DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Green and Grey
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:14
81X11 is on a distinguished road

The new black tailgate decals were in the mailbox when I got home from work last night.

And yes, I KNOW it's not an R/T, but it IS a 5.9 and when I saw those decals on line I thought they looked really sharp.

I really REALLY like the black decal better than green. Matches the new pin stripes well too!

And just to show I've totally lost my mind, I made Misty park our Grand Prix on the rocks under the tree last night and put the Ram in the garage next to the GTO. .........I don't want the Ram to get dirty now that I did all this work...... : )

-Mike
Old 05-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:206
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Might trade you another Ram for that GTO !!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonocativo View Post
Might trade you another Ram for that GTO !!!!
The GTO is my long-term project. It's a 67 hardtop, in rare Plum Mist color. It's a huge project, was parked in 1981, but it was all original and all there. Hope to have it alive someday!

-Mike
Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 AM

Here's the latest on the Ram. I'll admit it, I've gotten a bit carried away fixing this big sucker up.

I dropped the truck back off at the body shop yesterday morning. They were supposed to wet-sand and buff the hood where there was some trash in the new paint. Well it turns out they could not get the trash out so they are now re-painting the hood. Wish I'd waited on putting on the new pin stripes and grill... Supposed to be done this evening.

In other news, the new OEM-style bumper fog lights came in last night. Looking forward to removing the cracked and melted horrible looking ones on there now. Pulled one of the new ones out of it's box last night and they look great!

Also I'd mentioned that I was still hearing a hiss from the intake at certain speeds. This after replacing the IAC module three times, with two different brands. Well I found out there is supposed to be a round gasket between the air cleaner box and the throttle body. The one on the truck is totally missing. The box is held on with a clamp, and I thought that was all there was to it. There was no gasket there when I took it off the first time myself.

Found the Fel-Pro gasket at O'Reilly for $1.99. If I can that annoying hiss for $2 I'm going to jump up and down. Ha!

-Mike
Old 05-17-2012, 12:40 PM

Got the truck back from the body shop after work last night. They ended up totally re-painting the hood, and it looks A TON better than it did! There was a lot of trash in the finish the first time, and it's all gone. Good deal.

Spent a few hours messing with things last night. First off, when the put the hood back on, it was sitting too far back on the passenger side...there was almost no gap between the hood and the door....oh-oh...I went to Maaco...ha. Loosened the bolts and aligned the hood, looks fine now.

Next I tackled the hissing issue. When you pull the air filter box off, this is what you see:

And found out there is supposed to be a gasket there. $2 at O'Reilly:

And now we have this:

I put the air box back on and fired the truck up, and the sould of the hiss was still there, but much quieter. I'd read online that over time the air box, which is plastic, can warp, and some people use two gaskets to get a good seal. I'd bought two on the off-chance mine was warper, installed the 2nd gasket on top of the first, put the aitbox back on, and the engine is quiet now! Woo-Hoo, $4 fix! Took it for a drive, and sometimes you just barely hear a hiss, but it's tons better, and that's why we have radios in cars, right? I think a little hiss is just going to part of the "Dodge Experience". ; )

Next I took the new fog lights out of their boxes, and got to work removing the old lights from the inside of the bumper. The bolts are not hard to get at, but you can't SEE them, they tuck up under the bumper edge, so you have to go by feel.

Guess which is the old one?

Got the new fog lights installed, and they look fantastic and are very bright, but they made my headlights really stand out as being yellowed. Could not have that. Got out the polishing compound and spent a half hour rubbing on the headlights.

Headlights before (and old faded bumper cover too...yuck)

And headlights after polishing:

Truck is looking TONS better. I'm planning to paint the door mirror housings, door handles, and wiper arms this weekend, and I have some silver touch-up paint on order from Maik Haik Dodge, but other than that, the outside is DONE! Woo-Hoo!

-Mike
Old 05-18-2012, 07:49 AM

When I did all the engine work a few weeks back I'd of course changed the nasty black oil that had been in there for Lord knows how long. I've since driven just over 500 miles, and the new oil had turned black. Hopefully just from mixing with whatever old oil was left in the engine.

Changed the oil and filter last night. Put Mobil High Mileage 5W30 in it and a good filter. Drove around a bit and the new oil is still a pretty gold color this morning. Nice.

While I was under the truck I looked at the freeze plug, and it seems to be holding fine. Don't see any new signs of leakage from the engine, hoses, trans, or rear end...looks like all the recent repairs are holding!

I've got to drive to Waco after work this evening, about a 200-mile round-trip, all highway. Taking the Dodge, we'll see how she does!

-Mike
Old 05-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:206
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Dont let the previous owner see it, he will want it back now....lol

Nice work, looks great... Amazing how a few simple things can make a world of difference.