DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
LeKy411 will become famous soon enoughLeKy411 will become famous soon enough
Default VSM Mounting Bracket for Cell Phone Review for Those Curious Folk!

This is a review of the Pro-Fit vehicle specific mounting bracket along with the Arkon with the Mega Grip Phone Holder. I purchased the bracket and the phone holder through Arkon.com for $54.50 plus shipping. If you plan on using a iPhone then a 6foot black iPod cable was $9.99 on Amazon

Packaging:
Shipping was slightly slow. It was almost a week from the time I ordered the items from Arkon, before they actually shipped it. I was hoping to have it in time for the weekend, but alas someone took their sweet time to ship it. I accidentally ordered another piece which I thought I needed and it turned out that because I purchased the bracket and holder together they included the connecting piece. In fact they gave me two. I was happy about that. All items were individually sealed and the box was well closed up. Overall product was well handled.

Directions:
General directions for the bracket where included but specific directions for the Ram could only be found online at pro-fit-intl.com the actual makers of the bracket. Also the directions were only for the bench seat model. Taking apart the radio bezel on the model's with the center console requires a couple extra steps which I totally forgot about and would have attempted to do it by force without taking off the center. Thank you to the forum for all those great directions on how to take apart the radio bezel. Same instructions if you are installing a Lockpic.

Installation:
Installation took approximately 30 minutes from start to finish. Biggest challenge was taking off the center bezel around the radio. This is the most difficult part and slightly nerve racking I would hate to break a piece. Once that was done, removing a single screw and installing the bracket was a snap. Just follow the directions and you are all set.

If you plan on running the iPod cable through the glove box you will need to remove the lower glove box completely. The cable can be run through the glove box light. You may need to do some trimming if you have a glove box light, but if you have a Sport model which never came with it like mine running the cable is easy. Just push it through the hole and it drops behind the lower glove box and you can then run into the whole of the center bezel. Really easy. I recommend pulling through as much cable as necessary. This way you always have some if a friend wants to plug his iPod in and use it in a comfortable fashion from the passenger seat.

Overall:
This was an easy installation with okay instructions. The bracket only mounts to one screw and is not 100% sturdy. I would feel safer with two screws. The bracket comes with an extender and if you don't put the extender on before mounting the bracket I guarantee putting it on after is going to be a pain and you will probably damage your radio because putting on the extension requires lots of force. Once it is on, the movement is smooth. So only the initial application is difficult.

It does shake a little when you click on the phone, but if you put your hand around it, it feels very comfortable easier to use and no issue with shaking. The holder itself is great and easy to use. It will work on almost all phones and I can leave my case on, the main reason I purchased it.

Adjusting the phone holder is easy and once in place it does not move. The best part about the bracket is there is no suction cup, so it will never pop of. All the screws are already on your truck so no drilling, if you don't like it you can take it off easily without any damage to the car. My favorite part is that it appears as if the truck came with the bracket.

The ball mount the bracket uses is identical to the one used by Garmin so if you have a non-nav radio you can use this bracket to install your Garmin next to the radio with a near factory look. This is a very versatile bracket and you can purchase different holders from Arkon depending on what you like.

I give this product ZZZZZZZZ (8Z's)
Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
Ironsides is on a distinguished road

Nice. I use my phone as a GPS, and I got pretty annoyed with the suction cup mount falling off and the power wire just hanging down. So I dremeled the bottom off of my phone mount, glued in some 3/8" nuts, and then bolted it through a pre-existing hole in the tray on top of the center stack. I did have to drill a hole in the small rubber mat that lays in it, and a small hole through both the tray and the mat for the power cable. If I ever want to take the system out, I just need to replace the rubber mat for a few bucks, and you'd never know anything was installed there. I wired the power cable, which also splits out as an AUX cable, to the back of the keyed-on 12V outlet in the center stack. I run the AUX cable out on top of the cupholders and into the AUX input on the head unit when I want to listen to music from my phone, until I replace the head unit with one that can do bluetooth a2dp. The power cable connects into the phone mount itself, so all I have to do is pop my phone in, and it's good to go. The phone also recognizes the mount, and automatically goes into GPS mode.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:54 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

nice review. tks..........
Old 03-17-2012, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dk Cherry Red
Rep:14
dkerr24 is on a distinguished road

Option C:

I went with the cupholder mount cell phone holder for $11 from Amazon.

Pros: No drilling or any permanent change to my vehicle's interior. Inexpensive. Holds phone snugly, no movement. You can move this holder from vehicle to vehicle in minutes.

Cons: You lose a cupholder, but there's still 1 in the console and 4 more in the front doors.

http://www.amazon.com/Macally-mCup-A...1988858&sr=8-2

Last edited by dkerr24; 03-17-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Rep:100
LeKy411 will become famous soon enoughLeKy411 will become famous soon enough

I guess the whole point of the mounted one was that I ran the iPod connector through the dash and now I have a permanent place for my phone. It doesn't take up room and sits at almost eye level. I never need to look down and can see my phone while looking at the road. Yes there are other options, but the whole point of this was to review a decent product and setup.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:10 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Good review....Thanks for the info......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 03-22-2012, 01:02 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Rep:67
Rough 01 will become famous soon enough

great review and nice job on the install!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Flame Red
Rep:10
thines is on a distinguished road

Here is mine. It's Xtand by Just Mobile. It's simple but stylish and flexible. Mount my iPhone as my navigation device. It comes with a window suction as well and 2 extra mounting buttons. The base by the way is attached to a mounting button install with a "glue less" (that's what they say) adhesive. The phone holder comes off and can be replaced with any gadget by using the extra buttons.

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg