DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Have you experienced the torque converter problem?
Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed. 191 32.48%
No, I have not noticed this problem. 285 48.47%
I can't determine for sure if I have this problem. 112 19.05%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Rep:10
wilky70 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
I think it means you need to take it back to the dealer!

How bad is the fluid leakage? Sometimes this might just be some residual oil from when they did the replacement. So if it's just a few drops, I would wait a few days and see if it continues or quits.

As for the shuddering, I don't know what would cause that (or how a cut impeller hub seal would cause it), so if that continues, have the dealer check it with a scan tool to see what's going on.

Did they replace just the converter, or did they replace anything else?
Took my truck back to the dealership last week. The service manager drove it and felt the shutter when the truck went into MDS. He said it was a major shutter or vibration. Booked it in for Monday morning to have the leak checked and fix the shutter.
I called today to check the status of the truck. They told me that they took the inspection cover off and cleaned out all the residual trans fluid. It has now stopped dripping. Now they are telling me the shutter is caused by the MDS and there is nothing that can be done about it. When I pointed out that it didn't shutter before the converter was replaced they told me that it gets worse as the truck gets older and that I should just drive it in 5th. This is a truck that is 9 months old and has 5000 miles on it. Is that old for Dodge???
Before I trade this truck and lose thousands of $ do you think a good quality aftermarket converter would fix the shutter? At this point I was better off with the noisey converter.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
dracowing14 is on a distinguished road

I've got a 2011 ram big horn and I've had a noise coming from somewhere, not to sure exactly. it sounds like a either a grinding or one of those old industrial warehouse bells going off when i accelerate. i cna get the noise to happen all of the time, but when i take it to the techs they never rev it enough to get the sound. or they tell me it is a the exhaust resonating. i get it when the engine revs higher. like 2500 to 3500 rpms. at any speed. the dealership tells me that the sound isn't loud enough nor constant enough for them to do anything about it and they wont look into it. even if it is the damn muffler resonating my step dads truck doesn't do that so why wont they fix the problem even if the have to replace the muffler under warranty it is a new truck after all. so do you guys think this coudl be the torque converter or doe sit sound like it could be the muffler. I did mention thta torque converetr to them and they just said. O no we know about that problem and we are sure you don't have that. before they even test drove the truck.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:71
wbowyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracowing14 View Post
I've got a 2011 ram big horn and I've had a noise coming from somewhere, not to sure exactly. it sounds like a either a grinding or one of those old industrial warehouse bells going off when i accelerate. i cna get the noise to happen all of the time, but when i take it to the techs they never rev it enough to get the sound. or they tell me it is a the exhaust resonating. i get it when the engine revs higher. like 2500 to 3500 rpms. at any speed. the dealership tells me that the sound isn't loud enough nor constant enough for them to do anything about it and they wont look into it. even if it is the damn muffler resonating my step dads truck doesn't do that so why wont they fix the problem even if the have to replace the muffler under warranty it is a new truck after all. so do you guys think this coudl be the torque converter or doe sit sound like it could be the muffler. I did mention thta torque converetr to them and they just said. O no we know about that problem and we are sure you don't have that. before they even test drove the truck.
The tech claimed "my heat shield could be vibrating causing the noise" until I brought up the "star" case and called him on the heat shield, since it happened at the same rpm no matter the speed. After speaking with the service manager I was able to get them to upgrade me to an RT torque converter because the tech was being difficult. You are correct, the exhaust is under warranty as well (as long as it is stock) so have them check the exhaust and see what happens. If it eliminates the noise then great, if not then its on to the next step.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge ram 1500 Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Sea Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:156
TORMENTOR has a spectacular aura aboutTORMENTOR has a spectacular aura about

We should almost move this thread to the general section since it seems to effect more then just the 2011 models. Some people might be missing this poll
Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:29
dracowing14 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=wbowyer;788404] (as long as it is stock) ye sthe exhaust is still stock on my truck and the service manager was the one that told me they weren't going to even look into it cause it wasn't a big enough problem to warrant there time. what is the "STAR" case. i'm currently going to another dealership to get a second road test opinion.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 AM

Vehicle: 2013 QC Bighorn Ram
Color: Max Steel
Rep:10
NumberCruncher is on a distinguished road

Has this been fixed for 2012?

I just settled my lemon law case against Ford for my 2011 F-150 transmission issue and will look at a Ram today. If the problem doesn't occur during a test drive, am I okay for the long haul or does this problem crop up later on?

NC
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:71
wbowyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberCruncher View Post
Has this been fixed for 2012?

I just settled my lemon law case against Ford for my 2011 F-150 transmission issue and will look at a Ram today. If the problem doesn't occur during a test drive, am I okay for the long haul or does this problem crop up later on?

NC
RAM is working on a "permanent fix" for the TC, as the issue is "the converter becoming unbalanced" which leads to the vibration. Once this "permanent fix" is completed there will be a general recall issued. While it seems that a lot of people on here have the issue, this forum is not a good sample. My company has the largest privately owned fleet of RAM pickups in the US. Over 6000 trucks, of which less than 100 were affected.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbowyer View Post
RAM is working on a "permanent fix" for the TC, as the issue is "the converter becoming unbalanced" which leads to the vibration. Once this "permanent fix" is completed there will be a general recall issued....
Let me correct a bit of misinformation. There already is a "permanent fix" for the T/C noise. That is the 2012 MY converter (which is a new design). So the 2012 models do not exhibit this issue.

The problem (with 2011s) is not unbalance; it is too much backlash in the spline between the TCC damper and the turbine hub. The spline backlash will naturally vary from part to part, due to manufacturing tolerances. Converters on the high end of backlash can exhibit the noise. Also, the backlash will tend to increase slightly as the spline gets worn in, so a brand new converter (with no noise) may start to make noise after a few thousand miles. But, the noise should not get worse, once the spline teeth are worn in, so I would not expect continued degradation.

The fix (for 2011 models) is a converter with a tighter (actually, slight press fit) turbine hub spline. The fix (for 2012 MY) is a new converter design which eliminates the spline altogether (it uses a riveted connection). We can't use the 2012 converters in 2011 vehicles, because they have a slightly different performance curve, so they are not certified (emissions-wise) for use in 2011 models.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Red
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
Let me correct a bit of misinformation. There already is a "permanent fix" for the T/C noise. That is the 2012 MY converter (which is a new design). So the 2012 models do not exhibit this issue.

The problem (with 2011s) is not unbalance; it is too much backlash in the spline between the TCC damper and the turbine hub. The spline backlash will naturally vary from part to part, due to manufacturing tolerances. Converters on the high end of backlash can exhibit the noise. Also, the backlash will tend to increase slightly as the spline gets worn in, so a brand new converter (with no noise) may start to make noise after a few thousand miles. But, the noise should not get worse, once the spline teeth are worn in, so I would not expect continued degradation.

The fix (for 2011 models) is a converter with a tighter (actually, slight press fit) turbine hub spline. The fix (for 2012 MY) is a new converter design which eliminates the spline altogether (it uses a riveted connection). We can't use the 2012 converters in 2011 vehicles, because they have a slightly different performance curve, so they are not certified (emissions-wise) for use in 2011 models.
Can you go further into detail about this? Is there a different tune in the 2012s than the 2011s cause of the new transmission tuning?
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28
Old 05-01-2012, 02:17 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by garner View Post
Can you go further into detail about this? Is there a different tune in the 2012s than the 2011s cause of the new transmission tuning?
No, I'm not talking about trans shift pattern or tuning. I'm talking about the actual, physical torque converter. The 2012 converter is a new design, and the internal blading inside the converter is different. Therefore, the 2012 converters have different stall torque ratios and K-factors (characteristic curves) than the 2011 converters. Since the converter performance (output torque, efficiency, etc.) is slightly different, we can't just bolt a 2012 converter into a 2011 truck. EPA would view this as a change in the emission and fuel economy characteristics, so we would have to re-certify the 2011 vehicle (with the 2012 converter) to verify that it still meets emission regulations.