DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Rep:10
wilky70 is on a distinguished road
Default T/C question

After waiting for more then 2 months the dealer finally got my replacement torque convertor in. I had been calling every 2-3 weeks for an update and they told me they were waiting for a new part number to issued that would address the problems Dodge has been having with our trucks.
I dropped the truck off tonight and asked what part number convertor they were installing in my truck, He told me R8051146AB and said the "R" meant re-manufactured.
Does this seem correct? has Dodge issued a new part number and are the parts re-manufactured?
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew 4X4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Met.
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
roar84 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky70 View Post
After waiting for more then 2 months the dealer finally got my replacement torque convertor in. I had been calling every 2-3 weeks for an update and they told me they were waiting for a new part number to issued that would address the problems Dodge has been having with our trucks.
I dropped the truck off tonight and asked what part number convertor they were installing in my truck, He told me R8051146AB and said the "R" meant re-manufactured.
Does this seem correct? has Dodge issued a new part number and are the parts re-manufactured?
Not sure on the numbers or the re-manufacture. When I had mine replaced in Feb. of this year the service advisor told me it was a new converter that they were going to put in. I checked my service paperwork from when I had mine replaced and it had the following information:

Installed RL051146AB : Converter: Torque Qty:1
Core Chg UL051146AB: REM: Converter Kit: Core Char Qty: 1

I hope this infomation helps. You have me wondering if I also got a re-manufactured converter.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: Long horn/sport
Color: brilliant black pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
readster1 is on a distinguished road

I keep hearing about tc recalls how do I find out more about this issue I have a 2011 sport/long horn and was wondering how do I find out more about this??
6" Pro comp lift,18" Fuel octain rims,Nitto trail grappler, custom CIA,Flowmaster 40,Catch can,Custom emblems,Debaged,Tinted 3rd.and tail lights,Painted headlights,Color matched grill,Painted engine cover,Color matched interior trim
Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
Rammin88 is on a distinguished road

I had the TC issue. They replaced mine with a re-manufactured one. To be honest, I'd rather have a re-manufactured one then a brand new one simply because a tech. physically took it apart, inspected it, and fixed whatever needed to be fixed. Problem with a brand new TC is that your orginal was brand new. What to say is the brand new TC isn't broken? Then if you keep hearing the griding noise the dealer will eventually give up and at the end say it is not the TC. Try to get a re-manufactured one, I've had mine in since summer of 2011 and haven't had any issues.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Q23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by readster1 View Post
I keep hearing about tc recalls how do I find out more about this issue I have a 2011 sport/long horn and was wondering how do I find out more about this??

There is a STICKY on this whole issue... its at the top of the 2011 forum
Old 04-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn Crew Cab
Color: Gray
mustang8918 is on a distinguished road

Always good to get some new info, re-manufactured it is then.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

is this a specific issue only related to the 2011 with the 5.7?
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo spaghetti View Post
is this a specific issue only related to the 2011 with the 5.7?
No, the 4.7Ls are affected, too.

But as I've pointed out, this is only a noise issue, not a durability issue. The problem is rattle of the turbine hub spline when the torque converter clutch (TCC) is fully applied. Splines with too much clearance (backlash) can exhibit a "warble" noise (which I think has been best described as sounding like a Frisbee sliding across smooth concrete). The spline clearance will vary from converter to converter (due to manufacturing tolerances), so some are quiet and some make noise.

So if you get the noise and it annoys you, get the converter replaced. But if you have to really listen carefully to hear the noise, or aren't sure you even have it, then you don't have to replace the converter. It is not going to self-destruct prematurely!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
No, the 4.7Ls are affected, too.

But as I've pointed out, this is only a noise issue, not a durability issue. The problem is rattle of the turbine hub spline when the torque converter clutch (TCC) is fully applied. Splines with too much clearance (backlash) can exhibit a "warble" noise (which I think has been best described as sounding like a Frisbee sliding across smooth concrete). The spline clearance will vary from converter to converter (due to manufacturing tolerances), so some are quiet and some make noise.

So if you get the noise and it annoys you, get the converter replaced. But if you have to really listen carefully to hear the noise, or aren't sure you even have it, then you don't have to replace the converter. It is not going to self-destruct prematurely!
Transengineer-

I did have my TC replaced over a year ago. This eliminated the whining/grinding noise, but I still can hear the "frisbee" noise at times. That being said, with the splined part rattling around, would this eventually contaminate the TC by producing metal fragments/chips due to the sloppiness? Will this "frisbee" noise get worse? At this point it does not bother me enough to go through the hassle again with Chrysler and my dealership for a second replacement.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:08 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthunder View Post
Transengineer-

I did have my TC replaced over a year ago. This eliminated the whining/grinding noise, but I still can hear the "frisbee" noise at times. That being said, with the splined part rattling around, would this eventually contaminate the TC by producing metal fragments/chips due to the sloppiness? Will this "frisbee" noise get worse? At this point it does not bother me enough to go through the hassle again with Chrysler and my dealership for a second replacement.

Thanks.
I would not expect any contamination issues. This spline does not get "ground down" in operation. If anything, there may be a slight increase in backlash (and thus, some increase in noise level) as the first few teeth that come into contact get peened down. But once the load is spread over more teeth, I would not expect any progression in spline wear (or further increase in noise).

We are not talking huge amounts of backlash here. We have found detectable noise with as little as .004 inch of backlash. That's why we went to a riveted design for 2012 MY - it eliminates the backlash altogether.