DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Ramsail is on a distinguished road
Default Busted!

Well, I got stopped by motor carrier enforcement in Indiana on Tuesday. Because the company name is on the trailer, I must comply with a pile of commercial requirements when pulling my cargo trailer. Here's what I have learned:

-If the stated capacity of your truck and trailer are 10,001 pounds and under 26,000 pounds, while being used for commercial gain, you are a commercial vehicle
-You must have DOT numbers and the carrier name on the vehicle.
-You must keep a logbook and comply with Hours of Service laws.
-You must stop at weigh stations
-You must have a valid DOT medical card on hand at all times.
-You do not need a CDL until 26,000 pounds.
-Even if you are actually under 10,000 pounds, if your capacity is over, you are considered over 10,000.

SO...I have an appointment with my doctor to get the DOT Medical card.

I also have material to make magnetic DOT Number signs so I don't have to drive around with them all the time as this is my daily driver.

I will have logbooks on hand and up to date when driving.

All in all, this is a lot of hassle, but he did let me go with warnings, so at least I'm not paying a pile of fines.
Curt front trailer hitch-Access Lorado tonneau cover-Mopar bed rug-Lund Genesis tailgate seal-Steelcraft black nerf bars-Putco SSR Locker bed rails-and Auto Ventshield bug deflector-Husky Liners Molded Mud Flaps-Thule Roof Rack-Thule Goalpost
Sponsored links
Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman QC 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Cherry
Rep:10
Icampalot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsail View Post
Well, I got stopped by motor carrier enforcement in Indiana on Tuesday. Because the company name is on the trailer, I must comply with a pile of commercial requirements when pulling my cargo trailer. Here's what I have learned:

-If the stated capacity of your truck and trailer are 10,001 pounds and under 26,000 pounds, while being used for commercial gain, you are a commercial vehicle
-You must have DOT numbers and the carrier name on the vehicle.
-You must keep a logbook and comply with Hours of Service laws.
-You must stop at weigh stations
-You must have a valid DOT medical card on hand at all times.
-You do not need a CDL until 26,000 pounds.
-Even if you are actually under 10,000 pounds, if your capacity is over, you are considered over 10,000.

SO...I have an appointment with my doctor to get the DOT Medical card.

I also have material to make magnetic DOT Number signs so I don't have to drive around with them all the time as this is my daily driver.

I will have logbooks on hand and up to date when driving.

All in all, this is a lot of hassle, but he did let me go with warnings, so at least I'm not paying a pile of fines.
All you have to do is cover the company name on the trailer and then you are legal. you then don't need all that other stuff !
Old 05-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: black
Rep:53
skinnysfd will become famous soon enough

Well it depends we fight this all the time . We usually pull campers back for a guy and since we are pulling the campers without tags on em we have to have dot numbers etc etc.... Also in ill,in,iowa,and michagan the above is true and technically now in SD you are supposed to pull into weigh stations if your over 10,000lbs trailer or not. The reason i was told was because of the states needing money. every state is different but i know DOT numbers are free and i have had em for about 4 yrs now and only ever had 1 inspection. Also with the log book i was told you can either get interstate or intrastate dot numbers and i believe interstate ones you are not required to have a log book if your not crossing state lines and if you stay within 100 air miles of your home/business. We have been going round and round with the dot here and their new big push is on the farmers and pulling heavy trailers with 1/2 tons and hell they are even pulling people over with campers now because they are not liscensed properly. All of my trucks are tagged and registered through the state for 20 tons. Now i know im not supposed to and rarely ever do pull 30,000 lbs but according to dot officer when he stopped me pulling my 53' gooseneck with my telehandler on it ( grossed at scales 37,890 lbs) i was legal because i was tagged for it. The way i see it is it cost me 390 a year to tag my truck and the physical and all the other stuff is free so it beats a 1,000+ fine. So sounds like you got it covered but i agree its a huge PITA at times.
2012 RAM 2500 HEMI AFE CAI flowmaster dual exhaust,airlift 5000 bags w/onboard compressor,shaved tailgate,2.5" lift/level tuftruck front springs,bushwacker pocket flares,gear alloy wheels, goodyear duratracs 315/70/17,bd gt hemiplus tuner much more coming
04.5,2006 5.9l cummins