DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express 4X4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:304
h2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the rough
Default First Tow with New Ram

I've had a buddy living in my trailer since Christmas so I never have had a chance to hook up my trailer and haul it until now. My hitch and wd were all set up for my Chevy 2500HD. I was all prepared to make a lot of changes to get it dialed in especially since I have the leveler on the Ram. Now mind you that I am running the Air Lift 1000's on the Ram but as you can plainly see there is no sag at all in the rig. The trailer is 5500# dry.

I pulled it around town and up the biggest hills we have here. There was no porposing and so there was simply no need to change a thing. Of course it has gobs more power than the Chevy so I would have to say I'm at least one up on the old rig after worrying all this time whether I had made the right decision going with a 1500. That's pretty satisfying.
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Same results with my trailer which is about the same weight as yours. I'm not even using a WDH. The Airlift bags and sway control bar have been more than adequate. My truck sat just fine without adding additional air from 5psi in the bags, but I went ahead an put in about 20psi just to stiffen it up a hair for rollers you occasionally encounter on the secondary roads or an emegency situation where the softer rear might cause an issue. Yeah, on the power, this truck pulls the trailer ridiculously easy and without a bunch of hunting-and-pecking in the tranny shifting.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Lone Star
Color: Sagebrush
Rep:-5
jgos929 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Same results with my trailer which is about the same weight as yours. I'm not even using a WDH. The Airlift bags and sway control bar have been more than adequate. My truck sat just fine without adding additional air from 5psi in the bags, but I went ahead an put in about 20psi just to stiffen it up a hair for rollers you occasionally encounter on the secondary roads or an emegency situation where the softer rear might cause an issue. Yeah, on the power, this truck pulls the trailer ridiculously easy and without a bunch of hunting-and-pecking in the tranny shifting.
What do you consider sitting "just fine". I have Airlift bags in mine and just acquired a 30' travel trailer that has a curb weight of #4800 with a #650 hitch weight. I filled them to 35psi and still had 2 + inches of sag. I would love to see what yours looks like with a #5500 trailer hitched up and only 5psi in the bags.

The bags are meant to be filled to 35psi when you got a heavy load so why not do it?

With a trailer #5000 and up you definitely need a WD hitch or your gonna hurt your truck in the long run.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Express 5.7L 4x4
Trim Level: EXPRESS
Color: FLAME RED
Rep:27
letsjet is on a distinguished road

A WD hitch is a huge safety advantage, not to mention all the other benefits. I will use a WD hitch when ever possible.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
What do you consider sitting "just fine". I have Airlift bags in mine and just acquired a 30' travel trailer that has a curb weight of #4800 with a #650 hitch weight. I filled them to 35psi and still had 2 + inches of sag. I would love to see what yours looks like with a #5500 trailer hitched up and only 5psi in the bags.

The bags are meant to be filled to 35psi when you got a heavy load so why not do it?

With a trailer #5000 and up you definitely need a WD hitch or your gonna hurt your truck in the long run.
I'll be leaving on a trip this Friday with the trailer, so I'll take a shot of the truck with the minimum 5psi for comparison. On the lack of a WDH, I pulled this and an almost exact trailer with my full size GMC 1/2 ton Jimmy for about 23 years with just airbags and a swaybar control...original differential, two sets of new u-joints, original bushings and front end parts, no frame or suspension problems...all on a 300,000 mile vehicle when it was all said and done. A neighbor now owns that Jimmy since last December, so I still see the vehicle frequently. Are you saying this Dodge isn't up to towing the same trailer without a WDH without damage? I find that hard to believe. And if it turns out it is, then I guess I'll go back to a GM truck...LOL!

But seriously, I'd agree that a WDH is best when it's required in those instances. Mine doesn't need it, and I see no reason to run one. As to running airbags at maximum pressure, I don't see the logic in that. That's the beauty of full air suspension or even just air assist. I've had a lot of vehicles equipped with one or the other ranging from street vehicles, to motorcycles, and even mountainbikes. I never ran any of them at full maximum pressure even with a load. Maximum psi ratings are usually there for the worst case scenario. I would disagree with your statement that the bags are meant to be filled to 35psi. If you indeed need the 35 psi in the air bags, then I'd say your setup is definitely in need of a WDH. One other variable in my setup compared to yours or others, I can't say with absolute certainty what my tongue weight is. It may not be at the same level as yours. And even if my truck would pull my trailer without the air bags, I like the security of the bags to inhibit porpoising or rocking in certain conditions. I'm certainly not bad-mouthing WDH's, but you don't always need one.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Titan LE
Rep:10
BayouTiger is on a distinguished road

I pulled my Challenger with the new Ram yesterday for the first time and it droops a lot more than my Titan did, bu I have the car a couple inches farther up than normal. I'm going to move it back a little for today's leg. It drove fine, just don't like the sag. Looks like I need the bags as even the empty trailer brought the truck down a bit.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post

Here's the pic with the trailer attached with 5 psi in the Airlift bags. I've pulled the trailer near home just to test how much pressure I should run, and the truck felt just fine without any weird handling issues. As I said in another post here, I went to 20 psi to insure no porpoising or bobbing while hitting bumps or dips. 20 psi adds another inch to the rear height from this pic, but more importantly it doesn't let the rear suspension compress aggessively which would then allow a possible strong rebound. I just completed a little over a 1000 mile trip this past week, and the truck and trailer performed excellently and handled really well. I was in the hill country of Texas on lots of secondary roads with low water crossings and sharp corners. The airbags alone did a great job of keeping both truck and trailer in full control.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ram & Trailer.JPG (117.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-21-2012, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express 4X4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:304
h2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Here's the pic with the trailer attached with 5 psi in the Airlift bags. I've pulled the trailer near home just to test how much pressure I should run, and the truck felt just fine without any weird handling issues. As I said in another post here, I went to 20 psi to insure no porpoising or bobbing while hitting bumps or dips. 20 psi adds another inch to the rear height from this pic, but more importantly it doesn't let the rear suspension compress aggessively which would then allow a possible strong rebound. I just completed a little over a 1000 mile trip this past week, and the truck and trailer performed excellently and handled really well. I was in the hill country of Texas on lots of secondary roads with low water crossings and sharp corners. The airbags alone did a great job of keeping both truck and trailer in full control.
That is good to hear. Peace of mind.