct. This permanent condition will cause the truck to forever travel down the road on a slight angle, with an ever so slight pull to the left. Dodge ought to provide some adjustment on this five link arrangement, so that this truck could be aligned properly.
In light of all of this I would advise against aligning any vehicle with strings, blocks and sticks....And definitely DO NOT fore go an alignment after lifting the front end. Camber and toe in were both WAY out of spec after adding the HB kit.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I've never seen a solid rear axle vehicle that had rear adjustment. Using string is still ok for this because you want the wheels traveling in the same direction, not fighting each other. If the rear wheels really are slightly off, and you make the fronts perfectly straight, then they won't match.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:55 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Ram Hood
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:516
Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

Went to a local Goodyear dealer, He called himself a "sub Dealer" and he can't do warranties.

So called the dealer the next town over, he called the local guy here out and said he's full of shit to me.

So heading an hour away on Monday to show them whats up.

The local dealer said he did notice it, but then he tries to blame it on alignment, I showed him the bill it was dead straight, than over inflating. He was trying to get out of it. Than in the end he said he doesn't do warranties...what a **********
Old 04-07-2012, 08:36 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab Sport
Color: black
Rep:251
2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough

139.99 for an alignment?? for real... every shop around here is 60 for the front and 80 for all 4 wheels using the laser things.......... are u including gas plus alignment for 140??