DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Fuel System

Notices

Fuel System All Fuel Discussions. MPG - Mileage - Fuel System Maintenance including Air Filter Replacement.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1999-2001 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 230hp 450lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:10
fclayton3639 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel mileage

I'm new to this forum, but not to diesel trucks. Currently own my second DuraMax but thinking of a new '09 or '10 Dodge diesel. Two questions: First, I only use my 4x4 for hunting and towing a 28' travel trailer, often for great distances. What real world fuel mileage can I expect? Should I opt for the current model or wait for the '10s? Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '08 Caliber & '09 Nitro
Trim Level: SXT CRD 2.0 / 2.8
Color: Stone White / Brilliant Black
Rep:426
LYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really nice

Welcome to the ForumZ ! Glad you joined us
Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I'm sure that someone will soon. Enjoy the board!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:32 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:3944
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome!

We are glad to have you here! I also don't have an answer for you but there are plenty of others here who can help you! I hope you enjoy the board!

Like what you see? Support this fine site!

Go here for great how-to's and make sure you know the rules!

Make sure you show off your Ram by posting pics in the GALLERY!!

L.O.B.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:04 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Welcome to the Z for Rams from Baltimore . Enjoy the Site .
Old 09-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Vehicle: Chrysler 300
Trim Level: Touring
Color: Satin Jade Metallic
Rep:317
300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the best Dodge Ram Owners Club Forum on the net! Glad you joined our growing family of enthusiast! Enjoy the site!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:48 PM
erm

Welcome to the forum. Obviously, how you drive and the conditions you drive in all have a bearing on your mileage. I could not find an EPA mileage rating for the Cummins on the Dodge truck website but I believe that rating has to be printed on the sales sticker. A few phone calls to a GM/Ford/Dodge dealer with the question would certainly help.

Most folks compare features in combination. They rate the mechanical ratings, fun to drive factor, appearance, options and features, mileage, service costs and intervals, etc...and rank them according to what's most important.

So, good luck with your selection. I've owned both GM and Dodge diesels in the past. The new Dodge truck interiors have caught up with, and past, the GM offerings as of late which would tip my selection towards the Dodge, IMHO.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:03 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to RamForumZ!!! Is there anything else you are wanting to do with the truck? I think you would be very surprised to find the Dodge's are ahead of their game regarding Diesel technology. They are meeting EPA requirements years in advance before the mandated times. The Dodge always get a nod thoughby having the pull power and still retaining quite a bit of fuel mileage. The difficult part about answering this question is the 2010 model Ram is supposed to include new versions of the Cummins motor. So the mileage could be affected just a bit compared to the 2009 model. I assume Quad Cab is a must? Are you considering the regular 2500 or the dually 3500?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1999-2001 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 230hp 450lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:10
fclayton3639 is on a distinguished road
Default fuel mileage

Thanks for replies. I'd only be considering the 2500. I consistently drive the speed limit. While towing my RV I usually average 60-65, even when the limit is 70-75, as I'm comfortable at my speed. It doesn't matter to me if I buy the '09 or the '10; model year doesn't matter, out of pocket costs does. Now, what can I expect with a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel?