DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
TheRileyFactor is on a distinguished road
Default Upcoming 4,500 Mile Drive

So I will soon be moving up to Alaska which will require quite the drive up from Illinois (also stopping by a few friends' places on the way as well). I will be driving the truck with a good amount of stuff in the bed and everything, but I was wondering about if there was anything y'all would suggest to maximize my mileage during this longass drive? I can usually get around 20-21mpg on the HWY, but even a 1mpg improvement can make a helluva difference over this long of a distance (21mpg v. 20mpg would save around 11 gallons of gas which would be around $50 (depending on how much gas is through Canada b/c I have no idea) over the course of the drive)... I know keeping my foot out of it and not flying down the hwy at 80mph will save me the most, but I'll take whatever small improvements I can get I would love a tuner if they would just freaking release one for the 2012's, but would there be any improvement with a CAI, K&N replacement filter, Vararam, etc.? I have a tri-fold tonneau that possibly makes a negligible difference, but mostly it keeps the stuff in my bed DRY and secure, which is why I bought it. I'd welcome any ideas, and everything helps to pitch the need for performance improvements to the wife!

Thanks!
Dan
Sponsored links
Old 04-22-2012, 02:22 PM

Lots of views and no responses... Guess no ideas then? I will be saving the leveling kit and new MT or AT tires for until I get up there... figure that'll help by NOT doing them, lol....
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: express
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:10
tison1200 is on a distinguished road

What part of Alaska are you moving to? I have nothing to add as far as the mileage goes but I have made that drive from Sioux Falls SD to Anchorage. I'm not sure if you have made that trip before or not but if not here are a few tips.

Depending on the time of year always keep the following with you:

1 a good sleeping bag
2 keep an extra FULL gas can with you
3 when you see an open gas station stop and top off the tank. It's hard telling when you will find the next open gas station.

When I went it was Fall in the lower 48 but when I got into the NW BC etc I hit snow and anchorage was covered in an inch of ice and 6-10" of snow. I made the trip in 3.5 days even after getting tied up at the border for 12 hours (forgot my birth cirtificate)

Enjoy the trip its beautiful once you get our in BC.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:28 PM

Ya, we'll be leaving here pretty soon so it should be summer-type weather, I hope! And ya, we were planning on carrying a couple of 5gal gas tanks in the bed of the truck for just-in-case uses... it seems some of the hotels we are staying in are 9 hours apart, and if gas stations are that far apart I doubt my 32gal tank would make it, lol! Thankfully we all have our passports, so the border shouldn't be a problem, especially since we're shipping my guns, lol! But we are headed up to Eielson AFB, so up in the Fairbanks area. Should be a great time! Planning on quite a bit of good hunting and fishing, which should be awesome. I might try to convince the wife that a good CAI would help with gas mileage, lol... I would definitely be able to sell the use of a programmer IF THEY FREAKING HAD ONE OUT!! lol, but I have a lot of plans for the truck once we get up there, but they're plans that would kill gas mileage so I'm doing them AFTER the long-ass drive!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRileyFactor View Post
So I will soon be moving up to Alaska which will require quite the drive up from Illinois (also stopping by a few friends' places on the way as well). I will be driving the truck with a good amount of stuff in the bed and everything, but I was wondering about if there was anything y'all would suggest to maximize my mileage during this longass drive? I can usually get around 20-21mpg on the HWY, but even a 1mpg improvement can make a helluva difference over this long of a distance (21mpg v. 20mpg would save around 11 gallons of gas which would be around $50 (depending on how much gas is through Canada b/c I have no idea) over the course of the drive)... I know keeping my foot out of it and not flying down the hwy at 80mph will save me the most, but I'll take whatever small improvements I can get I would love a tuner if they would just freaking release one for the 2012's, but would there be any improvement with a CAI, K&N replacement filter, Vararam, etc.? I have a tri-fold tonneau that possibly makes a negligible difference, but mostly it keeps the stuff in my bed DRY and secure, which is why I bought it. I'd welcome any ideas, and everything helps to pitch the need for performance improvements to the wife!

Thanks!
Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRileyFactor View Post
Ya, we'll be leaving here pretty soon so it should be summer-type weather, I hope! And ya, we were planning on carrying a couple of 5gal gas tanks in the bed of the truck for just-in-case uses... it seems some of the hotels we are staying in are 9 hours apart, and if gas stations are that far apart I doubt my 32gal tank would make it, lol! Thankfully we all have our passports, so the border shouldn't be a problem, especially since we're shipping my guns, lol! But we are headed up to Eielson AFB, so up in the Fairbanks area. Should be a great time! Planning on quite a bit of good hunting and fishing, which should be awesome. I might try to convince the wife that a good CAI would help with gas mileage, lol... I would definitely be able to sell the use of a programmer IF THEY FREAKING HAD ONE OUT!! lol, but I have a lot of plans for the truck once we get up there, but they're plans that would kill gas mileage so I'm doing them AFTER the long-ass drive!
OK, Having made this exact drive 5x in my life, I can tell you, its a lot of fun. If you want scenery, I highly recommend the trek through Alberta, as its full of all kinds of fun stuff!

As for driving the Al-Can, I drove it last in June 2003 when my folks moved from Anchorage AK (Elmendorf AFB actually) to Fort Worth, TX when my dad Retired. You will want:

-10 gallons extra fuel

-2 spare tires (at least)

-Camping gear, complete with 1 firearm, preferably .45 or larger (even if you
do not plan on camping, it may save your life if you have to camp somewhere!)

-Spare belts/hoses

-1 extra set of HL bulbs (rediculous fine in Canada if you get pulled for a headlight out)

-some kind of rock protection for your truck, be it a temporary screen that mounts to the front (the kind you put on a car being towed behind an RV) or whatever...the gravel sections will destroy your paint.

-Glass coverage on your insurance, I lost 3 windshields in 5 trips. Truckers don't always have mudflaps on the trailers.

-Hand tools

-Lots of cash, you will need to exchange it at the border, and then again at the Alaska Border. I wouldn't use debit/credit cards for many reasons, one the exchange rate is factored in, someone could fudge something up (happened to me, I ended up paying 1,200 for a tank of fuel in BC cause some dolt added a digit), and because MANY places along the al-can dont have the ability to take Debit/Credit, and some won't take US currency. You will be on E and pull into a gas station and dude will be like, "I cant help you".

-Speaking of gas stations, whenever you see one once on the al-can, FILL UP. I know for a fact its not uncommon to see 400+ miles between them.

-Don't expect stellar fuel economy. The altitude is high most of the trip and as such you will run slightly rich. In addition to that, there are many grades of 7, 8 and even one thats 12%. You will be able to identify it by the sand/gravel pit at the bottom...its designed to stop runaway rigs from flying off the mountain.

All-in-all a very beautiful drive, and one I would happily take again.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: express
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:10
tison1200 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
OK, Having made this exact drive 5x in my life, I can tell you, its a lot of fun. If you want scenery, I highly recommend the trek through Alberta, as its full of all kinds of fun stuff!

As for driving the Al-Can, I drove it last in June 2003 when my folks moved from Anchorage AK (Elmendorf AFB actually) to Fort Worth, TX when my dad Retired. You will want:

-10 gallons extra fuel

-2 spare tires (at least)

-Camping gear, complete with 1 firearm, preferably .45 or larger (even if you
do not plan on camping, it may save your life if you have to camp somewhere!)

-Spare belts/hoses

-1 extra set of HL bulbs (rediculous fine in Canada if you get pulled for a headlight out)

-some kind of rock protection for your truck, be it a temporary screen that mounts to the front (the kind you put on a car being towed behind an RV) or whatever...the gravel sections will destroy your paint.

-Glass coverage on your insurance, I lost 3 windshields in 5 trips. Truckers don't always have mudflaps on the trailers.

-Hand tools

-Lots of cash, you will need to exchange it at the border, and then again at the Alaska Border. I wouldn't use debit/credit cards for many reasons, one the exchange rate is factored in, someone could fudge something up (happened to me, I ended up paying 1,200 for a tank of fuel in BC cause some dolt added a digit), and because MANY places along the al-can dont have the ability to take Debit/Credit, and some won't take US currency. You will be on E and pull into a gas station and dude will be like, "I cant help you".

-Speaking of gas stations, whenever you see one once on the al-can, FILL UP. I know for a fact its not uncommon to see 400+ miles between them.

-Don't expect stellar fuel economy. The altitude is high most of the trip and as such you will run slightly rich. In addition to that, there are many grades of 7, 8 and even one thats 12%. You will be able to identify it by the sand/gravel pit at the bottom...its designed to stop runaway rigs from flying off the mountain.

All-in-all a very beautiful drive, and one I would happily take again.
Last time I made that trip was 2004. The great Alaskan hwy isnt so great lol. I remember a few areas where you came down a 7+% grade and at the very bottom was a 90 degree turn with no guard rail and a lake right in front of you Also have they fixed the road at all right before you get into Alaska? If I remember right thats where there was a ton of very BIG rollers in the road. Almost felt like you were on a ship in bad weather. Also for the OP watch out for rocks on the hwy. There were multiple areas where rocks the size of dimes all the way upto the size of a basketball were on the hwy. (they had fell from the mountain sides onto the road) Also be careful for moose and elk. There were a couple seperate occasions where I had to sit stopped in the middle of the hwy and wait for them to move. Honking your horn didnt seem to bother them. If you're driving at night be very careful for moose as they are really hard to see until its too late.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: inferno red
Rep:22
konarider2005 is on a distinguished road

nice weather thru out alberta for now possible rain in the next week if your coming thru here. fuel is $1.18ish per liter in southern alberta. just so you know if you are coming thru alberta
Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys!! I'm looking into getting an AFE CAI, so we'll see if that helps at all... We'll be leaving SOON and driving through Montana to hit the ALCAN highway.. not sure on where all through Canada that takes us other than through the Yukon Territory, but I'll have about 10gal of extra gas in the bed just in case, lol! Talked to a few friends up at Eielson a couple days ago and they said it was SNOWING while it's like 85 here in Illinois, lol... definitely looking forward to the change!

Thanks guys! I'll post up a thread about the trip to keep y'all updated!
D