DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMROD5 View Post
why would you ever use 4 low to get unstuck? unless your towing 7000 lbs and are in the mud you would never need 4 low, i towed all over the place, rain snow ice etc, went wheelin in my 02 ram, never needed anything but 4 hi. i put it in 4 low once when i got the truck in three years just to make sure it worked, unless you are beatin the living piss out of your truck, or dragging a house, or climbing a mountainside, i never ever used 4 lo.
I guess "climbing a mountainside" would be one of the reasons I use 4 Low often. U need the torque to keep traction and to get yourself through a steep/tight area without spinning and sliding into a tree or off rock face etc. If I engaged 4 high I'd have to stomp on the gas, upping the rpm too much and be stuck or worse. 4 high works well in some areas I get into, but not all. When I am carrying a heavy load in the bed (usually a full 110-300 gallon water tank & tools), high 4WD WILL NOT DO IT. U can't just gas it and go or U will be very stuck, broke down, into a tree, or upside down. Not many people can afford to be like Tim Cameron (look him up on youtube) with their trucks!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:46 PM

ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1 View Post
So does this mean if you get stuck and need 4low to get out it likely won't engage?
No, being in the right "gear" before U get into trouble is the wise thing to do to prevent this. If U need to shift into 4WD low, sometimes it's a waiting game to engage but so far so good. Like I said, it can be a PITA. I'm still used to a manual trans, manual locking front hubs, and a 4X4 lever to put it into 4wd. I gotta be more patient with this new technology!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tison1200 View Post
I've only ever had to use 4-low once, and really the only reason I had to use it was because it FULLY disabled the traction control. I was stuck in snow that was upto the top of the bumper and my front tires were off the ground.

If you happen to get stuck 9 times out of 10 4-high will get you unstuck. just remember to hit the traction control button on the dash after putting it in 4-high otherwise the traction control will cut power from the wheels that are spinning.
If u only used 4wd low once, chances are u probly don't really need a 4wd truck. One of the many reasons I bought a 2500 is...NO TRACTION CONTROL B.S.! It's got ABS but I can deal with that. I hate "traction control"!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black on Black
Rep:47
gusman is on a distinguished road

pulling stumps requires 4low haha. I noticed mine had a hell of a time going in and out of 4low sometimes Id put it in d and let off the brake and she'd click in. 4hi felt like I was burnin up the torque converter a little too much, 4 low was ideal
Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: express
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:10
tison1200 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunnerseoinc View Post
If u only used 4wd low once, chances are u probly don't really need a 4wd truck. One of the many reasons I bought a 2500 is...NO TRACTION CONTROL B.S.! It's got ABS but I can deal with that. I hate "traction control"!
Lets see I live in MN where we get snow and ice and I drive 75 miles round trip to get to and from work. I go fishing and hunting, I have a '65 dart that I have to trailer once in awhile. I own my own home which means I have landscaping and other things that requires me to "haul" stuff. I'm 6'4" and 300lbs and I hate sitting in the back seat of cars while im sitting in the drivers seat just to be somewhat comfortable. and lastly ITS MY MONEY I CAN SPEND IT AS I SEE FIT.

I said I've only used 4wd LOW ONCE that doesnt mean I never use 4wd HIGH. Not everyone uses a full size truck to rock crawl. Infact if I was ever to get into that sport I'd buy a CJ
Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tison1200 View Post
Lets see I live in MN where we get snow and ice and I drive 75 miles round trip to get to and from work. I go fishing and hunting, I have a '65 dart that I have to trailer once in awhile. I own my own home which means I have landscaping and other things that requires me to "haul" stuff. I'm 6'4" and 300lbs and I hate sitting in the back seat of cars while im sitting in the drivers seat just to be somewhat comfortable. and lastly ITS MY MONEY I CAN SPEND IT AS I SEE FIT.

I said I've only used 4wd LOW ONCE that doesnt mean I never use 4wd HIGH. Not everyone uses a full size truck to rock crawl. Infact if I was ever to get into that sport I'd buy a CJ
Never said you couldn't buy whatever U wanted, just said U might not really need it. I've driven a manual shift, S10 extended cab, 2wd in NY/ Finger Lakes region for many yrs. without much of an issue. 75 miles to work everyday and I'm assuming U don't have to off road to work so I'm sure they are mostly hwy miles so no problems there. If U need the extra security of a 4X4 in your daily driver, great. The op was asking about people who USE Low 4wd in their truck. I do, a lot. BTW, I'd love a CJ and yes, I am crazy lol.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:86
SnoopyIsMyHero will become famous soon enough

You live in MN with snow and ice and never used 4lo? Do you live in the flatlands? I grew up in northern NH in the Great North Woods and White Mountains. There are some places you want\need to go, such as a 45% grade on an unplowed road when too much wheel spin means meeting a tree but not enough torque won't get you rolling. 4lo isn't something new created for rock crawling. It actually does have practical uses.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyIsMyHero View Post
You live in MN with snow and ice and never used 4lo? Do you live in the flatlands? I grew up in northern NH in the Great North Woods and White Mountains. There are some places you want\need to go, such as a 45% grade on an unplowed road when too much wheel spin means meeting a tree but not enough torque won't get you rolling. 4lo isn't something new created for rock crawling. It actually does have practical uses.
Like I said I used it once after an 18" snowstorm in which I was playing around. I went off into an area where the plow trucks had pushed the snow so on top of the 18" of snow we had there was also snow pushed up by the plows so it was compacted as well. Hit it in 4-high but had forgot to turn off the traction control after we got done eating. Needless to say I hit the snow and it was like the engine went to a dead idle.

As far as hills MN doesnt have many its a pretty flat state until you get up by Duluth. The big thing with MN is that in certain places the wind will blow snow drifts higher than a 2-story house. I will see if I can find some pictures of what I'm talking about.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 PM

Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 AM

U need a snowmobile in stuff like that!