DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Hemi Oil Filter

8K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  mriboy 
#1 ·
Hey guys came out from the store and notcied and small puddle of oil under the truck. So i crawled under and found the oil filter leaking. took it to dodge and the tech said that all the Hemi's filters come loose after an oil change. Anyone else have this problem or was the guy limp wristed that installed my last filter. Thanks:LOL:

#23 · (Edited)
Same happened to me my last oil change from the dealer but it came lose enough to start leaking around 1,ooo miles after it was changed. Saw a puddle in the drive way and crawled under and the filter was real lose tighten it and the next day was lose again. Took it to dealer said was a faulty filter and did a free oil change. The Amount that was leaking out it just happened otherwise i would have been out of oil in a week or so.

#5 ·
"took it to dodge and the tech said that all the Hemi's filters come loose after an oil change."

You should have asked him for his address so you could park your truck in his garage/driveway every night if thats the case

That has to bee the all time most stupid response i have ever heard come out of a techs mouth

#7 ·
I would ask him to repeat that statement so that when I quote him to the service manager I got it right.

#15 ·
Amen Brother!

The tech was an idiot who didn't want to take the time to provide proper customer service, and didn't want to admit that someone where he works did not know how to properly install an oil filter.

Exco

#14 ·
I only allowed the dealer to change my oil on the 1st change as I figured the factory tightened filter would be a b_ to remove. Plus, it was only $9.95, and they flashed the computer with a firmware update. They did good work, no drips or over/under tightened filter.

My only complaint was I was the third guy in line on a Saturday morning, and it still took them 3 hours to finish my truck.

Darin

#19 ·
Oddly enough, I did my first oil change and the filter was coated in oil, couldn't figure out why. The filter was on way too tight, maybe something to do with that. See what happens with the non-mopar I used.

#21 ·
About the worst part of the oil change is the inevitable drips of oil coming from the oil filter housing when you remove the old filter. Have to spend a few mins with a paper towel wiping off the various frame pieces that get coated in oil.

In addition, I wear surgical gloves when changing the oil to minimize the cleanup afterwards.

Darin

#22 ·
... and the tech said that all the Hemi's filters come loose after an oil change.
I don't think the kids at Jiffy Lube would even try that line...

Changing the oil on these trucks couldn't be easier, and by doing it yourself you'll -

know the oil was changed
know the drain plug wasn't stripped
know the oil filter is tight
know the correct (and preferred) oil is used

plus it gives you a chance to look around and make sure nothing else is leaking, coming loose, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.