DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

yeah, you're probably right but I just wanted to make him more paranoid than he already is. hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex View Post
Awesome response. This makes total sense. I wondered why my 2011 truck was made is 1984 (orwellian reference for the reading impared...)

I think that sensor has something to do with the homelink system. The instructions say to point your garage door remote at the overhead console while holding down one of the homelink buttons. I think the sensor there picks up the frequency of the garage door opener and programs it into the homelink buttons. Just a hunch.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
epatmd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
yeah, you're probably right but I just wanted to make him more paranoid than he already is. hahaha
Yes I am. But I can take a joke.
Looking at other threads it could be a green map light or rearview mirror light sensor. Can test that by covering it when bright lights in rearview mirror.
Onstar has prototypes of interior cameras out there but nothing I know of in use.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
epatmd is on a distinguished road

Not great jokes, just jokes.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:43
HotWheels is on a distinguished road

I was told when I asked that it was for the auto heat controls if equiped. kinda like a thermostat. Not sure if thats right though just what I was told.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Rep:11
redward is on a distinguished road

The manual said to look there for a flashing red light when I was programming my garage door opener with the homelink. After a few tries and obviously no red light, I noticed that the EVIC was doing the programming. So conspirasy theories aside I believe that it is a vestigial remain of homelink evolution.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 AM

Vehicle: '12 Ram Sport CC / '02 Durango
Rep:154
emjohn4 has a spectacular aura aboutemjohn4 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWheels View Post
I was told when I asked that it was for the auto heat controls if equiped. kinda like a thermostat. Not sure if thats right though just what I was told.

Correct - if he has the auto climate control (or even potentially remote start), it is an infrared thermometer.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge RAM
TeamPyro is on a distinguished road

So did we ever figure out and confirm what this indent in the overhead is that looks like a camera?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

ROTFLMFAO!!!!! Can't believe I missed this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
Well, of course it is. It's so the insurance companies can tell if you were drinking and driving, watching DVDs, getting a little passenger love, texting while driving, using the phone handset instead of the hands free system, even just eating a burger or whatever. It's also tied into the anti theft system, when someone tries to steal the truck, their picture is taken and sent thru the black box wireless network to the local 911 department for further identification. This is a way to help bring insurance cost down for them and for customers that have to pay for accidents they don't get into or fraudulent insurance claims.
This is also a legal way to track drug dealers. There is an air sniffer that has been modeled after the smelling sensory glands of a dog. It can pick up the scent of 99.9% of the drugs available. When it senses the drugs, your picture is taken along with the longitude and latitude coordinates of your location and sent to the local 911 department thru the vehicle wireless system. Don't try to disconnect it, there is a sensor on the trim panel that will take a snapshot of your trying to remove it and that is a federal crime, worthy of 3-7 years in a federal prison.

But really, if your installer is totally curious about it, have him take the bezel down and unplug the camera while wearing a mask and you could tell the feds that someone was trying to steal the truck.
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

some night, turn on your key, hold a white piece of paper up fairly close to the overhead console & then move it down towards your lower center dash

When it is pitch black outside, sit in your drivers front seat with the key on, so your lights are on & look at the center of your passenger side window
There is that green light reflection, that bugs me to no end, as i drive at night

The temperature sensor for your climate control, is hanging by your grille, drivers side, about in the center
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Express 4x4
Color: Flame Red
Rep:30
MissouriNomad is on a distinguished road

The conspiracy theory aspect of this thread is even spookier if reading while rolling across the Arizona dessert at 0430.