DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Public Safety

Notices

Public Safety Special Interest Group for Police/Law Enforcement, Fire, and EMS Personnel! - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST w/SLT badge?
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
NickT is on a distinguished road
Default Time to start looking for a new job. Need advice.

Had a meeting with the Mayor today and he tells us that in 3-5 months we will no longer have a job. I am a 911 dispatcher, they are merging all of the communications centers in the county into 1. We knew this was going to happen but we were told it wouldnt happen for a year and a half.

So I am faced with a dilema. Lose all of my seniority and vacation time and start all over again in the same field and take a 10k per year pay cut. or start a new career path.

Who out there has moved on from public safety and went into a new line of work and what did you do? My problem is that I didnt go to college and dont have a degree, I found this job before going to college and assumed it would be a safe career path and couldnt justify the expense of college. WHOOPS!

I have made too much money working 3 jobs to even qualify for government assistance.

I am open to suggestions if anyone has them, thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2003 Ram SBRC
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
heminit is on a distinguished road

Just a thought, having experience dealing with people on the phone, do you have any air freight agents or local delivery companies in the area?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a Member of INPRS ?

Good Dispatchers & 911 Operators are hard to find, maybe you could transfer over to a similar job

http://www.in.gov/inprs/publicemployees.htm

I know that in my State, all 911 dispatchers for the the State of California are in one large Room with the Highway Patrol, Transportation Dept. & a few other Agencies dispatchers.
The Fire Depts, Parks & Recreation, the County dispatchers, all have their own facilities

i believe, Every one of the Employees come under our CAL-PERS, even Teachers
Transfers are done quite often between the branches, even Prison Employees
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Are you a Member of INPRS ?

Good Dispatchers & 911 Operators are hard to find, maybe you could transfer over to a similar job

http://www.in.gov/inprs/publicemployees.htm

I know that in my State, all 911 dispatchers for the the State of California are in one large Room with the Highway Patrol, Transportation Dept. & a few other Agencies dispatchers.
The Fire Depts, Parks & Recreation, the County dispatchers, all have their own facilities

i believe, Every one of the Employees come under our CAL-PERS, even Teachers
Transfers are done quite often between the branches, even Prison Employees
As a last resort I could do this but I got spoiled working in a center in a higher end community and am paid very well for it, we are the second highest paid dispatchers in the state. The other departments in the area dont even pay half of what we make. I knew this job was too good to be true. lol After 10 years of public safety I am thinking it is time for a change. If the job wasnt ending I would stick it out since I have already had so much time invested, but If I am going to have to start from scratch I might as well finding something new. I know I cant do this for another 20 years.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heminit View Post
Just a thought, having experience dealing with people on the phone, do you have any air freight agents or local delivery companies in the area?
I will have to look into this to see what all we have around the area. Thanks for the idea!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram
Trim Level: SL
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Tony I is on a distinguished road

We always need good dispatchers at my ambulance service, I'd say stay in your department that you are good at.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony I View Post
We always need good dispatchers at my ambulance service, I'd say stay in your department that you are good at.
I have kicked around the idea of maybe going to medic school, im thinking that would be a fun job! Just have issues dealing with puke.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Hello NickT and sorry to hear the bad news. The way the economy is going, I almost would say try the pay cut for a year and see if it could work. I wish that was the case for my last job. My boss decided to sell his business and it left all of us employees searching for new jobs.Tough times about a year ago when unemployment was high and rising. Hang in there man and good luck.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
DrumMedic is on a distinguished road

My advice would be to try other dispatch centers and push your experience ... maybe you can slide into a supervisory position somewhere.

Otherwise, I would probably shoot for a new career path. Unfortunately, as necessary as public safety is, there isn't a lot of money to be made in it, especially in my area. I am going on my 13th year in EMS and I am making the same money now as I did 5 years ago (different services). I dispatched before also, and the pay scale is all around the same. As a paramedic, I don't think I would re-do it if given the opportunity.

I was working 80+ hours a week at one point to be comfortable. Then I decided, enough is enough. I figured I could continue doing what I was doing, and maybe someday luck into a good job. Or, I could go to college and try to change my career. So ... in May of 2010 I started college at age 26. Now, in December (I'll be 29), I will graduate with my Bachelor's degree in Biology and will be starting medical school after that. Now, I know that without my EMS experience, it never would have led me down the path to want to be a doctor, so I guess I can't fault it entirely ... but I have learned that after 12+ years ... it is still the same old job. I will always have a passion for it, but it is just that ... a passion. It isn't a career ... IMO anyway.

Good luck in your decision. It certainly isn't an easy one.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Good luck.....I wish you all the best.....Please keep us updated on what path you decide.......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"