DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
5500 is on a distinguished road
Default Calling all McGaughy's owners

Trying to decide on which 2/4 kit to get. Pretty sure I want the McG economy kit (F/R springs, rear track bar relocator, shortened end links). I'm curious about the rear link relocator. Can't find any reference material on the McG site. Does anyone have photos of the rear track bar reolcator installed that can be posted?

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 2wd express rcsb
Trim Level: express
Color: black clear coat
Rep:10
jlibert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5500 View Post
Trying to decide on which 2/4 kit to get. Pretty sure I want the McG economy kit (F/R springs, rear track bar relocator, shortened end links). I'm curious about the rear link relocator. Can't find any reference material on the McG site. Does anyone have photos of the rear track bar reolcator installed that can be posted?

Thanks
I went with the deluxe kit, and I'm happy with it. Rides like stock, aligned back to stock specs. The rear end still sits a bit higher than I'd like, so I'll probably have to cut a coil out of the lowering springs to get it just right. I don't have pics of my bracket, but there are pics in one of the mcg threads on this forum. It's a small bracket that bolts above the rear end on the driver's side.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
JoeMamma is on a distinguished road

After doing a lot of research and making a lot of phone calls, I decided to go with the Mcgaughy’s #44050 deluxe lowering kit on my 2012 Ram short cab 8 foot box.

Ordered it from Summit Racing. It was $580 with shipping.

No front coils, but a set of knuckles, rear coils, track bar relocating bracket, and a set of shorter sway bar links.

Sorry , don't have a picture of the bracket, but it was fairly easy to install.

Joe M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02592.jpg (125.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02604.jpg (127.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks guys.
Do either of you notice the raer axle offset to one side or another? A lot of folks lowering late model Rams have found the axle shifts to the passenger side and the right rear wheel stciks out a little fasrther than the left. Trying to see if this is a problem with MGH kits.

Ed
Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5500 View Post
Thanks guys.
Do either of you notice the raer axle offset to one side or another? A lot of folks lowering late model Rams have found the axle shifts to the passenger side and the right rear wheel stciks out a little fasrther than the left. Trying to see if this is a problem with MGH kits.

Ed
Hi Ed 5500,

After going through a lot of confusion with the different brands of available lowering kits, I crawled under my 2012 Ram to see what was really needed. After taking dimensions of the rear track bar and sway bar at curb height (normal riding height) and then correlating the dimensions on paper if adding a 4-inch drop, I was able to see both the original track bar and sway bar should be relocated.

Any vehicle (including the Ram) that is equipped with coil springs and that also uses a solid one piece axle assembly, whether the axle be located in either the front or rear end of the vehicle, will be equipped with a side mounted track bar and a set of front-to-rear track bars.

The design of any side mounted track bar will inherently move the axle slightly to the left and right as the axle moves up and down. This is happening as the track bar is moving (swinging) up and down through its radius.

At curb height (normal riding height) the position of an original side mounted track bar is usually designed to be at or near a horizontal plane. This is the main reason I went with the Mcgaughy’s #44050 kit.

When doing a 4 inch lowering, the Mcgaughy’s track bar relocation bracket is designed to keep the left/right axle positions very close to the designed original stock horizontal positions as the track bar is swinging up and down through its radius. This means the rear axle assembly will still be pulled slightly to the right as with the Rams stock rear axle configuration, but the amount of this movement is almost unnoticeable and mostly un-measureable.

If you were to lower your Ram a full 4 inches without the use of a track bar relocating bracket, then yes, it will pull the axle a noticeable amount slightly to the right side when your Ram is sitting at curb height. This is because the original track bars horizontal position has been changed. Because the track bar position has now moved past its center horizontal position and is now moving upward and through its radius, the rear axle will want to move (pull) towards the right.

To jlibert: You mentioned you had your Ram realigned. Were they able to return the front end alignment to its stock, original alignment specs ? Any chance you asked them to record the before and after alignment specs ? I still haven’t taken mine in for an alignment, so I’m just curious if the original specs can be obtained after installing the new Mcgaughy’s steering knuckles.

Joe M.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks Joe, what I was looking for.

Ed
Old 04-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
mattsRAM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMamma View Post
After doing a lot of research and making a lot of phone calls, I decided to go with the Mcgaughy’s #44050 deluxe lowering kit on my 2012 Ram short cab 8 foot box.

Ordered it from Summit Racing. It was $580 with shipping.

No front coils, but a set of knuckles, rear coils, track bar relocating bracket, and a set of shorter sway bar links.

Sorry , don't have a picture of the bracket, but it was fairly easy to install.

Joe M.
You made a good decision...I too have the same kit installed on my Sport. The ride is stock however, I still would like to go lower. McG has a 4/6 kit out now but I do not want to spend another $500 for another kit. Besides, I only want to go 2 inches more in the front and rear but I cannot find anyone who will sell individual coils. I may have to cut them but unsure on how too and if it's safe or not.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsRAM View Post
You made a good decision...I too have the same kit installed on my Sport. The ride is stock however, I still would like to go lower. McG has a 4/6 kit out now but I do not want to spend another $500 for another kit. Besides, I only want to go 2 inches more in the front and rear but I cannot find anyone who will sell individual coils. I may have to cut them but unsure on how too and if it's safe or not.
Hi Matt,

Yeah, a little lower would be nice, but like you, I really don't want to do the lowering job all over again.

I've lowered a few vehicles by replacing coil springs with custom-cut units, but I've never cut a coil spring.

My last lowering job was on my '67 Chevy C-10. Four inches in front and six inches in rear. I also had to cut the frame rails and install a custom notch kit so the rear axle assembly wouldn't strike the frame.

Joe M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01564.jpg (143.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01915.jpg (125.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: ST Express
Color: Silver
DS12Express is on a distinguished road

I went with the 2" lowering springs kit from McG for the rear on my '12 2wd Express 1500 after I had Helwig front and rear sway bars installed. I took crude measurements of the gap b/t the top of the tire and the highest point of the wheel well. Unfortunately, the McG springs really only lowered it about 1".

I would definitely like to bring the front end down 2" and the rear another 3"-4", but... I don't want to suffer ride quality. Any suggestions?

Daryl
Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS12Express View Post
I went with the 2" lowering springs kit from McG for the rear on my '12 2wd Express 1500 after I had Helwig front and rear sway bars installed. I took crude measurements of the gap b/t the top of the tire and the highest point of the wheel well. Unfortunately, the McG springs really only lowered it about 1".

I would definitely like to bring the front end down 2" and the rear another 3"-4", but... I don't want to suffer ride quality. Any suggestions?

Daryl
Hi Daryl,

I wish I would have taken measurements at all four corners before I did the lowering job.........too late now. Looks like I'll need to locate another (stock) 2012 Ram with 2WD, a short cab and an 8-foot box and see how high it sits. Then I'll have some kind of comparison.

You didn't mention which McG kit (part number) you used, and also didn't mention if you did anything to lower the front of your Ram ??

Did you use the McG kit that included the new steering knuckles ?

As far as ride quality, any time you make a change and use a stiffer set of sway bars, ride quality is usually worse. But, your Ram will probably corner like a Viper !

Joe M.