DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 2500
Rep:26
BigRedOne is on a distinguished road

Not exactly sure. I'll take some exact readings on my way to the muffler shop next wkend and post on both rpm's and what the exhaust did for me.

Off topic but I love my IROK 37's. I was able to navigate 1 ft of snow at 30psi with ease, so no more airing down and back up as I traverse the snow line on my way to work. The only problem was that I needed goggles to run with the window down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IROK Snow Test 004 Large e-mail view.jpg (111.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Larimie SLT
Color: Silver & White
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:10
Xtremjeepn is on a distinguished road
Wink

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Jury's in: I don't think it was the cat's. As it stands with the 37's it runs best when I keep it ~ 2000rpm. Much lower and it labors to accelerate in 4th and 5th.

I ended up w/ magnaflow cat's (P/N 39006) and a double-in, single-out magnaflow big block muffler w/ a 3" madrel-bent exit pipe routed over the axle, behind the pass-side rear tire. I don't want the hassles that come with headers so I stuck w/ the OEM 2.25" pipes to the cats. The cats themselves are 2.5" in & out. My butt dyno says maybe 5% gain, maybe, but there is a noticeable gain in throttle response and torque coming off idle, making it easier on the clutch coming off a stop, but harder on the tires Note: Here in California we are forced to run cats or I wouldve ditched them long ago. Engine note is throaty but barely louder than stock and most importantly, no drone!

Re: rpms Im hitting 50mph at 1600rpm and at 65mph Im turning 1900rpm in 5th gear. My spedo is reading 55mph when I'm actually doing 65mph so when I think back to how it ran before I think it's just a matter of running out of hp necessary to overcome the added wind drag of the higher profile stance, plus overcoming the increased mass & inertia of the bigger tires.

Im hoping my fastman throttle body and cold air intake will make good use of these exhaust mods to give me more muscle to turn these tires. Ill likely post a new thread summarizing the combined results when I finish the whole setup.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
gunfighter is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info on the rpm's I have finally used my to tow with and it pulls like a train, 7k down the highway, like it was empty. if it weren't for stopping I wouldn't have known I had a load. Then I also got to use in in some mud, it's ok there, not enough rpm for me, just ran out of gear real fast. Might change my mind and go with a 35/36" inch tire then.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Gunfighter,
You said earlier you were running 285's but listed no second or 3rd #'s so assuming you're currently running 285/75/16's, then the 35's would put you ~10% lower in rpm from where you are now. Any more than that and I think you might be disappointed in the towing performance pulling a 7k lb load. I'm 18% lower in rpm from my 33's and wouldn't be at all happy towing this way. You can always run the mud a gear taller if you're short without topping out (unless you're goin' bonzai!) but being too tall towing puts too much spacing between gears resulting in more frequent up/down shifts, adding to fatigue on long distance tirps which could leave you wrung out once you arrive at your fun spots, to say nothing of the wear and tear on your clutch and drivetrain. Just my humble opinion.

FWIW, I'm contemplating going to 4.88:1 gears after doing the math. This will get me back to where I was w/ the 33's, and in fact I may go one step lower (5.38's I think) depending on how the throttle body and cold air intake do. But this is my ranch truck so my days of running significant highway miles are over.

Last edited by BigRedOne; 03-27-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V 10
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
thesoup is on a distinguished road

I just put a set of 4.56 in my pickup and so far love it. My acceleration has improved immensely and I have been able to keep a consistent speed on the highway with out having to shift down every time a hill comes up. Going at about 75 my rpm's are about 2500 but thats with 35 inch tires.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Update: I finally caught a break in the weather so put my tuned throttle body on and it runs much better now, however in the process I found a rats nest up against the air filter, blocking the flow! Several months ago I had a rogue rat that ate thru some wiring on my other car and I caught it in a trap so thought my problems were over but I guess he had been into my V10 engine as well. Anyway, it runs much better so the motivation to go to lower gears ins't as urgent now. I still need to install the K&N cold air kit but the hang up has been the customization necessary to get it to clear the aux battery. Hope to complete this upgrade in a couple wks after which I'll reassess the whole performance issue. I'll post again after that.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Update II: I said I'd post again after the cold air intake is installed so here it is.

It runs pretty well now. I'm actually pretty pleased with the improvement. It's still not as quick as it used to be on the 33's but it's actually pretty close now on 37's so for now at lesat I'm inclined to stay with the 4.10's. I'd go to 4.88's if I go up in tire size again (beyond 37's) but for now I'm staying pat.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
gunfighter is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update on your truck, sorry to hear about the rats nest. I'm working on getting a set of 37"s. Can't wait!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT 4x4 Regular Cab
Color: Metalic Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
CoolBlueDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunfighter View Post
Thanks for the update on your truck, sorry to hear about the rats nest. I'm working on getting a set of 37"s. Can't wait!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne View Post
Update II: I said I'd post again after the cold air intake is installed so here it is.

It runs pretty well now. I'm actually pretty pleased with the improvement. It's still not as quick as it used to be on the 33's but it's actually pretty close now on 37's so for now at lesat I'm inclined to stay with the 4.10's. I'd go to 4.88's if I go up in tire size again (beyond 37's) but for now I'm staying pat.

Any new updates??? Enjoyed reading this thread...