DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
96ram is on a distinguished road
Default Towing

So my 96 4x4 5.2 seems like such a pig. I have yet to attempt to tow anything with some real weight to it. What is everybody's towing experience with this motor and towing? Also, is there anything I can do to make it tow better?

Additionally, I would like to lift this truck but am worried that bigger tires would just make it that much worse at driving and towing.

Any advice and experiences is appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ram View Post
So my 96 4x4 5.2 seems like such a pig. I have yet to attempt to tow anything with some real weight to it. What is everybody's towing experience with this motor and towing? Also, is there anything I can do to make it tow better?

Additionally, I would like to lift this truck but am worried that bigger tires would just make it that much worse at driving and towing.

Any advice and experiences is appreciated.
Well I don't have the ram pickup nor do I 4x4, but I have a 2500 ram van with the 5.2L. I do tow with it though.

Well my experiences with this engine has been impressive, I tow a 32' travel trailer weighs around 5000 lbs and has a tongue weight of 700 lbs. I tow without a weight distribution and without modified suspension. It does very well and because of the excessive tongue weight I don't fall victim to sway.

The van itself weighs around 4500-5000 lbs. I have a 46RH and 3.55 gears, 235/75R15 Tires, I use 105S Passenger tires.

I towed from FL to SC and was getting about 12 MPG between 60-70 MPH. The temps were high, at one point had to put the heaters on and windows down but my radiator was no good so that goes without saying. Anyways, it did very well it towed it like it was nothing and I am going to be towing again, except a little bit longer distance.

In my honest opinion, I don't think you should put a lift kit on or put bigger tires, you will change the geometry of the u joints, you also will add more drag to the vehicle and worsen the aerodynamics not that they're the best anyways. Also with a lift kit depending how high you might run into a issue with the height of the ball from the ground, you have to remember the trailer must be either level with the tow vehicle or the hose of the trailer has to be slightly lower then the tow vehicle.

Oh and since you have a 4x4 you also have more drag so that means worse MPG, especially when towing. Anyway's when properly equipped I am able to tow up to 7900 LBS. The maximum GCVWR for my vehicle is 11,500 with 3.55. If I go to 3.92 I can get 12,500. If I go to 4.1 and modify the suspension and engine I might be able to get to 15,000 Lbs but that would require alot of modifications. Anyway's my experience with the 5.2 have been the best, I had the 5.9L and it sucks no offense to those who love it. The 5.9L doesn't give you to much more HP and torque then the 5.2L and with the math I did you actually save money towing with the 5.2L then the 5.9L and you can tow basically the same weight. When you tow with the 5.9L you get worse MPG then the 5.2L both towing the same weight, why when the cam profile of the 5.2L is much better then the 5.9L not to mention the lift of the 5.2L is much better then the 5.9L. If you can increase the exhaust lift on either engine you can probably keep the temps down and increase your torque a little bit.

Like anyone, install an external transmission cooler regardless of if you tow or not, cheap insurance.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

The stock torque converter really isn't much help. A higher stall speed would help, say 2400rpm. Ditto on an external cooler. Have you adjusted the kickdown cable for higher rpm upshifts? Open up the exhaust with a low restriction muffler. You could just swap gears, but being a 4x4, it'll take 2 sets.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:05 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
The stock torque converter really isn't much help. A higher stall speed would help, say 2400rpm. Ditto on an external cooler. Have you adjusted the kickdown cable for higher rpm upshifts? Open up the exhaust with a low restriction muffler. You could just swap gears, but being a 4x4, it'll take 2 sets.
I wouldn't mess around with the kickdown to much because he might end up running into some slipping, the best way to get taller shifts is to go directly to the source, the valve body and servo but this requires some industry knowledge.

But yea I agree if you're going to tow a higher stall, I have a low stall and I tow but I am also a daily driver and it's more practical to use low stall if you're a daily driver. One way or another low stall or high you can tow it's just going to be harder and slower during take off.

I see how a high flow muffler would help but their is still a cat???

4x4 is horrible and when you tow it's worst in terms of MPG I mean, if you're towing with a weight distribution hitch use 4x4 mode but if you're towing dead weight turn 4x4 off.

I enjoy towing, it's backing up I hate...
Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:10
96ram is on a distinguished road

Haven't been on for a minute, kinda forgot about this post. Thanks for the responses. I will have to look into some of those ideas. Maybe a good ol' tune up is just what the doctor ordered for my truck. That might liven her up a bit