DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SL
Color: Ugly 2 tone Factory Color
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Shawn D. is on a distinguished road

You have it much much worse. I had the samething happen on the door frame of my 2007 chevy impala. now i have all of the capabilitys of stripping the paint down and re-painting my self considering i have the know how and equipment but i said **** it and i experimented. What i used was the head light restorer kit from turtle wax and it worked great. the only difference from me to you is that you have it much worse then what i did. the size of my spot was just a little smaller then my hand. in your case youd benefit from just stripping it down to bare metal and repainting. Not a hard process, just a little time consuming and you need patientce. other wise you can do most of this yourself. definatly stripp it down yourself and if you dont have the confidence in spraying then bring it to a shop and have them spray it for ya.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4
Color: White
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
defiant is on a distinguished road

Your clear is failing in a few different ways. Acid rain(etching), chemical fallout, and the adhesion to the base is going away. You could wetsand with 600, and follow it with a 3 coats of rattlecan clear. Wait a week, and wetsand lightly with 800 then 1500, and polish. It will look a little better, and is a good way to learn the process of post paint finishing, but it will not stop the rest from continuing to get worse. If you go this way, don't use anything other than rattle can clear, because using an expensive two component urethane clear would be a huge waste of your money. I would recommend just repainting the entire truck. You could get away with spending about $600 in materials using a midline Dupont base/clear product. That is providing you already have a compressor, gun, and a place to do it. I can provide advice on how to handle this if you like as well. I painted my first car 12 years ago, after just reading books, and talking to the paint store guy, but it came out really nice, and it can be done on a budget if you do the research.