DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
HeyBrownDog is on a distinguished road

My 2011 been that way since day one. I too have the Sport package, and at first I thought it was something about the slightly different sport exhaust I remember reading somewhere, but this appears to be common on the Ram. Chrysler's position is that this is normal part of the truck, but I've never had a vehicle do this.

I can feel it on the gas pedal, and the steering wheel. Highway vibration through my steering wheel is quiet annoying. Luckily so much more I love about my truck that I've put up with it, and pray that enough people complain which forces Chrysler to do something.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:42 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:57
Rambunkshuss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyBrownDog View Post
My 2011 been that way since day one. I too have the Sport package, and at first I thought it was something about the slightly different sport exhaust I remember reading somewhere, but this appears to be common on the Ram. Chrysler's position is that this is normal part of the truck, but I've never had a vehicle do this.

I can feel it on the gas pedal, and the steering wheel. Highway vibration through my steering wheel is quiet annoying. Luckily so much more I love about my truck that I've put up with it, and pray that enough people complain which forces Chrysler to do something.
Chrysler will never do anything about it, they have gotten away with it by saying its "as per design". Too bad they take this kind of an attitude by avoiding fixing the problem. Instead, they would rather people just forget about it, and the ones that dont, wont buy another dodge product because they know they wont be taken care of. Its not a hard fix either, it requires a fluid crank dampener and a few vibration dampeners attatched to the exhaust system. I know it fix`s the problem because thats what i did to fix mine. Have also done a few other trucks here that had this MDS vibe issue, those no longer have MDS vibes. Is it an expensive fix, yes. But i dont think it would cost chrysler much to actually fix it the same way i have, but dont hold your hand on your azz waitin for them to do anything about it... they wont. I myself have bought my very last dodge product. Their dealerships are worthless, their service after the sale is also worthless. I`ve NEVER been this disappointed in a vehicle and its service. I`ve been to several different dealerships and they`re all about the same...clueless. Its a shame that the owners know more about the vehicle than the dealers do. And chrysler/dodge wonders why they are in last place out of the big 3. Personally, i dont think they really care because they can get a tax payer bailout anytime they want. Sorry to ramble and rant, i`m just disappointed for what i paid for and the service is just the absolute worst.

Last edited by Rambunkshuss; 02-15-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Ram Crew Cab
Rep:10
IBeCarl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to IBeCarl

4wd could feel it more and 2wd it was not as much. Sorry for the delay the dealership still have my truck so I haven't got a chance to give you the updat yet.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:81
1500ram12 will become famous soon enough

I have it in the gas pedal and one thing I've done so far is add 3/8" rubber spacers between the pedal and the bracket that comes off the firewall. I don't remember off hand if the bracket unbolts but if it does ill be adding some to that as well. the rubber helps dampen the vibration.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Ram Crew Cab
IBeCarl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to IBeCarl

Soo finally got the truck back today and the mechanic who looked at the truck said he drove around for half an hour and barely felt the vibration/ tingle. He says its nothing to worry about. Don't agree with him but really don't have much i could say until i find someone who went there with same issue. Asked them if they heard anything about this issue before with any other 2011/2012 Rams and they said i was the first one.

Last edited by IBeCarl; 02-22-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
gcgrimes is on a distinguished road

Hello all.
I am also having the vibration through the gas pedal. After reading many forums, I am convinced there are three types of vibrations different folks are getting through the gas pedal. First, some people feel the road vibration through the tires. Second, some people are getting a vibration/shimmy when at low RPM and the truck is in MDS mode and trying to switch from four cylinder to eight cylinder. I get both of those and those don’t bother me at all, I believe they are quite normal. The third vibration is when the engine hits about 2000 RPM’s it causes a vibration through the pedal and steering wheel that feels like an electric shaver. That third vibration is making me absolutely hate my new 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn when I drive it on the freeway, because it cruises right at 2000 RPM, the range where the vibration occurs. I have had the truck to the dealer a number of times and they say they can’t feel it. Funny, because the Ken Towery mechanics and my friends can all feel it and say it isn’t “normal”. I have also owned a Jeep Truck, a Ford F-150, and Chevrolet Blazer, and numerous other cars and have never had this happen. I have read many Dodge forums and have not yet seen anybody that has a real solution or received a real solution from Dodge/Ram. If you are having the third issue, vibration through the gas pedal at certain RPM’s, give me an e-mail at gcgrimes@insightbb.com. If I can get enough people having the same problem, maybe we can force the dealer/manufacturer to deal with it. Thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:25
shadango is on a distinguished road

I dont mean this as an attack on anyone in particular,but more a general comment.

"tingle in accelerator pedal"......seriously?

This Ram is the smoothest riding, quietest TRUCK I have ever driven. Actually, it is smoother and quieter than most CARS I have owned.

Has anyone who has these problems ever bought an older pickup or SUV? I dont mean 2010...I mean like a 79 Trailduster or GMC Jimmy or a 77 Ford F150 pickup? Drive one of those and then drive your Ram and report back....LOL

My God.....the 2012 Ram is so far advanced in comfort and smoothness its like night and day.....

Of course, I also drive a 72 Plymouth Barracuda that is hopped up with a cam and headers and duals and a stiff suspension, so it has plenty of vibrations and sounds when I am driving....LOL...maybe that is why I think the Ram is so quiet and smooth.

Has anyone actually stopped to think that some of these "issues" --- tingling in accelerator, alleged torque converter noise etc -- may just be NORMAL and not signs that something is about to let go? Especially when people have these complaints after just barely 1,000 miles.....it just makes me feel like these are normal things. After all, it is STILL a mechanical machine and machines DO make noises and vibrations.

Perhaps we feel these relatively minor sensations now because so much of the road noise and harshness that we experienced in older , less refined vehciles is now gone, allowing those things to come through?

I just dont understand how people buy a PICKUP TRUCK and then expect it to be as smooth and perfect as a Rolls Royce.

I am not saying you cant dislike a particular sound or sensation, but saying it is a major fault????
Ok, I am wearing my flamesuit.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
slstill is on a distinguished road

"Perhaps we feel these relatively minor sensations now because so much of the road noise and harshness that we experienced in older , less refined vehciles is now gone, allowing those things to come through?"

That's my theory too, Shadango. I freaked a little bit the first time I felt it. Then I didn't feel it so bad the next time. Then, it was back the next time. Finally dawned on me that the type of shoes I was wearing was proportional to how much vibration I was feeling. Tennis shoes, not so much. Sunday-go-to-meetin' hard sole shoes, lots of "tingles".

Now I hardly notice it. That is, until this thread reminded me of it. Thanks for that, by the way....
Old 04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Color: Deep Cherry Red
gcgrimes is on a distinguished road

Shadango:

Like i said in my post, i have owned an F-150, a Jeep Commanche, a Jeep Wrangler, a chevrolet blazer, etc. Just because you don't have the problem doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. ALL of my other trucks operated better than this brand new 2012 Ram 1500, that is why I am pissed off about these vibrations, noises, and sputters. I won't accept substandard quality and apparently others won't either.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Longhorn ~V~
Color: White
Rep:31
2012Longhorn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeCarl View Post
Just bought a new Ram 1500 last week and since then, i have been feeling a slight vibration/tickle on my foot as i step on the accelerator pedal. Can feel it all the way from stop as it shifts through all the gears until coasting at same speed but as soon as you step on gas a little you start to feel it. Not the whole truck vibrates just the pedal. Only 1000 Km so far and was just curious if its because of break in period or something to be concerned.

Sorry if someone has covered this problem.
I had the same problem in my 3rd Gen with the 4.7 engine. Drove me nuts. Don't feel it in my new truck. I do have the adjustable pedals though.

My new truck did vibrate a little at idle where you could see the passenger seat and antenna shake, but it's gotten better.

Last edited by 2012Longhorn; 04-25-2012 at 04:28 PM.