DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
STERLING RAM 82 is on a distinguished road
Default Mopar bed rails and trifold tonneau covers FYI

Hey guys...not sure if any of you happen to have the factory Mopar bed rails and are looking to install a folding hard cover like the Bakflip or an Undercover product, but I thought I would provide some "heads up" info. If you opted for the factory Mopar bed rails, these covers will not fit. I really like the Mopar bed rails and had them thrown in when I first purchased my Ram. Afterwards, I wanted to install a Bakflip F1. Unfortunately; due to the size of the hard plastic insert that hides the pocket where the bed rail connects, the tonneau covers weather proofing seal does not have the space provided to lay flat. This is not helped due to the way the sides taper to the tailgate on the truck. You are supposed to have 1/2" of space between the edge of the bed and the pocket. Due to Mopars factory insert cover, you will only be left with about 1/8" space. Technically you could trim the seal to fit, but that kinda defeats the weather tight seal. Since I don't want a soft cover, I will be switching out my bed rails to some Putco ones and installing an Undercover brand trifold hard cover. Maybe some of you have found a way around this but it is definately something to consider if you want bed rails and a trifold type hard over. That said, if you only want bed rails, I am going to be selling mine. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will snap a pic of them if you want to see.
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Hiker Guy is on a distinguished road

Don't give up quite yet. I have a Bak Flip F1, and also wanted bed rails. I ended up with the Putco Boss Lockers, which have a larger diameter tube.

I was concerned about the fit as well, but decided I would trim as necessary. However, once I got the bed rails in place, they actually fit with no trimming. Barely, but it fit.

You will see that the hard plastic cover of the insert hiding the front pocket can be cut slightly to the outside, and give your bed rail just enough room for an anchor.

One thing that may have made it easier is that I did not like the Putco anchors for the bed rails, and obtained a set of anchors from Dodge that fit a 2500. These worked quite well, and provide a solid connection as opposed to expandable rubber generic plugs.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

So to confirm...
the Mopar will not fit with a Bakflip F1 but will with the Putco's?
Im considering bed rails also.
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly View Post
So to confirm...
the Mopar will not fit with a Bakflip F1 but will with the Putco's?
Im considering bed rails also.
It seems like it. I know I can't fit it with the Mopar ones. I am actually just about to try the install with the Putco bedrails and the Undercover Flex. I will post the out outcome once I get done. If the Undercover Flex works with the Putco bars then you wouldn't have an issue with the Bakflip as they are basically the same cover (Bakflip is owned by Undercover).
Old 04-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERLING RAM 82 View Post
It seems like it. I know I can't fit it with the Mopar ones. I am actually just about to try the install with the Putco bedrails and the Undercover Flex. I will post the out outcome once I get done. If the Undercover Flex works with the Putco bars then you wouldn't have an issue with the Bakflip as they are basically the same cover (Bakflip is owned by Undercover).
OK!
Let me know if you are still wanting to sell your Mopar Rails.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 PM

Ok I got everything on and fit down! I am very happy with the results of the Undercover Flex cover. Yes, I will be selling the Mopar bed rails. I can post a picture of them if you like. I think I should have a pic of them on my truck. I really liked them and would rather not have had to switch but it is what it is. Let me know.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERLING RAM 82 View Post
Ok I got everything on and fit down! I am very happy with the results of the Undercover Flex cover. Yes, I will be selling the Mopar bed rails. I can post a picture of them if you like. I think I should have a pic of them on my truck. I really liked them and would rather not have had to switch but it is what it is. Let me know.
Would the Mopar possibly work with the F1 cover?
I read above that the Putco is thicker than the Mopar and your cover is the same or similar to the F1
Old 04-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly View Post
Would the Mopar possibly work with the F1 cover?
I read above that the Putco is thicker than the Mopar and your cover is the same or similar to the F1
The Mopar rails are bigger than the Putco rails except for the type that Hiker Guy purchased. He got the Putco Boss rails which are pretty big rails. If he was able to get his Bakflip to fit with the Boss rails, then it would stand to reason that you could fit the Bakflip with the Mopar ones as well. I can't imagine that he got his covers rubber strip to lie flat though. I would have to see a picture of his setup to be sure but I think that the rubber strip is probably lifted up onto the bar a bit. This would really be a big deal but I am pretty anal about that and wanted mine to lay as flat as possible. Mine still touches the rail but it should shrink a bit overthe next month. If I still wanted to trim it at that time I could. I will take some pics sometime today when I get a chance so you can get a better understanding of what I am talking about.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker Guy View Post
Don't give up quite yet. I have a Bak Flip F1, and also wanted bed rails. I ended up with the Putco Boss Lockers, which have a larger diameter tube.

I was concerned about the fit as well, but decided I would trim as necessary. However, once I got the bed rails in place, they actually fit with no trimming. Barely, but it fit.

You will see that the hard plastic cover of the insert hiding the front pocket can be cut slightly to the outside, and give your bed rail just enough room for an anchor.

One thing that may have made it easier is that I did not like the Putco anchors for the bed rails, and obtained a set of anchors from Dodge that fit a 2500. These worked quite well, and provide a solid connection as opposed to expandable rubber generic plugs.
Hiker Guy,

Do you have a pic that you could post of the fit near the rear side of the bedrail so that we can see how yours fit. I will post a pic of mine so fastNugly can get a comparison between the two setups.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500slt
Trim Level: slt
Color: blue
Rep:11
jagman1995 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to jagman1995

Hey do you have any pictures of your rails. I might be interested.