DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone


Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:04 PM
CJH's Avatar
CJH CJH is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fairborn, OH
Age: 48
Posts: 22
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: 4 x 2
Color: Charcoal
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
CJH is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone run E85 Flex Fuel in their Ram?

Has anyone put E85 Flex Fuel in their Ram?

I'm playing with the idea with the price of gas the way it is. It's 50 cents cheaper a gallon here in Ohio.

I've heard that the mileage and performance drops though and that in the long run you don't save a dime...

Just curious....

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,803
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJH View Post
Has anyone put E85 Flex Fuel in their Ram?

I'm playing with the idea with the price of gas the way it is. It's 50 cents cheaper a gallon here in Ohio.

I've heard that the mileage and performance drops though and that in the long run you don't save a dime...

Just curious....

Thanks
I was thinking about it but it' not a good idea especially since you have to modify the vehicle a bit.

Here are modifications that need to be done and it's expensive.
1. Need to change the fuel pump so it can handle Ethanol, Ethanol isn't die-electric like gasoline so if you put it in a vehicle that doesn't have a designed fuel system for ethanol then you risk igniting the gasoline.
2. You need to change the fuel lines to handle ethanol
3. The A/F ratio for ethanol is slightly higher then that of gasoline so you need to program the ECM for ethanol
4. You don't get better MPG so if you do the math the cost in terms of MPG and distance traveled is going to balance out. The implimentation of ethanol was to reduce emissions, not save money (damn government).

I personally was trying to find gasoline alternatives that are extremely cheap but so far I haven't come up with anything solid enough, I also would need to test it and put my life at risk doing it but hey if it costs 10 cents I'm wearing one of those lava suits :P
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 PM
bhepper bhepper is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huron, SD
Age: 32
Posts: 40
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
bhepper is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJH View Post
Has anyone put E85 Flex Fuel in their Ram?

I'm playing with the idea with the price of gas the way it is. It's 50 cents cheaper a gallon here in Ohio.

I've heard that the mileage and performance drops though and that in the long run you don't save a dime...

Just curious....

Thanks
It use to be that unless the E85 was $1 cheaper per gallon it wasn't worth it. Would assume that's still true but it might not be. Not sure if you would necessarily lose power with E85. There are some manufacturers that claim higher power numbers with E85.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,803
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhepper View Post
It use to be that unless the E85 was $1 cheaper per gallon it wasn't worth it. Would assume that's still true but it might not be. Not sure if you would necessarily lose power with E85. There are some manufacturers that claim higher power numbers with E85.
You would loose HP because of the evaporation of ethanol vs. gasoline also the energy potential and the A/F ratio, like said with ethanol you need a slightly higer A/F ratio. But unless the fuel system was designed for E85 I would advise against putting it in the tank even if it was cheaper and got better performance and MPG then gasoline.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Black1 Black1 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 101
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Black1 is on a distinguished road
Default

I've never seen E85 and wouldn't know where to get it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 AM
ArmyofOne's Avatar
ArmyofOne ArmyofOne is offline
US Army Retired


 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Van Alstyne, TX
Age: 29
Posts: 6,098
Gender: Male
Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 9
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
I was thinking about it but it' not a good idea especially since you have to modify the vehicle a bit.

Here are modifications that need to be done and it's expensive.
1. Need to change the fuel pump so it can handle Ethanol, Ethanol isn't die-electric like gasoline so if you put it in a vehicle that doesn't have a designed fuel system for ethanol then you risk igniting the gasoline.
2. You need to change the fuel lines to handle ethanol
3. The A/F ratio for ethanol is slightly higher then that of gasoline so you need to program the ECM for ethanol
4. You don't get better MPG so if you do the math the cost in terms of MPG and distance traveled is going to balance out. The implimentation of ethanol was to reduce emissions, not save money (damn government).

I personally was trying to find gasoline alternatives that are extremely cheap but so far I haven't come up with anything solid enough, I also would need to test it and put my life at risk doing it but hey if it costs 10 cents I'm wearing one of those lava suits :P
I run E85 regularly in the city in my 09. Anything 4.7 thats 08 or newer is factory equipped to run ethanol with no modifications.

I actually notice a slight power boost on E85. Truck drives differently. Its weird. 9-10mpg city isnt cool, but as long as city driving is all we are doing that week it doesn't really matter, not much difference between 9 and 14mpg, especially when you consider I have to fill up weekly, regardless, and the price is significantly cheaper where I am.
__________________
Diesel Technician-PACCAR Inc.
Cummins, PACCAR, CAT, International, Detroit, ASE Certified.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
1992 Fort Escort LX-Project TurboSleeper has commenced.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 AM
CJH's Avatar
CJH CJH is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fairborn, OH
Age: 48
Posts: 22
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: 4 x 2
Color: Charcoal
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
CJH is on a distinguished road
Default

My 2010 is equipped from the factory to run E85....

I might try it for a week...9-10 MPG though doesn't sound like a good investment....the majority of my driving is city driving.

Right now it is averaging $.50 per gallon cheaper...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 AM
RAMROD5's Avatar
RAMROD5 RAMROD5 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Age: 28
Posts: 120
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:13
RAMROD5 is on a distinguished road
Default

not much of a difference between 9 and 14 mpg? LOL interesting.
__________________
2006 Ram 3500 Dually, 5.7 hemi.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,803
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1 View Post
I've never seen E85 and wouldn't know where to get it.
I notice they sell it in the southern states mostly and in the mid west, anywhere they're going to grow corn just about. But the true implimentation of E85 was specificially for emissions not for economy or anything like that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,803
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
I run E85 regularly in the city in my 09. Anything 4.7 thats 08 or newer is factory equipped to run ethanol with no modifications.

I actually notice a slight power boost on E85. Truck drives differently. Its weird. 9-10mpg city isnt cool, but as long as city driving is all we are doing that week it doesn't really matter, not much difference between 9 and 14mpg, especially when you consider I have to fill up weekly, regardless, and the price is significantly cheaper where I am.
When I was speaking of modifications required that is if the vehicle isn't equipped for it, I am not aware of what models and years of dodge's are equipped.

Well anyways ethanol is ok nothing wrong with it but truely more energy potential in gasoline then ethanol also gasoline has a natural lubricative property which means the engine will last longer but that's why E85 is E85, 85% Ethanol and 15% Gasoline.

The real issue is the A/F because you need slightly more fuel with ethanol then you would gasoline. To be honest I would much rather prefer ethanol over gasoline in terms of price and supply but thing is oil companies are involved so the price will always be within the same range as gasoline. That and you always have your backyard geniuses.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum