DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Jcon7487 is on a distinguished road
Angry 1st, 2nd, 3rd, WON'T Engage! Reverse Is Fine. Please Help!!

1999 Dodge 1500 5.2l 4x4 149K Miles. 46RE, Everything I have found points to it being a 46RE

Transmission works fine when it is cold. Drives fine while warm, but once I stop anywhere, get back in, it will not engage ANY of the Drive Gears. 1, 2, or 3 WILL NOT Engage. REVERSE works perfect.

I have to wait till it is fully cooled down before it will engage drive again. Just changed the Filter and Fluids, was very dirty, planning on driving for a week, then doing a Full Flush and Filter/Fluid change again. I really thought the dirty Filter would fix it enough to at least drive it for a week or so and repeat.

I have noticed some Sporadic Idle Surge and The Tranny Seems to search for Gears on the Freeway cruising about 65mph sometimes. Also when I first Accelerate, it seems to studder alot, unless I get the pedal in a certain spot. Not sure of the RPMs on that I'll have to check it when I get Ballsy enough to drive it again.

Any help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!! I'm getting frustrated and not sure what could be the issue?
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2009, 07:30 PM
erm

If the flush, fill and new filter doesn't clear up the problem, I'd suspect you may either need a computer reflash for the main PCM or a replacement Transmission Control Module.

Are you getting any check engine lights or error codes???
Old 09-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

No CEL's since I've Had It.

The Last Month Or So I have Noticed The Tranny Is Leaking Around The Pan A Bit & The Hose That The Check-Valve Is On Has Fluid On Both Ends Of It Too.. Almost Like Excess Pressure? I Don't Know Really.

I Don't Understand How Reverse Works Fine, and Drive Gears Work Fine After Engaged how The Tranny Could Be Bad? It Seems Like It Has To Be Slipped Or Mis-adjusted Linkage, or a Sensor Or Something Else Rather Than The WHOLE Trans? IDK.

This Is The 1st Auto I Have Ever Owned.

How Do You Reflash The PCM?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:46 PM
erm

Reflashing the PCM, and querying in through the Star Scan tool, is a dealer only operation, I'm afraid.

Even if some gears work, a failed or partial signal from the TCM or the PCM will cause the problems you are describing. It will also, in some instances, cause a transmission overpressure condition, creating leaks.

Given your mileage you may be experiencing a linkage adjustment issue but I don't suspect an internal transmission failure.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red/silver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
dirtsurferus is on a distinguished road

i have the same transmission and 133k miles. mine did the same thing but i replaced the solenoid and it worked for about a week then going down the highway came to a stop light and wouldn't shift out of 1st. the check engine light came on and the code was P1757. the probable cause was internal trans failure or short in the wiring. i'm taking it to aamco tomorrow to see if they can do the free check thing.

Literally the EXACT same thing happened as described above. changed the fluid and filter and then it stopped shifting. when i changed it the first time the fluid was black..like blacker than my oil honestly...and there were a lot of shavings. it stopped shifting so i changed it again and this time changed the governor solenoid and speed sensor and it worked for about a week before it stopped again.

the abs light came on and the brake light won't go off and the speedo won't work below 20 so i think the PCM needs flashed or TCM replaced. sound right? i'm just guessing from what i read above.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Reflashing the PCM, and querying in through the Star Scan tool, is a dealer only operation, I'm afraid.

Even if some gears work, a failed or partial signal from the TCM or the PCM will cause the problems you are describing. It will also, in some instances, cause a transmission overpressure condition, creating leaks.

Given your mileage you may be experiencing a linkage adjustment issue but I don't suspect an internal transmission failure.

Thanks for your Replies Maddog! It is very much appreciated!

You said that you DON'T suspect an internal transmission failure?

I just wanted to double check that it wasn't a typo? I also wanted to see if someone agreed with my thoughts. (I don't think the "whole" transmission is shot.) lol..

Thanks Again for your help & what part of Oregon are you in?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurferus View Post
i have the same transmission and 133k miles. mine did the same thing but i replaced the solenoid and it worked for about a week then going down the highway came to a stop light and wouldn't shift out of 1st. the check engine light came on and the code was P1757. the probable cause was internal trans failure or short in the wiring. i'm taking it to aamco tomorrow to see if they can do the free check thing.

Literally the EXACT same thing happened as described above. changed the fluid and filter and then it stopped shifting. when i changed it the first time the fluid was black..like blacker than my oil honestly...and there were a lot of shavings. it stopped shifting so i changed it again and this time changed the governor solenoid and speed sensor and it worked for about a week before it stopped again.

the abs light came on and the brake light won't go off and the speedo won't work below 20 so i think the PCM needs flashed or TCM replaced. sound right? i'm just guessing from what i read above.
Did you start having this problem "after" you changed Filter/Fluid or before?

Mine started to take a couple seconds longer to engage over a few day period, then had it all loaded up and was going camping, stopped at the grocery store, bought some food and ready to leave town, fired it up & it wouldn't engage in DRIVE.. You can imagine the words that I used to express my frustration. lol.. After about 20 mins, sitting in DRIVE it finally engaged & I drove it home. Let it sit til a couple days ago. Changed Filter/Fluid still same issue.

Fluid was a nasty Black like you explain. The magnet was COVERED, But I did not see any large chunks of metal or anything else. So my next plan of action is Flush and Fluid/Filter change. Remove Check-Valve, adjust bands etc..

Then if that's a No-Go then I'll try the Reflash Route. I really hate taking anything to a shop let alone the Dealer! lol. I've never taken ANY vehicle to a shop, done everything myself, My Dad was a Mechanic so I was lucky enough to have him make me do it all myself & learn, rather than him or a shop do it for me! lol
Old 09-14-2009, 02:58 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:62
boostjunkie1 will become famous soon enough

--- BLACK FLUID is a BAD sign..... Your TQ Converter is probably on the way out...... Gov Press Solenoid ...... Tran-Speed-Sensor .... Linkage ..... Valve Body ...... All will act up with burnt fluid. Your tranny cannot build the pressure it needs with hot fluid...The hot fluid is from the slipping TQ-Converter... Once the fluid cools down it gets thicker and can build pressure quicker... 140K out of your Auto is rare with no issues to date. Very problematic Auto tranny! Buy a performance tranny for $500 to $1000 more then what you are going to pay for a rebuilt 50k at best piece....... Don't waste your money throwing it at the other stuff..... You will end up replacing the unit very soon anyway!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red/silver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
dirtsurferus is on a distinguished road

wow. yea i just got off the phone with aamco and they said that the range for a complete rebuild is 1300-2200. there is no way that i am going to rebuild this shitty dodge tranny...i love dodge but their transmissions are terrible....when i can buy a completly new transmission for less than 1500. O yea...i just replaced the gov press solenoid and tran speed sensor..it made it worse. If i were to buy a manual would it bolt right up besides having to add the clutch pedal and everything accompanying that? cause i had a buddy tell me that i would have to buy a bell housing and then rig the shit out of it. The reason is i found a 5 spd transmission at a junk yard from a 97 1500 w/5.9L gas engine rebuilt with 1k miles on it for 800 w/300 core fee.

I had the same problem with the magnet. there were no large chunks but TONS of shavings. so many shavings that it created a paste around the magnet. when i pulled out the speed sensor and replaced it there were a ton of shavings on the end of that too.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 99 dodge ram
Color: red/silver
wildboyzracing is on a distinguished road

you need a trans. i have heard way too many horror stories about people changing their trans fluid at high mileages and them not pulling anymore. the reasoning i think is that the old fluid is so thick that it can build pressure in a wore out trans but when you change it the trans just cant operate any more. the stuff on the magnet is pieces of the internal clutches. long story short you need to rebuild or replace. sorry