DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 RAM
Rep:10
Blow It Up is on a distinguished road
Default Help!!!!

I have a 1996 Dodge 1500 5.9l reg cab. I cannot get the 4x4 to work. The front axle locks in I know this cause I pulled the vacuum off the actuator and sucked until I couldnt move the front axle shafts or the front drive shaft. (I dont think im getting any vacuum?) Next I shifted the transfer case into low range and everything seemed to work ok. But its still not locked in... Is the transfer case vacuum asctuated or when you shift (has a lever) is it automatically locked in? Please help?????
methe truck
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

now I haven't messed with the drive line on my 4B yet . But from what I've seen of it there is an accuater in the trancfer case that activates light on dash and sends vaccume to engadge axel. So there is vac line from eng to teacfer case then from trancfer to axel.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Try vac pump on accuator on axel itself with front wheels off ground see if both wheels lock. If not work vac lines back. If it all checks out then its axel acuater or broke stuck fork or coller in axel.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The axle actuator works fine, But there is no vacuum does the shifter engage the transfer case or does it work off vacuum? The transfer case is the problem but I dont know it all works from vacuum or if it is mechanical?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT Laramie off road
Color: Pearl garnet
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
hunter.shawn is on a distinguished road

Is your problem with getting the truck to shift into 4X4, or out of 4X4? (may be a retarded question)..Also does the light on the dash (4X4) light up when you shift it back and forth.. On my truck as soon as i slide the gear selector into Neutral and slide the transfer case shifter into 4HI and then slide the the gear selector back into Drive the light comes on before I move. If this light isnt coming on it may be electrical or vaccum like RamFam said. I have been around many Rams and have never seen an actual transfercase lock up, they are fairly simple. The shifter does engage the transfercase to the best of my knowledge..Thats why it feels so substantial when you push into 4hi or LO. I have seen a transfer case not engage properly due to lack of vacuum or a simple wiring issue..I would bet thats what it is..Hope you get it figured out!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Like hunter shawn sed they are manual ( a man after my own name) so is it a light not comeingon? But axel locks drive line locks and you can feel the front end torqe throuh steering when you drive it? If I'm under seanding right? Might be bad bulb or at case itsself where swich goes in
Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

ok here we go with all four tires off the ground the front anxle locks in the transfer case shift but when you press the gas the the transfer case will not turn the front tires/front shaft. its inside the transfer case im just not sure if there is a actuator or if its gear on gear inside the t-case. whatever is happening its not telling the transfer case to turn the front shaft. broke chain? bad actuator inside the t-case? idk
Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Unless the truck has been through hell and back I would doubt it busted the chain (it's a fat chain if you have ever inspected one). An actuator sounds like a better bet. Have you done any heavy off roading lately? i know a guy whose 4x4 light whent out in the dash and he pulled a trail and gunned it, T-case binded up and blew a gear right off the chain. Suprisingly the chain was salvagable. Have you had your truck for a long time or is it a recent purchase? The Transfer case is one of the simplest drivetrain parts to perform repair on. A rebuild kit for it is not very expensive or Salvage Transfer cases are a dime a dozen for these trucks. At the moment you could pull the drain plug on the T case and dip your finger in the fluid (hopefully there is some) and check it's color/smell. That would give you the first hint at if your internals are fried.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

have you ntoiced any clunking in 2wd drive before this problem arose? these T cases tend to loose their snap ring and cause the gears to slide around and mesh together and eat at the internals. Check all the way around for cracks on your case.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:11 PM

Front drive shaft dsnt spin at all. Sounds like chain isn't being engadged at all if its hooked up. Some transfer cases have pto covers you can remove and look into case.